Expansion Talk 2021

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Dan Patrick is saying Big 10 and PAC 12 could merge. ND meets tomorrow to talk about joining ACC but wants assurances ACC won’t merge with SEC. ACC teams who will not join SEC are Ga Tech, Virginia, Wake, Duke and NC due to academics.

Big 10 interested in Virginia and North Carolina if they don’t merge with PAC 12 but neither schools presidents will go, again due to academics.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Texas' problems under Charlie Strong were related to....Charlie Strong. Are boosters also why he failed at USF? Tom Herman wasn't much better. Poor coaching hires has been the problem.
You must have better ties to the Texas program than the multitude of people who have spoken about this. Tell Sark we said hi.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Dan Patrick is saying Big 10 and PAC 12 could merge. ND meets tomorrow to talk about joining ACC but wants assurances ACC won’t merge with SEC. ACC teams who will not join SEC are Ga Tech, Virginia, Wake, Duke and NC due to academics.

Big 10 interested in Virginia and North Carolina if they don’t merge with PAC 12 but neither schools presidents will go, again due to academics.
I have the feeling that is all very loose wording that could be completely different tomorrow. Tech would absolutely join the SEC if they offered and the ACC was crumbling.

B1G being interested in UNC and UVA is kind of odd to me. Both have throughout their history been largely crap at football. Neither has ever won a national championship. UVA hasn't won the conference since 1995, UNC not since 1980. Yes they are good basketball schools with good academic reputations, but if this is all about money, I'd think football would be the driver. Both would be giving up lots of longtime rivalries to go to the B1G, and UNC would go from having way too much control in the ACC to having almost no voice in the B1G. Maybe the thought is that by doing so the B1G can become the premier bball conference instead of the ACC, but it wouldn't help them get a better tv contract for football.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have the feeling that is all very loose wording that could be completely different tomorrow. Tech would absolutely join the SEC if they offered and the ACC was crumbling.

B1G being interested in UNC and UVA is kind of odd to me. Both have throughout their history been largely crap at football. Neither has ever won a national championship. UVA hasn't won the conference since 1995, UNC not since 1980. Yes they are good basketball schools with good academic reputations, but if this is all about money, I'd think football would be the driver. Both would be giving up lots of longtime rivalries to go to the B1G, and UNC would go from having way too much control in the ACC to having almost no voice in the B1G. Maybe the thought is that by doing so the B1G can become the premier bball conference instead of the ACC, but it wouldn't help them get a better tv contract for football.
The B1G cares mostly about new television markets and AAU membership. UNC and UVA fit both of those as do we which is why they went after us years ago.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Sounds like a lot of blustering to me. There is nothing wrong with academics in the Big10. I haven't done a detailed depth of school academic rankings, but every Big10 school except Nebraska is an AAU member. Nebraska was when they entered the conference. The Big10 has been more concerned with academics when expanding than the ACC has.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've heard that for 45 years. At some point, you have to realize that is not going to happen.
It can be done. Just because it hasn't been done here doesn't mean it's impossible. See Miami, Oregon and FSU as former examples of doormats who became popular to the average Joe on the street. In hindisgt it doesn't seem daunting but beforehand, nobody would have ever seen those coming. WTBS, it takes more than the level of winning seen on the Flats over the last 20 years or so. Going to bowl games in Detroit or Des Moines or El Paso isn't moving the needle for the guy or gal on the fence. Yeah, you have to catch lightning in a bottle but it's not impossible. Just extremely difficult. Rossmay have been the guy to do it here if he hadn't bolted - one of the greatest "what ifs" in our lifetime along with the Tony Hollings debate.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It can be done. Just because it hasn't been done here doesn't mean it's impossible. See Miami, Oregon and FSU as former examples of doormats who became popular to the average Joe on the street. In hindisgt it doesn't seem daunting but beforehand, nobody would have ever seen those coming. WTBS, it takes more than the level of winning seen on the Flats over the last 20 years or so. Going to bowl games in Detroit or Des Moines or El Paso isn't moving the needle for the guy or gal on the fence. Yeah, you have to catch lightning in a bottle but it's not impossible. Just extremely difficult. Rossmay have been the guy to do it here if he hadn't bolted - one of the greatest "what ifs" in our lifetime along with the Tony Hollings debate.
We have a history of following up good to great seasons with stepping into our own shiit the following season, killing any momentum we gained with sidewalk fans

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like a lot of blustering to me. There is nothing wrong with academics in the Big10. I haven't done a detailed depth of school academic rankings, but every Big10 school except Nebraska is an AAU member. Nebraska was when they entered the conference. The Big10 has been more concerned with academics when expanding than the ACC has.

he said he’s getting this from an insider who told him the Texas and Oklahoma thing was going to happen 4 months ago. Said when it didn’t happen he called the guy and laughed at him, the guy responded that it would happen soon and it did.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand what is meant by us being desirable as an "Atlanta" market. As I understand it, we are a relatively small fanbase which doesn't have a huge affect on the TV market on its own. Are we talking about the B1G liking getting games in Atlanta?
Yeah, I’ve been saying the same thing here and other threads. But the basic response is, hurrr…tv market, ESPN subscribers. Concluded that no one really knows and it’s just a talking point.

With respect to B1G, I suspect we add a credible institution to the group, where those are relatively few, and can otherwise hold our own competitively and financially. And the fringe benefit is the added fanbase, albeit relatively small, a picture of GA on the media maps, and I suppose exposure to GA recruiting grounds.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
he said he’s getting this from an insider who told him the Texas and Oklahoma thing was going to happen 4 months ago. Said when it didn’t happen he called the guy and laughed at him, the guy responded that it would happen soon and it did.
A sports commentator has been saying: That he had "inside information" 4 months ago, but didn't disclose it. That he now has more "inside information", so people should pay attention to him. Doesn't seem very credible to me.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand what is meant by us being desirable as an "Atlanta" market. As I understand it, we are a relatively small fanbase which doesn't have a huge affect on the TV market on its own. Are we talking about the B1G liking getting games in Atlanta?
The distributed networks, SEC, ACC, Big10, and such get more money per subscriber in areas in which they have a footprint. It isn't public information, but I have seen estimates that SEC Network gets something like $1.40-1.60 per subscriber in SEC areas (GA, AL, FL, etc.) and only $0.40 per subscriber in areas they don't have a footprint in. (OH, IL, CA, etc). If the Big10 pics up VA, they could get extra money from every TV subscriber in VA. If they pick up UNC, they could get extra money from every TV subscriber in NC. If they pick up GT, they get extra money from every TV subscriber in GA, including the #7 TV market in the US. (Atlanta)

Beeski

Georgia Tech Fan
That makes ZERO sense. Go look at the rankings of the schools in the B1G. Top to bottom, they're a higher academically-ranked conference than the ACC.
There might be joint academic programs where UNC is teaming with UVA, Duke, etc. Kinda like the GT-Emory Biomed Engineering.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That makes ZERO sense. Go look at the rankings of the schools in the B1G. Top to bottom, they're a higher academically-ranked conference than the ACC.
Do you really think UNC would leave the ACC, possibly losing the Duke UNC basketball rivalry.....nope. See we all think it is all about football. Nope, basketball is a big driver and the ACC is the number 1 conference in basketball.