Expectations and thoughts?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Georgia and Tennessee, headed by Saban acolytes, and SC, by a former Georgia guy, are sparking flaps among both ACC and SEC coaches for, how to say, questionable recruiting practices. Some reports of contacting players not just committed to but already signed for the fall by other schools -- apparently the Russians aren't the only ones familiar with various social media -- and some so far small but still illegal "giftings" showing up unsolicited: balls, caps, jerseys and the like. They do not take losing recruiting battles easily, but if other schools start losing signed players to them, look out, NCAA. (Again, these are not merely "committed" athletes -- they are fair game until they sign the scholarship offer. These are signed players.)
A lot of schools try to "flip" players it's not uncommon at all.....................................................just sayin';)

Georgia and Tennessee, headed by Saban acolytes, and SC, by a former Georgia guy, are sparking flaps among both ACC and SEC coaches for, how to say, questionable recruiting practices. Some reports of contacting players not just committed to but already signed for the fall by other schools -- apparently the Russians aren't the only ones familiar with various social media -- and some so far small but still illegal "giftings" showing up unsolicited: balls, caps, jerseys and the like. They do not take losing recruiting battles easily, but if other schools start losing signed players to them, look out, NCAA. (Again, these are not merely "committed" athletes -- they are fair game until they sign the scholarship offer. These are signed players.)
I don't doubt any of what you are saying (the factories will do anything), but do you have any specific instances of these violations?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt any of what you are saying (the factories will do anything), but do you have any specific instances of these violations?
I do, and it is awkward so I will leave it at this: keep an eye out for a good ACC program releasing a 4-star freshman recruit, signed and delivered, and see where he winds up. The coach's view was that he couldn't do for the kid what he wouldn't do for himself, and he didn't want a player in his program who didn't want to be there. It is vague I know but somewhere, I am sure, somebody keeps a list of player releases.

I do, and it is awkward so I will leave it at this: keep an eye out for a good ACC program releasing a 4-star freshman recruit, signed and delivered, and see where he winds up. The coach's view was that he couldn't do for the kid what he wouldn't do for himself, and he didn't want a player in his program who didn't want to be there. It is vague I know but somewhere, I am sure, somebody keeps a list of player releases.
So why did the kid sign a LOI to begin with? Was he pressured to do so, or is he just stupid?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
the lack of a big WR is the biggest reason IMO that we'll only win 6. Our O does best when we've got a Waller, Smelter or Thomas to come up with a big catch. I don't know if we've got anyone like that on the team. Without that downfield threat, we're very 1-D and much easier to stop.

Yep. There is no one who is a credible threat on the outside. The ultimate putdown is for an average defense to play straight up man to man with little or no safety help play after play and get away with it. If we cannot make opposing defenses pay they will bring those safeties up and stuff our running game. We can't block all of them no matter how much Coach Johnson schemes. Stewart, Camp, and Dolphus have a lot to prove. The opportunity is there for big plays but you got to get separation right off the bat.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ obviously likes to have at least 1 big physical receiver that can block. No problem with that but I really think we need a speed burner at the other receiver that will force teams to cover deep. I am a fan of BS but would like to see more speed out there to keep the safeties honest.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
PJ obviously likes to have at least 1 big physical receiver that can block. No problem with that but I really think we need a speed burner at the other receiver that will force teams to cover deep. I am a fan of BS but would like to see more speed out there to keep the safeties honest.
Ten years of watching convinces me that if Johnson had Calvin Johnson on one side and Demaryius Thomas on the other, one would catch a lot of balls. The other would run up and down the field and look busy.One doesn't have to understand his passing offense. It just is.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we win 7 games.
The FG kicking game will improve. HOPE kick coverage and kick return improves.
We get more turnovers on defense.
Taquon will start and if he carries it as much as last year, will likely get injured and miss a game or games.

If he carries as much as he did last year...it will be a very long season.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If he carries as much as he did last year...it will be a very long season.
You do recall that he is the leading rusher returning in the ACC? I don't think he'll be carrying the ball as much this year because opposing DCs now see that forcing him to keep the ball - they did that a lot last year - is not the first choice they should make.

But say they do. I bet TM would run for 1200 - 1400 yards if they force him to run. I doubt he'll get badly hurt either. He started every game last year and he'll have Benson to take up the slack.

Again, however, I think the combination of a healthy OL - please let that happen - and a healthy Lynch will do wonders for the outside game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You do recall that he is the leading rusher returning in the ACC? I don't think he'll be carrying the ball as much this year because opposing DCs now see that forcing him to keep the ball - they did that a lot last year - is not the first choice they should make.

But say they do. I bet TM would run for 1200 - 1400 yards if they force him to run. I doubt he'll get badly hurt either. He started every game last year and he'll have Benson to take up the slack.

Again, however, I think the combination of a healthy OL - please let that happen - and a healthy Lynch will do wonders for the outside game.
I am not sure that "forcing him to keep the ball" is an accurate description of his option skills. Let's face it. In 2017 we were a lousy option football team running an option offense adapted to "QB keeps the ball and runs real fast, one way or the other." We were a much better option team in Johnson's very first year when almost nobody thought it would be successful so quickly. The difference was in the QB, and Tennessee was not his only bad option read.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Tech has a tough schedule again... and a new defensive scheme... and GT is one of two non-SEC schools (Louisville is the other) that will face two opponents from last year’s College Football Playoffs. We have Clemson and Georgia on the schedule both will be tough. GT travels to Virginia Tech for a Thursday night game. The Hokies are 13-4 at Lane Stadium on Thursday nights. A 4-1 start is possible if the Yellow Jackets can win on back-to-back weekend trips to South Florida & Pittsburgh. (Pitt has given us problems, tough games always) From there, bowl eligibility might hinge on taking two of three from Duke, North Carolina and Virginia. (We lost to Duke & UVA last year) With two losing seasons in the last three, I would take a seven win regular season heading into bowl season with the chance to win 8. If we can sweep Duke, UNC, and UVA we might have 8 wins with a shot to win 9 during Bowl season like in 2016....I would take that every year.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

THIS ++++++

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tech has a tough schedule again... and a new defensive scheme... and GT is one of two non-SEC schools (Louisville is the other) that will face two opponents from last year’s College Football Playoffs. We have Clemson and Georgia on the schedule both will be tough. GT travels to Virginia Tech for a Thursday night game. The Hokies are 13-4 at Lane Stadium on Thursday nights. A 4-1 start is possible if the Yellow Jackets can win on back-to-back weekend trips to South Florida & Pittsburgh. (Pitt has given us problems, tough games always) From there, bowl eligibility might hinge on taking two of three from Duke, North Carolina and Virginia. (We lost to Duke & UVA last year) With two losing seasons in the last three, I would take a seven win regular season heading into bowl season with the chance to win 8. If we can sweep Duke, UNC, and UVA we might have 8 wins with a shot to win 9 during Bowl season like in 2016....I would take that every year.
In my fondest dreams, we knock both Clemson and Georgia out of the NC contention. It is unlikely and improbable but hardly impossible. Maybe the slogan should be "We got them out". If I have to pick one, Clemson is easily the best representative from the ground up. They have calculated the teams they have to beat and we are not among them. I'd like to be there.

In my fondest dreams, we knock both Clemson and Georgia out of the NC contention. It is unlikely and improbable but hardly impossible. Maybe the slogan should be "We got them out". If I have to pick one, Clemson is easily the best representative from the ground up. They have calculated the teams they have to beat and we are not among them. I'd like to be there.
I think the mutts will be out of the NC picture long before we play them.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan

He also ran the ball 247 times in 11 games which also leads the ACC. He should be the returning leading rusher.