Expectations for GT Football

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The system is corrupt. Integrity and ethics have no home in this system. If you want to be true to your standards then you should be leading the charge to get GT out of the system. I’d stand with you on that. But since GT continues to visit the cathouse we might as well pick the pretty one.

I know I got you all worked up over words on a message board but come on with all the ethical stuff. I guess if I say, if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying, would also get you worked up. To think any school including GT is ethical is a joke. I had classes with several high profile athletes on the 1990 Final Four team. Some of these guys had no business taking up a seat in GT classroom. Talk about ethics. We used these guys to put money in our pocket just like football. Collins was hired because of his pedigree at high profile SEC schools. He was hired by GT to bring GT in the actual game of college football rather than just throwing a team on the field every Saturday. If you can’t see that after 2 years I don’t know what more it will take for you and others to realize GT has finally decided to compete as an overall program. The fact that GT apparently gave Key some assurances tells me it’s full steam ahead. And no, I don’t think it’s unethical to punch a guy in the face during a boxing match but it’s probably frowned upon if it’s done at Olive Garden.
So I guess our Orange bowls Coastal championships 11 win seasons we were not really competing.....lol...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He was hired by GT to bring GT in the actual game of college football rather than just throwing a team on the field every Saturday. If you can’t see that after 2 years I don’t know what more it will take for you and others to realize GT has finally decided to compete as an overall program.

After 2 years he is 6-16, with bad losses to FCS Citadel, mediocre FBS teams, and several bad ACC teams. He brought in an excellent 2020 recruiting class but his 2021 class is 45th after early signing day, 11th in the ACC, 6th in the Coastal. His prospects for having GT in a bowl next year are low. I surely can't see it yet.

Now, do I believe he will correct this? Sure. I have faith in his approach and will support him, but he surely hasn't shown consistently yet that he's the one to take us to the promised land.

Either way, my original point stands: I wish EJ luck and even insinuating that he would be better off lying to get a medical scholarship is wrong. Doing the right thing is always the best thing, but you do you.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
This is where I simply don’t understand what goes thru the minds of some parents. This young man can attend one of the top universities for free along with all the bennies, aka tutors, food, and best dorms yet he gives it up, for what? I don’t understand how any parent couldn‘t look down the road just 4 years.
I REALLY hope this isn’t about a lack of playing time vs a degree in Aerospace Engineering.
If so, I’d suggest repaying that scholarship money he took from another deserved, focused student.
In fact, I would suggest that if a kid enters the Portal it comes with a penalty or repayment of scholarship.
Let’s not forget what college education is SUPPOSED to be about, which is precisely not a lottery ticket chance to professional sports fame.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
So I guess our Orange bowls Coastal championships 11 win seasons we were not really competing.....lol...
Well, the 2008 championship (built on Gailey's 2007 recruiting class) was vacated. 2012, we were Coastal co-champions with a 6-6 record. 2014 we were Coastal Champions, but went to the Orange Bowl as losers of the Championship game.

Some of you think that's a good enough track record over an 11 year period. Some of us think we can do better.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, the 2008 championship (built on Gailey's 2007 recruiting class) was vacated. 2012, we were Coastal co-champions with a 6-6 record. 2014 we were Coastal Champions, but went to the Orange Bowl as losers of the Championship game.

Some of you think that's a good enough track record over an 11 year period. Some of us think we can do better.
The 2008 Coastal Division championship was not vacated. The 2009 ACCCG win was vacated. Clemson's loss was not vacated.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

I think we could get into the ten win per year category. Outside of Clemson and Georgia, there are no real heavyweights on our schedule.

Deleted member 2897

I mean, life could be worse. In that 11 years we won the Coastal Division 3 times and finished 2nd twice. So half the time we either won the division or nearly did. 1 losing record in conference play out of those 11 seasons. And that's despite getting absolutely f'd with scheduling. 8 bowl games. 2013 was kind of the epitome to me of the tenure - we went a meh 7-6, but all 6 of those losses were to 8+ win teams. So sometimes we just have really tough scheduling.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think we could get into the ten win per year category. Outside of Clemson and Georgia, there are no real heavyweights on our schedule.

There are 4 teams, 5 including ND, whom we play every few years, who out recruit us substantially. One of those teams appears to have fixed their coaching problem. We are either going to have to elevate our recruiting to their level or hope for continual bad coaching on their part to be a perennial 10 win team.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow

It only took us 20 (conference championship) and 50 years (OB appearance) to replicate those milestones, but sure - it’s bound to be the normal under new leadership sooner or later. :rolleyes:

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
There are 4 teams, 5 including ND, whom we play every few years, who out recruit us substantially. One of those teams appears to have fixed their coaching problem. We are either going to have to elevate our recruiting to their level or hope for continual bad coaching on their part to be a perennial 10 win team.
I think that’s the plan right? Steadily elevate our recruiting to a level where we are competing for conference championships regularly.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope. O'Leary had 5 consecutive AP Top 25 final finishes. You did not see anything near that from 2008-2018.
two of those 5 seasons had 5 losses with an absolute hatred from any small school from a crap conference to get any votes into the top 25. another season had 4 losses.

in 2016, going 9-4 didnt even get us into the top 25.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Integrity is a gift you give yourself.

The system is corrupt. Integrity and ethics have no home in this system. If you want to be true to your standards then you should be leading the charge to get GT out of the system. I’d stand with you on that. But since GT continues to visit the cathouse we might as well pick the pretty one.

Wow. Forget football. There is a life dilemma in these two posts. I agree with both and you have to decide where the line is for you. And only you.

These kids have to decide what is best for them and who they want to be.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
A lot of our fan base has low expectations. You get what you are willing to make happen.

I have higher expectations than the results we have seen for most of the last couple of decades. So did Kim King (if some of you know who he was). Time to quote him again.

"Do I think that Tech can compete for a national championship under the current setup. No, not really. So I was a shocked as anybody at what happened in 1990. Do I think that Tech has a chance to be a really good team and finish in the Top 10, Yes I do. Maybe not year in and year out, But I do think they could be a regular Top 25 team and compete for the ACC on a regular basis. And I still think that's the case at Tech." Kim King

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
It only took us 20 (conference championship) and 50 years (OB appearance) to replicate those milestones, but sure - it’s bound to be the normal under new leadership sooner or later. :rolleyes:

0 conference championships.
0 OBs.
O'Leary had 5 consecutive AP Top 25 final finishes. You did not see anything near that from 2008-2018. 2008, 2009-then without mostly Gailey recruits-one more AP Top 25 finish in 2014. So don't talk about "milestones". O'Leary did better from 1997-2001 (within the last 25 years) than the so called milestones of 2008-2018. He also had 3 consecutive victories over UGa, not 3 in 11 years.
We were the second best team in the ACC those O'Leary years when FSU was a powerhouse (like Clemson now) but FSU went to the Orange Bowl as the ACC Champs. There was no playoff to give us an Orange Bowl bid (like in 2014) as the runner up. Apples and oranges comparison for the years you cite, pun intended If FSU had not gotten into the playoff in 2014 there would have been no Orange Bowl for Tech. The premise of your post is completely void of factual and logical underpinning.
Show me one conference championship trophy presently at Tech from the last 50 years--other than 1990. There is not one. I'll show you a national championship trophy that is at Tech, However, it wasn't won since 2008, nor was it won more than 50 years ago.
There were no division championships for most of the years you cite because there were no divisions in the ACC until 2005.
Essentially, we've been a mediocre program since Homer Rice (and his hires) departed. Yes 2014 was a good year, but that's been about it. One "milestone" aberration surrounded by years of mediocrity, including a division co-championship and an ACC championship game appearance with a 6-6 regular season record in 2012. Talk about mediocrity!.
2010-2018 were years of mediocrity surrounding 2014. Milestones indeed. Your post has an absence of factual basis or logical conclusion.

Did you learn to roll your eyes at The Citadel when you put forth such misleading hypotheses? You should know better. Fall and give me 20.

Keep being satisfied with the mediocrity we've seen for the last 20 years. You won't be disappointed. I'll continue to expect us to get back to where we were at the turn of the century. Like Kim King did, Geoff Collins, Stansbury and I will keep believing. We can do it, but not when the fanbase is happy with the results of the last decade and are thrilled with a couple of "milestones," each of which are tainted with an asterisk.