Expectations and thoughts?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you just use "good" and "UT" in the same sentence?
Hehe. I paused for sure, but with Dobbs, Kamara and Barnett they were good. They underused Kamara but this UT team was, if not "good", talented. Was thinking it shows that the talent gap isnt really dispositive, and that scheme and execution matter. Had UT stretched the field with Kamara, Hurd, Jennings and Malone like Miami did with their zone bubble stuff, they would have been a nightmare, especially for the GT/App sized Ds.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
As to the defense, I believe the more aggressive style will pay off in attitude and results. Where it will pay off may not be so much on the defensive scoreboard as on the offensive side, because one way or another the defense is going to get off the field. There has for some time now been an incongruity between having a ball control offense somewhat negated by a bend-but-don't-break (at best) defense. In short, our defense is going to allow our offense more opportunities to put points on the board.

On offense, it is ALL about the offensive line. Having DeFoor and Marshall back from injury will help, although we will really miss Stickler. Even more important is that all the returning linemen will be a year older and a year stronger (and most all of them return). We had a lot of injuries there last year on OL, and hopefully that won't be the case this year. Cooper has got to return 100%. IF we can stay relatively healthy on the OL, it promises to be a great year for us. If this OL can stay healthy, I look for ginormous yardage racked up by an injury-free Clinton Lynch and company at A back, and we are very solid at B back as well. But by far the most important variable this year will be the health of the OL.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we win 7 games.
The FG kicking game will improve. HOPE kick coverage and kick return improves.
We get more turnovers on defense.
Taquon will start and if he carries it as much as last year, will likely get injured and miss a game or games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As to the defense, I believe the more aggressive style will pay off in attitude and results. Where it will pay off may not be so much on the defensive scoreboard as on the offensive side, because one way or another the defense is going to get off the field. There has for some time now been an incongruity between having a ball control offense somewhat negated by a bend-but-don't-break (at best) defense. In short, our defense is going to allow our offense more opportunities to put points on the board.

On offense, it is ALL about the offensive line. Having DeFoor and Marshall back from injury will help, although we will really miss Stickler. Even more important is that all the returning linemen will be a year older and a year stronger (and most all of them return). We had a lot of injuries there last year on OL, and hopefully that won't be the case this year. Cooper has got to return 100%. IF we can stay relatively healthy on the OL, it promises to be a great year for us. If this OL can stay healthy, I look for ginormous yardage racked up by an injury-free Clinton Lynch and company at A back, and we are very solid at B back as well. But by far the most important variable this year will be the health of the OL.
Like your post and point about the spill over in attitude.

In past defense would let them drive the field they score or wec stop them for a missed field goal or a punt inside the 20.

if the d can get us better field position or quickly get the ball back for the offense, excitement will pass from defense to offense.

Would be great to have a united team.

Besides Marshall ,who never played , i can't agree that we had many injuries on he starting ol. what's concerning is the back ups aren't pushing for starting time.

Your thought about the experienced Skilled backs is exactly what Cheese said after 14. I was sure the returning ol would be all we needed in 15. Cheese said the timing and blocking take time to learn. Your post has me more optimistic. Thanks

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Like your post and point about the spill over in attitude.

In past defense would let them drive the field they score or wec stop them for a missed field goal or a punt inside the 20.

if the d can get us better field position or quickly get the ball back for the offense, excitement will pass from defense to offense.

Would be great to have a united team.

Besides Marshall ,who never played , i can't agree that we had many injuries on he starting ol. what's concerning is the back ups aren't pushing for starting time.

Your thought about the experienced Skilled backs is exactly what Cheese said after 14. I was sure the returning ol would be all we needed in 15. Cheese said the timing and blocking take time to learn. Your post has me more optimistic. Thanks

I'm optimistic about the defense.

As to the offense, there are a lot of caveats. If Cooper returns 100%, and if Marshall is ready, and if DeFoor can help us out, and if all the o-linemen are hitting the weight room and eating their Wheaties, and if they all stay relatively healthy, I think we rock and roll. Big. But we are pretty thin up there, and if we lose a couple of them we might be in some trouble. The thing is, it all depends on the OL. I think the rest of the offense is reasonably solid, and some of it is spectacular (e.g. a hopefully healthy Clinton Lynch), but everything hinges on the OL. "The LINE is thinly drawn 'tween joy and sorrow". - Paul Simon

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm optimistic about the defense.

As to the offense, there are a lot of caveats. If Cooper returns 100%, and if Marshall is ready, and if DeFoor can help us out, and if all the o-linemen are hitting the weight room and eating their Wheaties, and if they all stay relatively healthy, I think we rock and roll. Big. But we are pretty thin up there, and if we lose a couple of them we might be in some trouble. The thing is, it all depends on the OL. I think the rest of the offense is reasonably solid, and some of it is spectacular (e.g. a hopefully healthy Clinton Lynch), but everything hinges on the OL. "The LINE is thinly drawn 'tween joy and sorrow". - Paul Simon
Hopefully, Coach has a hands on attitude with the ol coaches

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

Agreed. I made the same point about our defensive style and controlling TOP. Also agree there are " ifs " on our OL , as there seem to be every year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What expectations do you have for the team? Or do you have any expectations?

Do you expect that the D will be better?
Do you expect to rush for more yardage, than last year?
Who do you expect the starting QB to be?
Who will take over as the #1 WR?
Do you expect to be in a bowl game, this coming season?

Just curious what the overall thoughts are. Please list other questions and let's talk some football.

I think we will win 6 maybe 7. We play three teams slated to be preseason top 10. We play at Virginia Tech and there is the problem of Duke. I don't know much about Louisville but we play at their place as well. I do not care to make predictions about the defense because it will be totally different. Some things will be better some might be worse. We will see. I see us in a minor bowl of some sort but no major break through. Could be wrong and those predicting 9 or 10 wins might be right. After all it is a year with a positive number. Most posters seem to believe that the offense will come down to improvement by Marshall at quarterback and having a healthy productive offensive line. Seems about right. One thing is for sure, people who dismiss Marshall may be surprised. That young man has absolutely no quit in him and his teammates will run through walls for him. This will be fun for sure.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Expectation: 8 wins, better D, better passing, and overall more consistent offense.

Thoughts: We could win the ACC and have a 2014 type year (hopefully better) I say this because a more aggressive D will hopefully put more pressure on offenses to score if we are getting negative plays and turnovers which will cause them to “press” we also have a lot coming back on offense with another year under their belt, so the offense will be much more efficient imo.

We could go without one 1,000 yard rusher but still have 3 guys around 800-900 yards a piece.

With a healthy OL it could be one of the best in a long time.

Defense could exceed most expectations.

BOLD PREDICTION ALERT: Camp could have 1,000 yards.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Expectation: 8 wins, better D, better passing, and overall more consistent offense.

Thoughts: We could win the ACC and have a 2014 type year (hopefully better) I say this because a more aggressive D will hopefully put more pressure on offenses to score if we are getting negative plays and turnovers which will cause them to “press” we also have a lot coming back on offense with another year under their belt, so the offense will be much more efficient imo.

We could go without one 1,000 yard rusher but still have 3 guys around 800-900 yards a piece.

With a healthy OL it could be one of the best in a long time.

Defense could exceed most expectations.

BOLD PREDICTION ALERT: Camp could have 1,000 yards.

It's BOLD all right. I will give you that. Defense "could exceed expectations" but it could also end up being worse. I appreciate your enthusiasm and candor but I do not see this team as winning the Coastal much less the ACC. But it is fun to speculate and see what others are thinking. This is about as optimistic a prediction as one could expect. My prediction is on the other extreme at 6 or 7 wins. I have not seen anyone predicting a repeat of last year with 5 wins but it is within the realm of possibility especially if the special teams end up being among the worst in the country as they were last year or if we suffer injuries on offense especially in the line. As always at Tech, there is a very fine line between success and dismal failure. We lost at least 3 games last year that were winnable.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's BOLD all right. I will give you that. Defense "could exceed expectations" but it could also end up being worse. I appreciate your enthusiasm and candor but I do not see this team as winning the Coastal much less the ACC. But it is fun to speculate and see what others are thinking. This is about as optimistic a prediction as one could expect. My prediction is on the other extreme at 6 or 7 wins. I have not seen anyone predicting a repeat of last year with 5 wins but it is within the realm of possibility especially if the special teams end up being among the worst in the country as they were last year or if we suffer injuries on offense especially in the line. As always at Tech, there is a very fine line between success and dismal failure. We lost at least 3 games last year that were winnable.
I just don’t see us being a 5 win team again. We were better than what we showed last year and very easily could have been an 8 win team, but we weren’t and we have to live with it. I’m not saying all my thoughts will happen but they are definitely within the realm of possibility. I also don’t see the D getting any worse, JMO on that one. I think 8 wins is a very realistic exspectation, which is where I am at.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t see us being a 5 win team again. We were better than what we showed last year and very easily could have been an 8 win team, but we weren’t and we have to live with it. I’m not saying all my thoughts will happen but they are definitely within the realm of possibility. I also don’t see the D getting any worse, JMO on that one. I think 8 wins is a very realistic exspectation, which is where I am at.
The 2017 GT team should have at the very least been 8-4. Georgia Tech should have beaten Tennessee,Virginia and Duke:cry::bigtears:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Good thoughts. The only thing I’d add is the impact TM will have in year 2. Things will slow down tremendously in his mind and the result will be better decision making and utilization of the most effective asset at any given moment. I think we’ll see his role as distributor increase as his role as ball carrier decreases.

Improved synchronicity among all the moving parts will also pay huge dividends as well.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I am really hoping that our new defensive strategy will complement our offense by allowing competitive offenses less time on the field and therefore reducing the time for the defenses that lineup against us to rest. Playing against our offense can wear down a defense and our offense is pretty efficient therefore getting an extra drive or two per game can hopefully enhance that factor. I am also in agreement that TM will be more effective running the offense this year.

While those two things whet my expectations for this year, the fact is that we play an incredibly difficult schedule and the defense is still somewhat unknown makes me think that eight wins would be pretty good.