Expectations

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes that is another one.....but APR is the big difference.

Not really. Bama is in the top 25 in APR for 2017. So is Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, Louisville, Auburn, and Clemson. GT is 16th. It's not the impediment we make it out to be. After all, as long as the classes are offered to anyone, you can give A's to SAs all you want.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think PJ is a good coach for the talent he gets, but don't yall realize that the system he runs is also crippling recruiting??
I don't think it is crippling recruiting. It isn't helping but it isn't crippling it either. CPJ was brought here in an effort to give us a chance with lesser talent. For the most part, I think he has done that.

You may consider it a steal for those ticket prices I know what it cost me to go to a single game and it wasn’t cheap. I usually go to the ugag game vs tech at their ****hole and it’s cheaper for me.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You may consider it a steal for those ticket prices I know what it cost me to go to a single game and it wasn’t cheap. I usually go to the ugag game vs tech at their ****hole and it’s cheaper for me.

Dude, uga tickets are ALWAYS more expensive than GT tickets. If you are comparing face value ticket prices from the GTAA against stubhub/friends prices, then sure we'll lose. But compare the face values of both uga and GT tickets to comparable opponents and you will see just how cheap GT tickets are comparatively.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes that is another one.....but APR is the big difference.
Bobby Ross recruited the whole USA you have to do this to be successful at GT . This coaching staff seems to mainly just recruit the south and Bobby Ross had probably the best assistant coaches ever at GT. Bobby Ross inherited hardly any division 1 players and he started from the bottom . I remember him saying a O lineman is no good laying on the ground CPJ needs to make some coaching changes but he is not going to do it and it will cost him his job.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Bobby Ross recruited the whole USA you have to do this to be successful at GT . This coaching staff seems to mainly just recruit the south and Bobby Ross had probably the best assistant coaches ever at GT. Bobby Ross inherited hardly any division 1 players and he started from the bottom . I remember him saying a O lineman is no good laying on the ground CPJ needs to make some coaching changes but he is not going to do it and it will cost him his job.

We had a guy from Australia, just got a commit from Germany, we have a player from Hawaii, as well as players from California and elsewhere. Klock was from Pennsylvania. Attaochu was from Maryland. I don't think looking elsewhere for recruits is the problem.

Animal02

Banned
We had a guy from Australia, just got a commit from Germany, we have a player from Hawaii, as well as players from California and elsewhere. Klock was from Pennsylvania. Attaochu was from Maryland. I don't think looking elsewhere for recruits is the problem.
I think it is partly......I seem to recall CPJ, when he arrived at Tech, stressing recruiting locally. With our limited degree offerings, we do need to recruit nationally.......but that takes time, money and boots on the ground. Something that has been in short supply at Tech in the last decade thanks to paying millions to long gone coaches as well as bringing up the facilities to 21st century standards.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
The players Coach Ross got could have played for any team in the country can you say that now except for a handful of players .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think it is partly......I seem to recall CPJ, when he arrived at Tech, stressing recruiting locally. With our limited degree offerings, we do need to recruit nationally.......but that takes time, money and boots on the ground. Something that has been in short supply at Tech in the last decade thanks to paying millions to long gone coaches as well as bringing up the facilities to 21st century standards.

To be fair, two of the best 4 states for producing NFL talent out of HS are GA and FL, so recruiting locally makes a LOT of sense, especially when you can use the pitch of Mama being able to see you play. I just think the notion that we don't recruit nationally is farcical.

Animal02

Banned
Not really. Bama is in the top 25 in APR for 2017. So is Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, Louisville, Auburn, and Clemson. GT is 16th. It's not the impediment we make it out to be. After all, as long as the classes are offered to anyone, you can give A's to SAs all you want.
I meant the comparison of the CPJ reign vs the times of Ross and O'Leary.....they did not have to worry about players graduating.
As for comparing it to other schools currently.......the fact that GT is 16th, with STEM degrees only compared to the Bamas and Louisvilles etc......it says something about how well the coaches and Athletic department is doing with regard to taking care of the SAs.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary beat uga 3 times in a row and he and Ross would've built dynasty's had they stayed

If I remember correctly, both Ross and O’Leary had success, and promptly bolted Tech for better offers. That is sort of part of the problem getting a top 10 coach at Tech, you know, apart from the fact our coach is only the 40th highest paid coach in FBS.

Also, for those of us “settling for mediocrity,” I guess count me in. If you can promise me that, over the next 10 years, we will go to another 3 ACC title games and two orange bowls...yeah, I would probably take that. So would virtually every school in the ACC apart from Clemson and FSU. My biggest complaint is I would have liked one more against UGA over that time.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I meant the comparison of the CPJ reign vs the times of Ross and O'Leary.....they did not have to worry about players graduating.
As for comparing it to other schools currently.......the fact that GT is 16th, with STEM degrees only compared to the Bamas and Louisvilles etc......it says something about how well the coaches and Athletic department is doing with regard to taking care of the SAs.

Yes. I can see that side of the coin. I still feel as if the changed business model due to TV money is a bigger driver in the gap between programs, but when schools like Bama can skirt the APR requirements by placing their players in easier classes, and were stuck playing by the intent of the rules, then yes, APR is a detriment.

Animal02

Banned
To be fair, two of the best 4 states for producing NFL talent out of HS are GA and FL, so recruiting locally makes a LOT of sense, especially when you can use the pitch of Mama being able to see you play. I just think the notion that we don't recruit nationally is farcical.

I have posted this map before showing the hotbed areas for D1 players. Yes Ga and Fla, but there are some other concentrated areas that we play in or near......Western PA / eastern Ohio, the east coast. It would be nice if Tech had the resources to hit those areas more......especially when we play there.

http://mode.github.io/blog/2014-01-16-football-hometowns/index.html#

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Really? you think GT athletes do not shoot for greatness? That is a sad and disgusting viewpoint.

Please go back and read the post that you’re trashing. It said “GT athletics”, not “GT athletes”. There is a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Absolutely true! The problem is, the top tier of that talent goes to UGA, UF, Clemson, Bama, and Auburn. Oh, yea, and FSU and Miami.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk