Expansion Talk 2021

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
They're neck and neck. One may be ahead by one reckoning, behind by another, but they're virtually tied. But yeah, it makes no sense that UVA and UNC would turn up their noses at the Big Ten, or whatever they are.

2016 Top 100 Conferences University Academic Rankings (universitybenchmarks.com)

Though I’m especially curious of the academic rankings within the student-athlete segment. Obviously because of the bs UNC pulled, but we can certain is prevalent. Frankly, as far as football conference affiliation goes, I couldn’t give 2-****s about the overall institution academic reputation because whatever exists there is generally tossed out the window for the athlete.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It's started...

Therefore….

Drama Popcorn GIF

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
None of these ACC schools can go anywhere unless some percentage all agree (whatever it takes to end the GOR). If and when that happens then UVA, UNC and GT all have value to the B1G. Perhaps ND joins those three if it comes down to conferences? NC State and VT would have value to the SEC. All of that is because of new markets and subscriber fees. Clemson, FSU, and Miami would have value because of their brands though Miami shouldn't be as confident as Clemson and FSU.

Beyond that, I don't care about Duke, Wake, Lousiville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and BC.

I don't think anyone wants to break up the ACC, including Notre Dame. But the TV money is going to have to increase or the ACC schools should all be looking to split and land in one of these two conferences.

So after thinking this through, I think Oklahoma and Texas are making a huge mistake. Money, Money for what, paying players...maybe so. Instead of playing their Big 12 teams, some of which they have been unable to beat, they get Alabama, A&M, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida etc. Texas is an 8 win team and maybe a 7 win team in this scenario. Oklahoma, a 9 win team. SEC football is not the Big 12. Texas kids running shotgun spread and no defense will get abused. They will not be able to recruit in Georgia, Florida etc.

You can talk money all you want. Vandy gets SEC money....how is that working out.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
So after thinking this through, I think Oklahoma and Texas are making a huge mistake. Money, Money for what, paying players...maybe so. Instead of playing their Big 12 teams, some of which they have been unable to beat, they get Alabama, A&M, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida etc. Texas is an 8 win team and maybe a 7 win team in this scenario. Oklahoma, a 9 win team. SEC football is not the Big 12. Texas kids running shotgun spread and no defense will get abused. They will not be able to recruit in Georgia, Florida etc.

You can talk money all you want. Vandy gets SEC money....how is that working out.

You're comparing Texas and Oklahoma to Vanderbilt? Ummm okay I guess

LibertyTurns

Banned
Penn STATE will not leave the. Big 10 why would you take less money.
The State Pen has ZERO chance of ever winning the B-whatever. Don’t know why but they will ALWAYS choke when it matters. Maybe they’re interested in having a chance if they’re part of an ACC North?

As far as the mutt goes, I’m not sure most of the SEC care about them. Not like they’re that relevant because everyone knows they’re habitually overrated & crap the bed when it counts. C’mon they had 1 chance at a national championship in 2017, their last real shot in 40 years?

Everybody knows the SEC is Bammer, Awbarn & LSU. Then there’s UF if they can ever get their shot together. Mutt, Tn and USCe are just annoyances that occasionally mount a threat but it’s rarely worth worrying about.

You're comparing Texas and Oklahoma to Vanderbilt? Ummm okay I guess
No, I am saying money is not everything. Make your schedule tougher and you lose more and never sniff the CFP. It is only 4 teams and going to be that way for a long time. If you are Oklahoma you have to manage your business against KState and Ok St. Beat Texas and your main test is TCU. Then you are in. Go to the SEC and it gets a lot harder.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

That's what they said about Texas A&M. Hmmm.

The State Pen has ZERO chance of ever winning the B-whatever. Don’t know why but they will ALWAYS choke when it matters. Maybe they’re interested in having a chance if they’re part of an ACC North?

As far as the mutt goes, I’m not sure most of the SEC care about them. Not like they’re that relevant because everyone knows they’re habitually overrated & crap the bed when it counts. C’mon they had 1 chance at a national championship in 2017, their last real shot in 40 years?

Everybody knows the SEC is Bammer, Awbarn & LSU. Then there’s UF if they can ever get their shot together. Mutt, Tn and USCe are just annoyances that occasionally mount a threat but it’s rarely worth worrying about.
Funny, I was sitting with a HS Coach today, that I am writing a book about. He know football. We were watching the rerun of UGA Alabama from last year. His comment, UGA has better players than Alabama and Saban would win every time with them. His quote. I told him though, he does anyway....lol

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A&M is in prove it year. Can they take the West?
Yea! That's a realistic "prove it year." Don't know where you get that. Alabama owns the West until someone beats them. A&M could go 11-1 and not win the West. That's ridiculous. Everyone said A&M wouldn't be able to compete in the Mighty SEC because it was so much tougher than the B12. Guess what? They did, and quite successfully.

Ok, so I looked at A&M schedule...what a damn joke. OOC, Kent State, Prarie View, Colorado, New Mexico. Cross over, Missouri, South Carolina. If they run the table I think they should not get a shot.

LibertyTurns

Banned
UCF collects almost $24 million in student fees. It seems immoral to me to collect student fees from students, most who are taking out loans and going into debt, in order to subsidize entertainment for middle aged men.
UCF has about 62,000 undergrads. I asked a friend of mine who has a kid there. They charge about $200/semester. I think GT is about $125 per semester. It’s not like UCF’s hammering the kids for $1k/semester.

Yea! That's a realistic "prove it year." Don't know where you get that. Alabama owns the West until someone beats them. A&M could go 11-1 and not win the West. That's ridiculous. Everyone said A&M wouldn't be able to compete in the Mighty SEC because it was so much tougher than the B12. Guess what? They did, and quite successfully.
Um, don't buy into the idea that the SEC is that much tougher. How do we know, they don't play much in OOC. Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, Missouri are they truly better than Baylor, TCU, Ok St, KS St.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
A sports commentator has been saying: That he had "inside information" 4 months ago, but didn't disclo
I interpreted what he wrote to say that both UNC's and UVA's presidents won't approve of joining the B1G because of academics. That makes no sense to me.

just posting what he said, correct or incorrect. I don’t put Dan Patrick in the unreliable category matter of fact I’d think in todays media he’s actually someone to listen to, I mean he himself said he didn’t believe his source until the Texas thing happened.

who really knows

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Point well taken, but on the other hand I think it's pretty clear that the SEC is a stronger football conference than the Big 12.