Expectations for GT Football

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
With all the "juice," "404," "$$$down," Waffle House cup, and Adidas hype, why can't I expect 8 or 9 wins next season?? Or will somebody actually tell me those things are gimmicks?
Your post reminds me of the Cola Wars. Asked how Coke won the lion’s share of the global market, Roberto Goizueta quipped, “They invest in slogans, videos, and glitzy ads. We invest in trucks, infrastructure and process. Foundational things.”

slugboy

Staff member
Since 2015, the ACC champion has been Clemson. Notre Dame this past year was the one recent contender. Before that, it was FSU, going on to play for titles.

The way it is right now, "Winning the ACC" = "Playing for a national championship". If Collins does that, rest assured that we'll tell you.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised you guys don't watch through the good and bad, as members of this forum. Georgia Tech football is the best part of my week every fall, even in 2015, 2019, and 2020. When toe meets leather at 12 or 3:30 or 7:00, we have a chance to win and that's all that is going through my head at that moment.

I'm expecting big things in 2021 and 2022. This is a very talented roster but it is very young.

LibertyTurns

Banned
When toe meets leather at 12 or 3:30 or 7:00, we have a chance to win and that's all that is going through my head at that moment.
I think this statement is at the crux of the issue. We used to feel like we had a chance to win and we did, not so much anymore. We need to get back to the point where we’re at least somewhat competitive. A huge bar to clear with CGC.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this statement is at the crux of the issue. We used to feel like we had a chance to win and we did, not so much anymore. We need to get back to the point where we’re at least somewhat competitive. A huge bar to clear with CGC.

I think this is rather bleak outlook. In 7 out of the 10 games we were in the ball game well into the 4th quarter iirc. Wouldn't find much joy in this during year 5 or 6 of a coach's tenure but, for year 2, I felt we WERE competitive by and large. Maybe our definitions of "competitive" differ?

LibertyTurns

Banned
we
I think this is rather bleak outlook. In 7 out of the 10 games we were in the ball game well into the 4th quarter iirc. Wouldn't find much joy in this during year 5 or 6 of a coach's tenure but, for year 2, I felt we WERE competitive by and large. Maybe our definitions of "competitive" differ?
We were close in some scores late but realistic chances of winning them were mostly nonexistent. It appeared to me that most teams played conservative because we had little or no chance of scoring. If we had been a real threat you’d have seen much different game plans from opposing coaches.

My prediction of 5 wins next year puts me in the pipe smoking category. The rosy consensus on here is another 3 win suck cycle. Yet, I’m bleak.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Considering our schedule, a 5-win season would be an outright success. But even if we do that, CGC will be on the hot seat come 2022. '21 is year three of the Geoff era, and that's when many of us have been expecting a great leap forward for the program. It may not be fair to CGC, but that's how I think things will play out.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We are already losing fan and financial support, and it has little to do with football success. The fact is we are not replenishing and older fanbase with enough invested younger fans to make up the difference. It's a major reason we keep falling behind in the arms race. Current students aren't as invested in football as students were as recently as 25-30 years ago.
+1

Sad but true. So many other things to do and having all that Atlanta offers for entertainment.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
That is why we need to get to the business of winning. Example, look at Atlanta United a year ago. It's called Winning and Having Fun at the Games. I left at half-time against Clemson and drove 80 miles back home. If Stansbury and Collins can't get the job done, then find someone with a better vision.
They have the vision, but sometimes there are headwinds in hurdles that have to be overcome. One of those does include financial donations, selling all of our season tickets so there are not empty seats in the House.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
They have the vision, but sometimes there are headwinds in hurdles that have to be overcome. One of those does include financial donations, selling all of our season tickets so there are not empty seats in the House.
When Blank bought the Falcons, he was told by the players one of there big issues were so many empty seats in the stands. He came up with $100 seats for 10 games and sold out. Now reality is GT doesn't have the same pull as the Falcons (not even close). But I have sent direct emails to multiple ADs about providing free seats or donor donated seats in the Upper North stands for youth leagues, military, etc. to fill up our stadium. We obviously don't have to do that for UGA, Clemson and Notre Dame. But I do think allocating some number of giveaways would do a better job of filling our stadium until the play (hopefully) improves and we can generate more Season Ticket holders. I think it would have a big impact on crowd enthusiasm and I think would help recruiting. Even if the seats were free, hopefully we would get some added revenue from concessions.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
When Blank bought the Falcons, he was told by the players one of there big issues were so many empty seats in the stands. He came up with $100 seats for 10 games and sold out. Now reality is GT doesn't have the same pull as the Falcons (not even close). But I have sent direct emails to multiple ADs about providing free seats or donor donated seats in the Upper North stands for youth leagues, military, etc. to fill up our stadium. We obviously don't have to do that for UGA, Clemson and Notre Dame. But I do think allocating some number of giveaways would do a better job of filling our stadium until the play (hopefully) improves and we can generate more Season Ticket holders. I think it would have a big impact on crowd enthusiasm and I think would help recruiting. Even if the seats were free, hopefully we would get some added revenue from concessions.
I understand your thinking. But if I spend $2 k for tickets is it being fair for the season ticket holders? If you want to cut the prices for everyone than it would be fair. But they won't do it

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm going to push back slightly on part of this.

Robert Putnam, the "Bowling Alone" guy, has looked at why "social capital" has declined in the US (and other places, but let's leave that aside). He looked, iow, at why social clubs and overall in-person social contact has decreased. One of the major factors he found was - wait for it - TV. Before the explosion of TV as a source of entertainment, people had to go out of the house to get it. So they went to bowling alleys, clubs, local taverns, ect. in great numbers. Now we don't. We stay at home and either watch TV or, nowadays, call up HULU and watch movies, documentaries, game shows, and sporting events. Like college football. As in every game Tech plays. As little as 10 years ago this wasn't possible or profitable for college sports programs. Then overall attendance began to flag and the conference networks were started to provide the money.

I don't think interest in college football has declined so much. The necessity to attend games in person, however, has. Why show up if its hot or cold or raining or "it's hard to park" or <your favorite excuse here>; just watch the game on TV or your computer. This even applies for away games; they're all on TV too. Further, the saturation mentioned is also due to broadcasting all the games. For every team, almost. Combine this with a student body that has more diverse sports interests and you have the dilemma that is plaguing schools all over the country. Shoot, Bammer had to make attendance at football games mandatory for students not long ago. As for sidewalk fans … they can turn on a TV or computer too. Why spend the money and time?

Now, me, I like to go to college football games. I think the experience is a lot of fun, much more then watching the game at home. Even when Tech is having problems - like it is now - I usually go anyway. But that's because I'm socialized to do it. Younger people aren't and they really aren't interested in watching the team lose.

Btw, I don't think there's an easy way out of this. Or the donor question either.
There's some truth here, but I think there has been a decrease in interest in traditional sports among the younger generation. I see it in my kids and their friends. There are a few die hard fans, but most of them don't really care. Tech isn't alone in this.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
In NC where I am, the mostly white kids play soccer rather than football and both are fall sports. There are lots of youth soccer leagues starting at 6 years old but very few youth football leagues. They have grown up playing soccer so more interested in that. I think in GA soccer is a spring sport so kids can do both. The two big high schools in Chapel Hill have had to cancel their football seasons on occasion due to a lack of participants. It's a different world now.