Expansion Talk 2021

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Clemson's defense will be down. I expect it to be much better than last year.
I agree. Their Defensive Line is stout. Bryan Bresee is one of the best players in the nation. And even though you lose Lawrence— ugiaalelea or whatever it is a beast. And they’re getting a WR back from injury and the white running back Will something is supposedly a complete back even as a freshman. Comparable to Christian Mcaffrey.

Game will be interesting. I’m pulling for an injury bug season at UGA. They seemed to have lucked out in that regard as of late. They’re due.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good analysis. I just looked at the SEC record against all other conferences. The SEC doesn't have an extensive history against some conferences, obviously ... and they rarely faced some outside of bowl games. As you said, draw your own conclusions.

View attachment 11049
Those numbers are "all-time" records, which includes GT's 13-3 record as an SEC member against the ACC, and South Carolina's 3-21 record as an ACC member against the SEC. They also include Maryland (14-19) and Tulane (3-1).

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
How about just hoping that any of them breaking the law actually get arrested and then prosecuted by the Clarke County DA? :)
1630357474973.gif

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
How about just hoping that any of them breaking the law actually get arrested and then prosecuted by the Clarke County DA? :)
How about the whole team comes down with covid right before the sec championship and Bama beats their cobbled together team of walk-ons and 4th-5th stringers back into the stone ages

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How about the whole team comes down with covid right before the sec championship and Bama beats their cobbled together team of walk-ons and 4th-5th stringers back into the stone ages

I like it so much better when a healthy Uga squad gets a lead in OT and then their first team D blows a coverage and gives up a 2 and 26 TD.

we all agree on the outcomes, just differ on the methods to reach them. ;)

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Big 12 is reportedly targeting Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and BYU (football only) for conference expansion. For better or worse, is doing something better than doing nothing?

Hah!

4. Adding non-Power 5 schools doesn’t make you more of a Power-5 conference​

The Big 12 is reaching down to try and lift itself up. If Bowlsby & co. really wanted to punch back at the SEC and the other Power-5 conferences, it would throw every dollar it could at Arkansas and Louisville, then go back and grab former members Nebraska and Colorado. None of the schools the Big 12 plans to add make this a noticeably stronger conference.
This from a Texas Tech supporter—a team that has averaged less than six wins per season over the last decade, and is 34-65 against P5 competition over that time span.

Someone needs to tell him that simply keeping TT in the conference over the past ten years has managed to "make the B12 less of a P5 conference" quite well enough, thank you very much.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Hah!

This from a Texas Tech supporter—a team that has averaged less than six wins per season over the last decade, and is 34-65 against P5 competition over that time span.

Someone needs to tell him that simply keeping TT in the conference over the past ten years has managed to "make the B12 less of a P5 conference" quite well enough, thank you very much.
It is a bold statement coming from TT, but it isn't wrong. Adding those four schools, even though they have had some decent football in the past few years, does not make up for losing Texas and Oklahoma. I won't think of the Big12 as a P5 school with those four additions, and I won't think of it as a P5 conference if it doesn't add anyone. I think it will end up as a P4 and G6. Or the Big12 might just dissolve and have the P4 and G5.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is a bold statement coming from TT, but it isn't wrong. Adding those four schools, even though they have had some decent football in the past few years, does not make up for losing Texas and Oklahoma. I won't think of the Big12 as a P5 school with those four additions, and I won't think of it as a P5 conference if it doesn't add anyone. I think it will end up as a P4 and G6. Or the Big12 might just dissolve and have the P4 and G5.
I agree with this.

Kansas is a basketball school and would fit nicely in the AAC. If it were not for the woe begone football program they would be a very nice addition to the Big East. All that said, they and Iowa State are o Big 12 members who are also AAU members. Geographically, both would fit nicely in the B1G,

Iowa State is a nice fit for the B1G. Natural rivalries all over the place.

Kansas State doesn't really fit anywhere except as a potential G5 member school.

Oklahoma State has money and fans, but I am not sure where they fit. They are better than KState, but not by a lot.

TCU and Baylor are the odd balls. Small schools with limited reach outside of Texas, but decent athletics. Baylor has been outstanding in basketball and football, and women's basketball has a great tradition. But, there is all those scandals that left a real scar on the school. Ty are likely bound for the AAC or another G5 conference. Where is SMU? Aren't they in the same conference as ECU?

Texas Tech would be OK if it were not for Lubbock and the school's academic reputation.

WVU is a sad sack case. They want very much to leave the Big 12 and join the ACC. I don't see that happening unless ND finally gives up their independent status. I would be OK with that trade, but only by a little.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I agree with you. I was just pointing out the irony of the pot calling the kettle black…

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess it really is about the money because the Sec is light years ahead of the acc and expect for a few other programs in the country. Their athletics and coaches is on on a completely different level than the acc and 95 percent of the rest of the country.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Big 12 staying afloat and STICKING it to the hope they'd fold and make exit cheaper for Tejas and OKieDokie.

Also of note, not even the AAC is talking about WVU at this point to replace their picked teams..