Expectations for GT Football

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’m not disagreeing, but you are wishing for something that is already history. It went from a vote, to 2 teams, then 4. It will expand again and again. And yes we’ll have rematches, etc. We already do in the conference championship games, ala ND/Clemson.

Now I do disagree that the regular season is “meaningful“. How is it meaningful if teams who are undefeated or have 1 loss get left out to a big named team? The regular season is as corrupt as the playoffs and everything else associated with the NCAA. My dream is that the mid level or low level teams get a chance when that 1 in 20 special years come along. Which is why I’ll enjoy watching an expanded playoff system so the Boise’s, Cincys, UCF, GT’s, etc have a chance. And for me it all goes back to our 1990 season. The fact that we had to share a title still chaps my you know what. And GT was darn close to not even getting a share. The final coaches poll was 30-27 for GT. The AP was 39-20 for Colorado. All it took for GT to be robbed was 2 coaches picking Colorado. How the heck was that season “meaningful” if all it took was for 2 coaches who didn’t like GT could have changed history. If Bobby Ross wasn’t as well liked as he was no way we get the votes. It had nothing to do with the games.

That is why with all the warts and rematches, I‘d take that all day over a corrupt conference room making the picks, ala the media picking McCartney.
You just don’t understand that with an Expansion the little Cinderella’s might have 1 team sneak in and get boat raced against #1. This year with expansion, based on final rankings before the bowls, 3 different 2 loss teams would’ve made it, no thanks.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You just don’t understand that with an Expansion the little Cinderella’s might have 1 team sneak in and get boat raced against #1. This year with expansion, based on final rankings before the bowls, 3 different 2 loss teams would’ve made it, no thanks.
For me it would be more than just a better way to crown a champion. If you expand the playoffs then you have the opportunity to create more compelling matchups. Lets say this year it was Bama, Clemson, OSU, ND, A&M, Okla, Oregon, Cinn in that order. Yes Bama would have probably boat raced Cincy but then again Bama would have boat raced anyone they played. The other matchups Clemson/Oregon, OSU/Okla, ND/A&M would in my opinion be pretty compelling matchups to watch. Sure you could match them up in other bowl games but no one cares about the other bowl games, including the players. Playoffs would add some significance to it. Plus we might actually see some competitive playoff games if we went to that kind of model, instead of the garbage blowouts that we usually see.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
2021 ACC Schedule:

Here's how I see our schedule breaking down:

Teams GT should have good chance to win (7): NIU, KSU, Pitt, Duke, UVA, VT, BC
Teams GT will be an underdog but can win if we play really well (3): UNC, Miami, ND
Teams GT will be a big underdog and will have to play perfect + get help to win (2): Clemson, UGA

Next season will be a good year to play ND as they will lose their QB (Book), multiple guys along an OL that was rated one of the best OLs in modern era. Only problem is we get them towards the end of the season.

Miami loses a lot of defensive talent, but will return a stud QB. Our defensvie line will be upgraded, and we'll have guys at LB and DE that can cause their QB issues.

Not sure what to make of UNC. LOTS of talent on the team, but loses games they shouldn't. Their QB is really good though.

Of the 7 we have a good chance of winning, I see us favored in 4 of them (NIU, KSU, Duke, BC). We should be able to win those games.

If we can't find 2 more wins among the rest of our schedule, than our coaches need to look in the mirror. We definitely have enough talent to win 6 games next season.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
2021 ACC Schedule:

Here's how I see our schedule breaking down:

Teams GT should have good chance to win (7): NIU, KSU, Pitt, Duke, UVA, VT, BC
Teams GT will be an underdog but can win if we play really well (3): UNC, Miami, ND
Teams GT will be a big underdog and will have to play perfect + get help to win (2): Clemson, UGA

Next season will be a good year to play ND as they will lose their QB (Book), multiple guys along an OL that was rated one of the best OLs in modern era. Only problem is we get them towards the end of the season.

Miami loses a lot of defensive talent, but will return a stud QB. Our defensvie line will be upgraded, and we'll have guys at LB and DE that can cause their QB issues.

Not sure what to make of UNC. LOTS of talent on the team, but loses games they shouldn't. Their QB is really good though.

Of the 7 we have a good chance of winning, I see us favored in 4 of them (NIU, KSU, Duke, BC). We should be able to win those games.

If we can't find 2 more wins among the rest of our schedule, than our coaches need to look in the mirror. We definitely have enough talent to win 6 games next season.

I think we will be fortunate to win four games. Your optimism does you credit but instead of the 3 games we can win that you surmise, I see 5 games we will probably lose and I see only 3 games that we should definitely win in NIU, Kennesaw State, and Duke. Pitt, UVA, BC, and VT are all better than we are at present but I will concede we can beat any or all of them. This is the most challenging schedule for Tech in living memory, certainly since the days of Bobby Dodd and the SEC. Most years in those days, Tech played Florida, UGA (neither of which was the powerhouse they are today but always had talent) Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Tennessee. The latter two were more formidable then than now. I think the main difference between our outlooks: yours sunny, positive and uplifting while mine is gloomy, cynical, and depressing is that I just do not think we have a good football team especially on either line. Proof is in the pudding, so I am open to being persuaded by what I see in the fall.

I think we will be fortunate to win four games. Your optimism does you credit but instead of the 3 games we can win that you surmise, I see 5 games we will probably lose and I see only 3 games that we should definitely win in NIU, Kennesaw State, and Duke. Pitt, UVA, BC, and VT are all better than we are at present but I will concede we can beat any or all of them. This is the most challenging schedule for Tech in living memory, certainly since the days of Bobby Dodd and the SEC. Most years in those days, Tech played Florida, UGA (neither of which was the powerhouse they are today but always had talent) Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Tennessee. The latter two were more formidable then than now. I think the main difference between our outlooks: yours sunny, positive and uplifting while mine is gloomy, cynical, and depressing is that I just do not think we have a good football team especially on either line. Proof is in the pudding, so I am open to being persuaded by what I see in the fall.
Actually, the hardest schedule we have played in my lifetime......1980
Notre Dame #1
UGA #1
Alabama #2
UNC #10
Florida
Auburn
Tennessee
Tulane
Duke
Navy
Memphis

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Steam,
I understand your point of view. But I’ll always take more games than less. Besides, as I stated there is no going back now. And your last sentence of “just picking the best two” says it all. Who the heck is this wizard behind the curtain who we can trust to pick the best 4? If it were up to me we’d have a 64 team field and prove it on the field.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’m not against the Pure Form of Expansion and trying to make more teams get a chance. I’m am just 100% against the argument that expansion simply will solve the big problems in modern CFB. I just don’t think it adds anything to the table in CFBs current state. We will still get down to the same 4 teams. Also like I said earlier it only takes one opt out from an 8th seed to flip the whole thing on it’s head. Let’s say a stud RB is on the 8th ranked team, he knows Bama/OSU/Clemson hasn’t allowed any RB to perform well all season, does he play that game and risk injury and negative draft stock?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame #1
UGA #1
Alabama #2
UNC #10
Florida
Auburn
Tennessee
Tulane
Duke
Navy
Memphis
Poor Bill Curry. I had forgotten about that. I stand corrected that is the hardest schedule even worse than this one. There was talk about trying to get back into the SEC and the Bear did his best to sponsor us but UGA and the Mississippi schools said no. That resulted in a short lived, thank God, unbalanced schedule that contained both ACC teams, SEC teams and a few independents. Coach Curry must have thought the football gods were crazy with saddling him with two number one opponents in the same year as well as number 2 Alabama. UNC, Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee. Ouch! The only saving grace was the bottom four teams were pretty bad but we still lost to three of them.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame #1
UGA #1
Alabama #2
UNC #10
Florida
Auburn
Tennessee
Tulane
Duke
Navy
Memphis
To think we managed to tie number one Notre Dame. I was at that game and Tech who had people on defense that would hit you pretty good, crowded the line of scrimmage and dared the quarterback to hit receivers down field. He had a really bad day and was missing them by inches. That team only won one game and tied Notre Dame but played pretty good defense under the circumstances. Florida killed us and UNC shut us out in a rout but we played respectably against both Tennessee and Auburn. Even UGA with you know who, we played competitively for a while.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
To think we managed to tie number one Notre Dame. I was at that game and Tech who had people on defense that would hit you pretty good, crowded the line of scrimmage and dared the quarterback to hit receivers down field. He had a really bad day and was missing them by inches. That team only won one game and tied Notre Dame but played pretty good defense under the circumstances. Florida killed us and UNC shut us out in a rout but we played respectably against both Tennessee and Auburn. Even UGA with you know who, we played competitively for a while.
Didn't we lose Mike Kelly for the year down in the Swamp?

Notre Dame #1
UGA #1
Alabama #2
UNC #10
Florida
Auburn
Tennessee
Tulane
Duke
Navy
Memphis

And to further add
7 teams went to a bowl
UGA 12-0 Bowl
UNC 11-1 Bowl
ND 10-1-1 Bowl
Bama 10-2 Bowl
Navy 8-4 Bowl
Fla 8-4 Bowl
Tulane 7-5 Bowl
Auburm 5-6
Tennessee 5-6
Duke 2-9 but beat Clemson....go figure
Memphis 2-9

In Camparison

UGA played only 4 teams with winning records and 3 bowl teams that year.