Expectations

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
I realize if you look back over the post Dodd era @ GT , that we're definitely not comparable to Notre Dame or USC in number of wins or titles , but a growing trend I see lately from GT fans is the acceptance that we can't be great or that we should simply settle for mediocrity!! THis infuriates me, I mean that's why we wanted Chan gone and now some people are ok with not beating top 25 teams!! I know we can't get in players that can't read or write like uga does, but people GT was on the rise in the days of O'Leary and Ross. We can get good players here. I think PJ is a good coach for the talent he gets, but don't yall realize that the system he runs is also crippling recruiting?? I'm tired of excuses and I think GT athletics ought to shoot for greatness.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Navy will post a graph he has of this .
Note it's hard to compare total wins of various periods - now we schedule two wins ( but lose one every couple of years).
Interested in your take after season.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We are fine. This team just has not been able to win the close games. We still fight hard and give great effort but the results are not what anyone expected or wants. You know each game has it's ups and downs and to a true fan they are all entertaining even though often frustrating. At the end of the day life goes on and you go back to work and try to get better. That's what these coaches and players are doing. Maybe the work will result in some wins down the stretch but it might not. In any event, as a fan, I am going to do my job which is to support Georgia Tech and our student athletes.

Go Jackets!

Animal02

Banned
I realize if you look back over the post Dodd era @ GT , that we're definitely not comparable to Notre Dame or USC in number of wins or titles , but a growing trend I see lately from GT fans is the acceptance that we can't be great or that we should simply settle for mediocrity!! THis infuriates me, I mean that's why we wanted Chan gone and now some people are ok with not beating top 25 teams!! I know we can't get in players that can't read or write like uga does, but people GT was on the rise in the days of O'Leary and Ross. We can get good players here. I think PJ is a good coach for the talent he gets, but don't yall realize that the system he runs is also crippling recruiting?? I'm tired of excuses and I think GT athletics ought to shoot for greatness.
Really? you think GT athletes do not shoot for greatness? That is a sad and disgusting viewpoint.
As for comparing today's situation in the NCAA with that of the time of O'Leary and Ross, and even more so the Dodd era......you are living in an alternate reality.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think you are misinterpreting people's real expectations for "settling for mediocrity " . Of course we want to be a great team, but is that a reasonable exspectation? How can we say we should be great when we don't have the funds, facilities, or majors ect to be great.

Last edited:

I like Bobby Ross, and George, but they did not bring us to the pinnacle of power. Yes 1990 was special but Bobby Ross went 2-9,3-8,7-4, 11-0-1,8-5
O'Leary 5-6,6-5.7-5, 10-2, 8-5, 9-3, 7-5.
And remember We did not have to play Florida State in the Ross years.
And in all the years stated we won 1 ACC Championship.
CPJ is heads and tails above this.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I have lived through the Bill Lewis years.... I have a hard time with anyone trying to tell me that the Coach Paul Johnson years are not the best years (1990 being the best year) since Bobby Dodd... I mean 1 Peach Bowl, 2 Orange Bowls, Multiple ACC title games , 1 ACC Title....

I think folks forget how bad it can be and all this crying on how our program is not strong shows how Coach Johnson has raised the expectations for our program. in 1994, I would have settled for a string of 7 win season and a bowl games... In 2006 I was hoping for an ACC Championship and a 10 Win season.

Paul Johnson has taken GT to the next level, and I glad the fan base wants to take the next step and become a year in and year out top 25 team. However two obstacles that Coach Johnson will need help with is getting the Hill to support that vision, and for the fan base who wants to win to donate over 15M to the program every year for the next 5 years... Until that happens, people are just barking up the wrong tree!! Go Jackets!!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We are fine. This team just has not been able to win the close games. We still fight hard and give great effort but the results are not what anyone expected or wants. You know each game has it's ups and downs and to a true fan they are all entertaining even though often frustrating. At the end of the day life goes on and you go back to work and try to get better. That's what these coaches and players are doing. Maybe the work will result in some wins down the stretch but it might not. In any event, as a fan, I am going to do my job which is to support Georgia Tech and our student athletes.

Go Jackets!
This is quite possibly the best post I have ever read! AMEN!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This thread is rubbish. How many national championships has Stanford won? Two. And none since 1940. And yet, they have won the National Athletic Directors Cup for 23 years - STRAIGHT.

It's not just winning. It's winning based on the resources you have and the type of students you have. Tech has no reason to do anything else other than to aspire to excellence and continue to compete on the field. As they've done for over a century.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You should compare prices. GT season tickets are a relative steal, and it's a source of shame that we cannot sell out our own stadium with prices as low as they are. Most major P5 schools fans would love to pay what we pay for tickets.

I posted something very similar to this on another thread earlier this evening. There is NO better sports/entertainment value in Atlanta that Tech season tickets!

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
Really? you think GT athletes do not shoot for greatness? That is a sad and disgusting viewpoint.
As for comparing today's situation in the NCAA with that of the time of O'Leary and Ross, and even more so the Dodd era......you are living in an alternate reality.
I was talking about fans and administration!! and what the heck is the difference in now and the O'Leary/Ross era?

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
I have lived through the Bill Lewis years.... I have a hard time with anyone trying to tell me that the Coach Paul Johnson years are not the best years (1990 being the best year) since Bobby Dodd... I mean 1 Peach Bowl, 2 Orange Bowls, Multiple ACC title games , 1 ACC Title....

I think folks forget how bad it can be and all this crying on how our program is not strong shows how Coach Johnson has raised the expectations for our program. in 1994, I would have settled for a string of 7 win season and a bowl games... In 2006 I was hoping for an ACC Championship and a 10 Win season.

Paul Johnson has taken GT to the next level, and I glad the fan base wants to take the next step and become a year in and year out top 25 team. However two obstacles that Coach Johnson will need help with is getting the Hill to support that vision, and for the fan base who wants to win to donate over 15M to the program every year for the next 5 years... Until that happens, people are just barking up the wrong tree!! Go Jackets!!
O'Leary beat uga 3 times in a row and he and Ross would've built dynasty's had they stayed

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
I like Bobby Ross, and George, but they did not bring us to the pinnacle of power. Yes 1990 was special but Bobby Ross went 2-9,3-8,7-4, 11-0-1,8-5
O'Leary 5-6,6-5.7-5, 10-2, 8-5, 9-3, 7-5.
And remember We did not have to play Florida State in the Ross years.
And in all the years stated we won 1 ACC Championship.
CPJ is heads and tails above this.
O'Leary took over a dumpster fire, Johnson inherited Nesbitt, Dwyer.!!!!!!