Navy 8-4 Bowl
Fla 8-4 Bowl
Tulane 7-5 Bowl
Auburm 5-6
Tennessee 5-6
Duke 2-9 but beat Clemson....go figure
Memphis 2-9

In Camparison

UGA played only 4 teams with winning records and 3 bowl teams that year.
Funny how that works isn't it? The best teams play the weaker schedules and the teams that are struggling somehow end up with a nightmare like this. It is actually worse than I remember because Navy was usually pretty bad all through the 1970s but had a pretty good team in 1980 as did Tulane. Florida had great talent but as the Gators typically did back then underachieved. They had UGA on the ropes until near the end. The team that impressed me that year the most was not Notre Dame or UGA but UNC they had an awesome defense.

Jmonty71

Banned
I expect to see Sims have a better season, with less INTs. I expect to struggle on the offense, to score points, as our OC is predictable and unimaginative. I expect the defense to be a little better, but nothing to write home about. I expect 4 to 5 wins. I would like to say more win, but I think we continue the trend of beating ourselves with mistakes. I expect to lose 2 games that we should of won, but mistakes cause us to lose. I think we are a good 2-3 years away from anything resembling a bowl team.

Funny how that works isn't it? The best teams play the weaker schedules and the teams that are struggling somehow end up with a nightmare like this. It is actually worse than I remember because Navy was usually pretty bad all through the 1970s but had a pretty good team in 1980 as did Tulane. Florida had great talent but as the Gators typically did back then underachieved. They had UGA on the ropes until near the end. The team that impressed me that year the most was not Notre Dame or UGA but UNC they had an awesome defense.
1990 Georgia Tech opponents
NCST 7-5 Bowl
Chatt 6-5
South Carolina 6-5
Maryland 7-5 Bowl
Clemson 10-2 Bowl
UNC 6-4-1
Duke 4-6
UVA 8=4 Bowl
Va Tech 6-5
WF 3-8
UGA 4-7
Nebraska 9-3 Bowl

UGA was one of the worst teams we played. 9 teams with winning records

Question...maybe related or could be on recruiting board but weren't we at 17 commitments and today rivals shows 16. Did we lose someone?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
NCST 7-5 Bowl
Chatt 6-5
South Carolina 6-5
Maryland 7-5 Bowl
Clemson 10-2 Bowl
UNC 6-4-1
Duke 4-6
UVA 8=4 Bowl
Va Tech 6-5
WF 3-8
UGA 4-7
Nebraska 9-3 Bowl

The ACC was a powerhouse in 1990.
4-1 head-to-head vs. the SEC in the regular season
4-1 in bowls, the lone loss being Virginia losing to Tennessee by one point.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
NCST 7-5 Bowl
Chatt 6-5
South Carolina 6-5
Maryland 7-5 Bowl
Clemson 10-2 Bowl
UNC 6-4-1
Duke 4-6
UVA 8=4 Bowl
Va Tech 6-5
WF 3-8
UGA 4-7
Nebraska 9-3 Bowl

Seems like, based upon my ever declining memory having seen most of those games in person including the Nebraska game was that the Cornhuskers were the best team but UVA had by far the best offense. Herman Moore and company were really great. Number one when we played them but collapsed down the stretch. Maryland and Clemson were also very good that year. It was not a weak schedule by any stretch but we had trouble with a couple of ordinary teams like UNC and Virginia Tech. I honestly believed after watching Tech's bowl game and Colorado's bowl game that if we played them 10 times we would win 7. IMHO

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Herman Moore? or the quarterback?
Looked it up because I could not remember and it appears it was the quarterback Shawn Moore who gave Tech so much trouble. He actually played in the Sugar Bowl, which I had forgotten, but was coming off a dislocated thumb so Tennessee only had to defend the run game. This was the QB who was a Heisman candidate who prior to his injury could throw 60 yard darts.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Seems like, based upon my ever declining memory having seen most of those games in person including the Nebraska game was that the Cornhuskers were the best team but UVA had by far the best offense. Herman Moore and company were really great. Number one when we played them but collapsed down the stretch. Maryland and Clemson were also very good that year. It was not a weak schedule by any stretch but we had trouble with a couple of ordinary teams like UNC and Virginia Tech. I honestly believed after watching Tech's bowl game and Colorado's bowl game that if we played them 10 times we would win 7. IMHO
Agree. Colorado won two games as a direct result of poor officiating and our offense would have run all over them.

I actually believe Clemson was our toughest game we played that year. Clemson went on to crush Illinois, the tam that beat Coloradio

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Nebraska put eight starters on D that game into NFL! I think 3-4 were 1st rounders, and yet we destroyed them.