Expectations and thoughts?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Expectation: 8 wins, better D, better passing, and overall more consistent offense.

Thoughts: We could win the ACC and have a 2014 type year (hopefully better) I say this because a more aggressive D will hopefully put more pressure on offenses to score if we are getting negative plays and turnovers which will cause them to “press” we also have a lot coming back on offense with another year under their belt, so the offense will be much more efficient imo.

We could go without one 1,000 yard rusher but still have 3 guys around 800-900 yards a piece.

With a healthy OL it could be one of the best in a long time.

Defense could exceed most expectations.

BOLD PREDICTION ALERT: Camp could have 1,000 yards.

A Not So Bold prediction: If Camp gets 1,000 yards we go to the Sugar Bowl.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Good thoughts. The only thing I’d add is the impact TM will have in year 2. Things will slow down tremendously in his mind and the result will be better decision making and utilization of the most effective asset at any given moment. I think we’ll see his role as distributor increase as his role as ball carrier decreases.

Improved synchronicity among all the moving parts will also pay huge dividends as well.

Much agreed. We were written off in 2014 and no one pointed to any particular guys on our team that had any special talent, yet we mauled people through cohesion. That allowed us to really see the talent that was being neglected, e.g. JT, Smelter, Days, Shaq (although he had been recognized better going in).

I expect something of that coming together this year, although it's hard to count on it. I also think that we are going to have some games that are total dominance and not cupcakes as the new D is able to be assertive and the O able to sustain momentum and not forced to dig out long drives. We'll also have games where the D and O will be more hit and miss. In the end, I expect win total to be at least 7, but getting to double digits again will require a lot to materialize.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am really hoping that our new defensive strategy will complement our offense by allowing competitive offenses less time on the field and therefore reducing the time for the defenses that lineup against us to rest. Playing against our offense can wear down a defense and our offense is pretty efficient therefore getting an extra drive or two per game can hopefully enhance that factor. I am also in agreement that TM will be more effective running the offense this year.

While those two things whet my expectations for this year, the fact is that we play an incredibly difficult schedule and the defense is still somewhat unknown makes me think that eight wins would be pretty good.

If this team, facing the schedule that it has, wins more than 8 games Coach Johnson should be a slam dunk for Coach of the Year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If this team, facing the schedule that it has, wins more than 8 games Coach Johnson should be a slam dunk for Coach of the Year.
If GT wins 9-10 games and FSU wins 9 games the ACC will screw Paul Johnson and give the 2018 ACC Coach Of The Year Award to new FSU head coach Willie Taggart:rolleyes: GT always seems to get the shyte end of the stick:mad:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Much agreed. We were written off in 2014 and no one pointed to any particular guys on our team that had any special talent, yet we mauled people through cohesion. That allowed us to really see the talent that was being neglected, e.g. JT, Smelter, Days, Shaq (although he had been recognized better going in).

I expect something of that coming together this year, although it's hard to count on it. I also think that we are going to have some games that are total dominance and not cupcakes as the new D is able to be assertive and the O able to sustain momentum and not forced to dig out long drives. We'll also have games where the D and O will be more hit and miss. In the end, I expect win total to be at least 7, but getting to double digits again will require a lot to materialize.

2014 was a result of good talent with the Days and Laskey combo, the fine play of Shaq Mason at guard, and the presence of Waller and Smelter on the outside. You might be able to shut down one of them but sooner or later the other one will be wide open. Also, the experience and talent of a deep A back group. We got outstanding production out of our A backs that year. It seemed like at least one, usually two, would have a great game and the next week it would be someone else. Naturally, the play of JT5 was crucial. All things considered, this was Johnson's best team on offense though maybe not the best overall. Perhaps, 2009 was better?

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
2018 could end up similar to 2014 offensively. In 2014 we had 2 strong b backs and a line that could move people (especially Shaq). The a backs were very experienced and blocked very well and the qb was small but fast and exciting to watch. While I see similarities with the 2018 offense in those areas, we don't match up well from a receiver standpoint with 2014 although we have talent and I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
2018 could end up similar to 2014 offensively. In 2014 we had 2 strong b backs and a line that could move people (especially Shaq). The a backs were very experienced and blocked very well and the qb was small but fast and exciting to watch. While I see similarities with the 2018 offense in those areas, we don't match up well from a receiver standpoint with 2014 although we have talent and I hope I am pleasantly surprised.
CPJ has said that OL wasn’t as good as people thought, and said the skilled guys made them look a lot better (not his exact words). I actually think the OL can be better.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has said that OL wasn’t as good as people thought, and said the skilled guys made them look a lot better (not his exact words). I actually think this OL can be better.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Also, the secondary was underappreciated in 15. Two NFL guys at corner and the safeties were solid and experienced.
yep
CPJ has said that OL wasn’t as good as people thought, and said the skilled guys made them look a lot better (not his exact words). I actually think the OL can be better.
Perhaps, but is there a "Shaq" on the team now? Will or Parker? Don't know. I am pretty sure the tackles in 2014 were a little better than what we have now but we will see. Lots of time to get better. Improvement week to week from game to game is essential to having a memorable season. We can do it but it will not be easy because big plays are more than likely not going to be as plentiful as they were in 2014.

What expectations do you have for the team? Or do you have any expectations?

Do you expect that the D will be better?
Do you expect to rush for more yardage, than last year?
Who do you expect the starting QB to be?
Who will take over as the #1 WR?
Do you expect to be in a bowl game, this coming season?

Just curious what the overall thoughts are. Please list other questions and let's talk some football.

• I don't expect the D to be statistically better, primarily because CNW's personnel aren't in place yet. Should be more exciting though.
  • Yes
  • TaQuon will be the starter.
  • No idea.
  • I have us going 6-6 so yes. I don't think this will be a memorable year, ironically for the reasons your questions above ask about.

the lack of a big WR is the biggest reason IMO that we'll only win 6. Our O does best when we've got a Waller, Smelter or Thomas to come up with a big catch. I don't know if we've got anyone like that on the team. Without that downfield threat, we're very 1-D and much easier to stop.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm ready to see these new freshmans numbers so we can see them play can't wait to see them finally play! A walk-on QB that I think will surprise us is Ryan Lantz and I hope they put him on a scholly and that's just my opinion,I would love to see us at the Orange bowl game again but I don't see it but I think we beat gawga this year and we have 8-9 wins this year,the one thing we don't need this year is our OL hurt in any games we need to try and stay healthy so here's to a good year for us! Go Jackets!!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
the lack of a big WR is the biggest reason IMO that we'll only win 6. Our O does best when we've got a Waller, Smelter or Thomas to come up with a big catch. I don't know if we've got anyone like that on the team. Without that downfield threat, we're very 1-D and much easier to stop.
You are right about needing big plajt s from WR, however the problem in 17 also was in the qb not seeing, stopping, passing accurately. JT was great at this. The back shoulder throw to smelter had left the qb before he completed the move.

Plus he was accurate.

With see, stop, pop on target by qb it will good year as that lets the players make plays.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am LOVING their overconfidence !! So predictable , just made worse by the AJC homerism. They have created a " no excuse scenario" for NOT winning the NC : $43 million budget , a " SMART " head coach , top 5 in recruiting, and more importantly, the Fulmer Cup , reflecting the " high class " SAs they recruit. What could possibly go wrong ??
The AJC and delusional fans already have them "Sharpied " ( not penciled ) into the SEC title game , based primarily on what they did last year. IF they don't perform up to expectations , they really have left themselves no wiggle room. Could be very amusing to watch !
Georgia and Tennessee, headed by Saban acolytes, and SC, by a former Georgia guy, are sparking flaps among both ACC and SEC coaches for, how to say, questionable recruiting practices. Some reports of contacting players not just committed to but already signed for the fall by other schools -- apparently the Russians aren't the only ones familiar with various social media -- and some so far small but still illegal "giftings" showing up unsolicited: balls, caps, jerseys and the like. They do not take losing recruiting battles easily, but if other schools start losing signed players to them, look out, NCAA. (Again, these are not merely "committed" athletes -- they are fair game until they sign the scholarship offer. These are signed players.)