Expectations for GT Football

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Cincy couldn't run the ball late in the game and their passing game was not working. They couldn't make first downs to shorten the game. They were physically tired and got whipped on defense in the fourth quarter. I still was impressed by their team. They were a darn good team last year.

Cincy had a first and ten on their 32 with 1:52 on the clock (I'm watching it on youtube). If they snap the ball 3 times with 2 seconds on the play clock and run around in the backfield a couple of seconds, they punt with no time left on the clock!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Cincy had a first and ten on their 32 with 1:52 on the clock (I'm watching it on youtube). If they snap the ball 3 times with 2 seconds on the play clock and run around in the backfield a couple of seconds, they punt with no time left on the clock!
The defense is allowed to stop the clock by calling a timeout, FYI...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And also - 4th and 2 from the 40 with a minute and a half to go - do NOT punt the ball to Ugag late with the game on the line, no matter what. I've seen how that movie ends all too many times.
Not sure about that one. Others more knowledgeable can chime in but the problem I had was the Cincy coach passing on third down when UGA had no timeouts. When the clock is your friend let it put pressure on the other team by not stopping it.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I totally disagree, but the point is moot. The playoffs will expand and end up at 16. It may take another 20-25 year period but it’s inevitable. And I totally agree with it. Right now after a 2 loss September 90% of fan bases know it’s over and will move on other than a rivalry game here and there. As another poster pointed out, kids of today are following completely different sports than we are. By going to 16, every fan base can at least believe they’ll eventually have their “up” year and get in. And talk about opt outs. In this current system of only 4 you’ll see opt outs in October soon and it will creep to after the 2nd loss soon. An expanded playoff will keep players and fans engaged. And if a kid opts out with his team in the playoffs then so what. He‘ll have to live with that the rest of his life.
RE: opting out, it would also tank their draft stock. What team would want to draft a guy that quits before a playoff game? It's one thing to opt out of a bowl game that has no bearing on anything, it's another to leave if you are in the playoffs. Plus I doubt anyone would anyway - these guys are competitors and no way do they quit. They all think they are going to pull off that upset.

I agree with your assessment that it's going to expand, at least to 8. Also the rest of it regarding opt-outs etc.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I totally disagree, but the point is moot. The playoffs will expand and end up at 16. It may take another 20-25 year period but it’s inevitable. And I totally agree with it. Right now after a 2 loss September 90% of fan bases know it’s over and will move on other than a rivalry game here and there. As another poster pointed out, kids of today are following completely different sports than we are. By going to 16, every fan base can at least believe they’ll eventually have their “up” year and get in. And talk about opt outs. In this current system of only 4 you’ll see opt outs in October soon and it will creep to after the 2nd loss soon. An expanded playoff will keep players and fans engaged. And if a kid opts out with his team in the playoffs then so what. He‘ll have to live with that the rest of his life.
Keep expanding and you kill and ruin what makes college football special and unique to the NFL - A meaningful regular season. People want to expand the playoffs but it will just end with a bunch of SEC teams getting a rematch against each other. In my opinions you could expand it to 64 and end up with the same 4 99/100 times. This isn’t basketball. You can expand it how ever much you want, doesn’t mean it will solve the problems. What’s wrong with College Football today is there’s less parity then there’s ever been, you don’t create more parity by adding easier routes for teams to playoffs. If I was in charge my #1 goal is to make non Playoff Games meaningful again and allow players to get bonuses and paid for winning bowl games.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Keep expanding and you kill and ruin what makes college football special and unique to the NFL - A meaningful regular season. People want to expand the playoffs but it will just end with a bunch of SEC teams getting a rematch against each other. In my opinions you could expand it to 64 and end up with the same 4 99/100 times. This isn’t basketball. You can expand it how ever much you want, doesn’t mean it will solve the problems. What’s wrong with College Football today is there’s less parity then there’s ever been, you don’t create more parity by adding easier routes for teams to playoffs. If I was in charge my #1 goal is to make non Playoff Games meaningful again and allow players to get bonuses and paid for winning bowl games.
I agree with some of this, but, in fact, it would make sense to expand to a 8 or 12 team playoff. Provided, that is, that the teams that get in are conference champions. No also rans allowed and no use of rankings to determine who gets in. That would not automatically get rid of the "Bammer and Clemson, again?" problem, but it would make it less likely and give the non-P5 conference champs a chance to show what they can do. It would also make the bowls more meaningful. What it comes down to is that I think Steam is downplaying the role of plain bum luck in football, especially when you get into a real playoff. You can see this in Div 3 and I wouldn't be surprised to see it crop up in an expanded BCS playoff.

But … given the perceived need for blockbuster TV ratings, I don't look for this any time soon.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not disagreeing, but you are wishing for something that is already history. It went from a vote, to 2 teams, then 4. It will expand again and again. And yes we’ll have rematches, etc. We already do in the conference championship games, ala ND/Clemson.

Now I do disagree that the regular season is “meaningful“. How is it meaningful if teams who are undefeated or have 1 loss get left out to a big named team? The regular season is as corrupt as the playoffs and everything else associated with the NCAA. My dream is that the mid level or low level teams get a chance when that 1 in 20 special years come along. Which is why I’ll enjoy watching an expanded playoff system so the Boise’s, Cincys, UCF, GT’s, etc have a chance. And for me it all goes back to our 1990 season. The fact that we had to share a title still chaps my you know what. And GT was darn close to not even getting a share. The final coaches poll was 30-27 for GT. The AP was 39-20 for Colorado. All it took for GT to be robbed was 2 coaches picking Colorado. How the heck was that season “meaningful” if all it took was for 2 coaches who didn’t like GT could have changed history. If Bobby Ross wasn’t as well liked as he was no way we get the votes. It had nothing to do with the games.

That is why with all the warts and rematches, I‘d take that all day over a corrupt conference room making the picks, ala the media picking McCartney.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
You mean like when a team literally loses to a team in the regular season and then the powers that be decide they need to rematch for the MNC?

Meaningful regular season went out the window a long time ago...
Agree. But what irks me, we could lose our first game and basically be out of the hunt. Alabama and OSt, they’re just getting the kinks out.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree. But what irks me, we could lose our first game and basically be out of the hunt. Alabama and OSt, they’re just getting the kinks out.
These days you do not have to win your division and can still make the playoff. I believe both Alabama and Ohio St have made the playoff without even playing for their conference championship.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
These days you do not have to win your division and can still make the playoff. I believe both Alabama and Ohio St have made the playoff without even playing for their conference championship.
Yes. Which is why playoff needs expanding with a rule that the first four teams in have to have won a conference championship.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes. Which is why playoff needs expanding with a rule that the first four teams in have to have won a conference championship.
Should be at least an 8 team playoff. 5 P5 Conference Champs, best G5 Conference Champ, and 2 at large teams. Only caveat is that in a year that produces 2 unbeaten G5 conference champs, then both go and 1 at large team. Wanna make the regular season meaningful again? Make a conference championship critical. This will never fly, but it's the fairest way.

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan
Should be at least an 8 team playoff. 5 P5 Conference Champs, best G5 Conference Champ, and 2 at large teams. Only caveat is that in a year that produces 2 unbeaten G5 conference champs, then both go and 1 at large team. Wanna make the regular season meaningful again? Make a conference championship critical. This will never fly, but it's the fairest way.
I think you could make it work with a 6 team playoff with automatic p5 conference champions and a g5 team. The problem really is the committee though no matter how much you expand

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you could make it work with a 6 team playoff with automatic p5 conference champions and a g5 team. The problem really is the committee though no matter how much you expand
You forgot about ND. No system will be approved without including them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
6 teams with all spots guaranteed by conference championships will never be approved. The SEC and Big10 will want the ability to get more than one team in. The Big12 will want that opportunity, but probably never achieve it.

If an 8 team playoff, with P5 conference champions guaranteed in, were used in my opinion the committee wouldn't be as big of a deal. I have said this before, but currently the committee decides who is left out. If the conference champions are guaranteed a spot, then the committee cannot exclude a team that has actually earned a spot. The role of the committee is changed from decided who to leave out to deciding which non-qualifiers deserve a second opportunity. There would be zero P5 teams who did everything they were supposed to do and were still left out.

GT_EE78

Banned
You got it.If each P5 conf champ is automatically in the CFP that's 65 teams which is about half of the FBS.

slugboy

Staff member
What are we talking about here?

Confused Pulp Fiction GIF