Expectations

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I realize if you look back over the post Dodd era @ GT , that we're definitely not comparable to Notre Dame or USC in number of wins or titles , but a growing trend I see lately from GT fans is the acceptance that we can't be great or that we should simply settle for mediocrity!! THis infuriates me, I mean that's why we wanted Chan gone and now some people are ok with not beating top 25 teams!! I know we can't get in players that can't read or write like uga does, but people GT was on the rise in the days of O'Leary and Ross. We can get good players here. I think PJ is a good coach for the talent he gets, but don't yall realize that the system he runs is also crippling recruiting?? I'm tired of excuses and I think GT athletics ought to shoot for greatness.
Well, Gailey got fired more so because of going 0-6 against UGAg. That is not the only basis on which to judge a GT coach, and beating UGAg is not the end all be all of the season by any stretch. However, not beating them once is a problem.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The players Coach Ross got could have played for any team in the country can you say that now except for a handful of players .

I don't know and can't quickly find the stats, but players from that era of Tech football have told me that many of the better players stayed eligible by taking a bunch of electives. The APR (academic progress rate) requirement (started in 2006 iirc) makes that impossible.

I think what is underappreciated is that, at least in my day, many/most regular undergraduates didn't stay on track to graduate in 4 years. Even when we've brought in some really good players on D, they've transferred out after one year. I doubt that's because of our offense.

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
Who were the other coaches we were looking at in 08 and where are they now? Hatcher? Neuheisal? We went to the ob in 2014. CPJ has won an acc title. He's beaten uga 3 times. He's beaten top 25 teams. We're not going to be a system that reloads every year but we can reach top 10 with CPJ, he proved it. We're not settling we just know the realities.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Who were the other coaches we were looking at in 08 and where are they now? Hatcher? Neuheisal? We went to the ob in 2014. CPJ has won an acc title. He's beaten uga 3 times. He's beaten top 25 teams. We're not going to be a system that reloads every year but we can reach top 10 with CPJ, he proved it. We're not settling we just know the realities.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Neuheisel, Hatcher, Tenuta, Terry Bowden, Charlie Strong, Joker Phillips, and Randy Edsall were all interviewed. Yeah, I think we chose the right one.

jacob

Banned
Look at the argument the original poster made again. He said there was no depth on the line, and he was correct.
Augusta Jacket, why are you posting here? People are tying to say we should want to be better and are thinking of ways to be better than average and all you do is say "no we are average and will always be average." I don't quite understand why you're a fan if your happy with being average. And don't tell me you're just posting about reality. JUST BEACASUE WE HAVEN'T DONE IT IN THE PAST DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T DO IT NOW!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Augusta Jacket, why are you posting here? People are tying to say we should want to be better and are thinking of ways to be better than average and all you do is say "no we are average and will always be average." I don't quite understand why you're a fan if your happy with being average. And don't tell me you're just posting about reality. JUST BEACASUE WE HAVEN'T DONE IT IN THE PAST DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T DO IT NOW!

I don't follow your logic, but that's probably because you aren't using any. I'll ask you this: Do you buy season tickets to the football games? Do you donate to the GTAA? Because the reality is that this message board is just a place for fans to gather and discuss things. No change will happen here. Change happens when those who donate/support monetarily our program demand change. I am not happy with the current season, but unlike you, I don't think it's the end of the world yet. Why? three reasons:

1. Our defense is improving rapidly. It is trending in a very positive direction. At the end of last year, this was the single area I felt needed the most improvement.
2. Our O is inconsistent. It's not bad, it's just having trouble sustaining drives. As we have a new QB, and an injured line, as well as new starters at BB, this isn't entirely unusual. History has shown that CPJ can correct offensive woes.
3. ST, while currently a dumpster fire, is starting to get better already. King was hurt to start the season, and as he heals, we will hopefully see better results in this arena. Is it too late to help this year? Possibly, but again, it's not the end of the world.

So why am I posting here? Because as a donor and supporter, I have opinions. If you don't like those opinions, either reply to me with facts and evidence and logic, which I understand might be difficult, given your proclivity for anecdotal hyperbole, or hit that ignore button.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not Augusta Jacket, but we really don't need to question why someone is a Tech fan. It's not like we have so many we can run off the few we have here. Everyone has an opinion we don't have to agree with it but we should respect everyone. We all want Tech to go 14-0 and their have been different opinions on how to do it.
Yes after a loss it is hard but remember we are all fans of Tech.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm not Augusta Jacket, but we really don't need to question why someone is a Tech fan. It's not like we have so many we can run off the few we have here. Everyone has an opinion we don't have to agree with it but we should respect everyone. We all want Tech to go 14-0 15-0 and their have been different opinions on how to do it.
Yes after a loss it is hard but remember we are all fans of Tech.

FIFY

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone here realized that we are a mere couple of plays from being 7-1? We are close to being a really good football team. We are young and improving. We are playing a brutal schedule.

Did I envision being 4-4 at this point in the season? No. As any fan, I expected/wanted us to be 8-0. I am proud that our team never quits. We are competing in every game. We just need some confidence to push us over the top. Beating VT this weekend could help us get there. We have three tough games left, and I think we have a shot to win all three.

Being a Tech fan is not easy and it never will be. We will always be the team that has to work and try harder to be successful. But that also describes me and why I resonate with Tech so well. I was never the smartest or most talented kid, but if you talked to my teachers and coaches, there was no one that could out work me. I was always the first one to class/practice and the last one out. I want to be the scrappy team that isn't supposed to play with the big boys, but does and can beat them.

Jmonty71

Banned
The face value of my GT vs. VT tickets is $40. Granted, most of those tickets are sold out now, but VT is a better opponent than Kentucky.
Nope... Kentucky is in the "mighty" SEC. That alone is worth the extra cash... While, yes... team wise. VT is better. However; that SEC tag carries far more weight.