Expectations

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Then why did we fire Gailey ?

0-forever against uga.

Edited to note: I was not a fan of firing Gailey at the time. He had just wrapped up a great recruiting class, and the 2008 class wasn't bad, either. I felt like firing a coach two years removed from an ACCCG was a mistake. That said, I loved the hire of CPJ once CCG was let go.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Because he could only win 7 Games.... And Wake Forest beat us in the ACC title game the year he did win 9 games and we lost the bowl game that year..
Again... Look back on the records... FACTS are FACTS... It is what it is!!! Are you a closet UGA fan posting on our Board???

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
0-forever against uga.

Edited to note: I was not a fan of firing Gailey at the time. He had just wrapped up a great recruiting class, and the 2008 class wasn't bad, either. I felt like firing a coach two years removed from an ACCCG was a mistake. That said, I loved the hire of CPJ once CCG was let go.

At the time I wasn't screaming to hire or keep him. Was pretty much neutral until...he played Reuben Houston in the last game following the judge's injunction. Then I was happy to see him go.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Because you can't just look at the overall record. As I said in another thread, Gailey brought us only mediocrity, with one good season that ended in an embarrassing collapse. Under CPJ, we have had 4 seasons in 9 years that I would argue were better than any of Gailey's 6 season (2008, 2009, 2014, 2016). For me, it is easier to forgive some mediocre (and even a couple of bad seasons) if they also come with some very good to great seasons as well. CPJ has done that, though I will admit he will be back on the hot seat if we don't get bowl eligible again this year.

Gailey's Record at Tech:
2002 Georgia Tech 7–6 4–4 T–5th L Silicon Valley
2003 Georgia Tech 7–6 4–4 T–4th W Humanitarian
2004 Georgia Tech 7–5 4–4 T–6th W Champs Sports
2005 Georgia Tech 7–5 5–3 3rd (Coastal) L Emerald
2006 Georgia Tech 9–5 7–1 1st (Coastal) L Gator
2007 Georgia Tech 7–5 4–4 3rd (Coastal) Humanitarian
Georgia Tech: 44–32 28–20

Johnson's Record at Tech:
2008 Georgia Tech 9–4 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) L Chick-Fil-
2009 Georgia Tech 11–3 7–1 1st (Coastal) L Orange
2010 Georgia Tech 6–7 4–4 T–3rd (Coastal) L Independence
2011 Georgia Tech 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Sun
2012 Georgia Tech 7–7 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) W Sun
2013 Georgia Tech 7–6 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Music City
2014 Georgia Tech 11–3 6–2 1st (Coastal) W Orange
2015 Georgia Tech 3–9 1–7 7th (Coastal)
2016 Georgia Tech 9–4 4–4 5th (Coastal) W TaxSlayer
2017 Georgia Tech 4–4 3–3 (Coastal)
Georgia Tech: 74–52 45–33

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
These threads strike me as very silly. Bailey was no better...no, he was worse....than CPJ. GTRX7 just posted facts which help you see that.

Ross and O'Leary weren't all that much better in W-L records either. O'Leary was 45-30 (0.600) and Ross was 31-26-1 (0.543). Both coached in very different eras when APR at a place like GT was not nearly the challenge it has become in the 21st century. IIRC, O'Leary was renowned for having guys take 5 plus years to graduate so academics wouldn't interfere with football. Can't do that today, folks. Even then, I remember O'Leary's defense struggling BIG time...especially when Joe Hamilton and Friedgen were around.

Bottom line is that some of the GT fans around here seem to have golden memories that are not rooted in reality. Our problems are real and deeper than one coach. They involve academics, curriculum, finances, recruiting and then you get to coaches and athletes.

Canning CPJ just because won't change our fortunes and could easily hurt them. I share the frustrations many GT fans have these days, especially with what appears to be a stagnant offense. Changing coaches can indeed sometimes rejuvenate a stagnant program. But, there really isn'y any data which suggest we can simply get back to Top 25 national prominence with one silver bullet like a coaching change.

I would prefer we keep this discussions fact based though.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
IIRC, O'Leary was renowned for having guys take 5 plus years to graduate so academics wouldn't interfere with football. Can't do that today, folks. Even then, I remember O'Leary's defense struggling BIG time...especially when Joe Hamilton and Friedgen were around.

People forget O'Leary's playing fast and loose with academics and athletes got us on probation in 2005, which is another reason the NCAA was all over us after DT took $300 in clothes from his cousin. We were repeat offenders.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
People forget O'Leary's playing fast and loose with academics and athletes got us on probation in 2005, which is another reason the NCAA was all over us after DT took $300 in clothes from his cousin. We were repeat offenders.
That and the dude investigating us was a UNC grad. It also didn't help the Drad went against his direct order to not tell CPJ.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I liked O'Leary but it seemed to me he was tired of coaching at Tech . ( maybe it was just me but for some reason he didn't seem to be into it the last year )

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ross and O'Leary weren't all that much better in W-L records either. O'Leary was 45-30 (0.600) and Ross was 31-26-1 (0.543). Both coached in very different eras when APR at a place like GT was not nearly the challenge it has become in the 21st century. IIRC, O'Leary was renowned for having guys take 5 plus years to graduate so academics wouldn't interfere with football. Can't do that today, folks. Even then, I remember O'Leary's defense struggling BIG time...especially when Joe Hamilton and Friedgen were around.
To be fair to both they inherited empty closets. That said, you are correct and we weren't as consistent as some people would like to believe.
Regarding Lil Joe and the Fridge, if we had a decent defense that would've been a really special year. In 98 we lost to BC 41-31 (at home no less) and then got crushed by FSU 34-7. (Granted that FSU team went to the BCS Championship game but we got manhandled at home again). 99 and 2000 were more of the same.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Because you can't just look at the overall record. As I said in another thread, Gailey brought us only mediocrity, with one good season that ended in an embarrassing collapse. Under CPJ, we have had 4 seasons in 9 years that I would argue were better than any of Gailey's 6 season (2008, 2009, 2014, 2016). For me, it is easier to forgive some mediocre (and even a couple of bad seasons) if they also come with some very good to great seasons as well. CPJ has done that, though I will admit he will be back on the hot seat if we don't get bowl eligible again this year.

Gailey's Record at Tech:
2002 Georgia Tech 7–6 4–4 T–5th L Silicon Valley
2003 Georgia Tech 7–6 4–4 T–4th W Humanitarian
2004 Georgia Tech 7–5 4–4 T–6th W Champs Sports
2005 Georgia Tech 7–5 5–3 3rd (Coastal) L Emerald
2006 Georgia Tech 9–5 7–1 1st (Coastal) L Gator
2007 Georgia Tech 7–5 4–4 3rd (Coastal) Humanitarian
Georgia Tech: 44–32 28–20

Johnson's Record at Tech:
2008 Georgia Tech 9–4 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) L Chick-Fil-
2009 Georgia Tech 11–3 7–1 1st (Coastal) L Orange
2010 Georgia Tech 6–7 4–4 T–3rd (Coastal) L Independence
2011 Georgia Tech 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Sun
2012 Georgia Tech 7–7 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) W Sun
2013 Georgia Tech 7–6 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Music City
2014 Georgia Tech 11–3 6–2 1st (Coastal) W Orange
2015 Georgia Tech 3–9 1–7 7th (Coastal)
2016 Georgia Tech 9–4 4–4 5th (Coastal) W TaxSlayer
2017 Georgia Tech 4–4 3–3 (Coastal)
Georgia Tech: 74–52 45–33
This is precisely my opinion, too. I am willing to live with the six or seven win seasons, but you have to give me the boom years. Johnson has done that. 2014 was the second best season for us in 50 years. That doesn’t get easily forgotten by me.