Expansion Talk 2021

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I have pointed this out many times in the past: GT(the school) cannot by regulation provide any more funding to the athletic program. Regulations in Georgia limit P5 programs so that the school and/or student fees can only provide 10% of the athletic budget. GT provides close to 10%. The last time I looked, the mutt school provided much, much less than 10% of their athletic budget.

GT fans cannot look to the school to pay for football. If GT fans want football and the athletic department to have more funding, then they have to buy more tickets, buy more merchandise, and donate more. The mutts received about $15 million more in conference media money. However, their revenue was $89 million more than GT. The school and student fees at the mutts was $3.5 million, while it was $8.2 million at GT. That means that in areas that the fans are responsible for, the mutts pulled in about $79 million more. They get $25 million more in ticket sales, $40 million more in contributions, and about $20 million more in merchandise. Tech gets about $6 million more in the "other" category which includes things such as endowment payments.

We complain a lot about the $15 million difference for SEC money, but that is a small portion of the revenue difference. The school cannot pick up the slack legally. GT fans need to provide $79 million more per year before we complain about SEC money.

So we are condemned to sports hell then. Tech cannot get that much more out of a fan base that’s what 1/2 the size ?

are other states hamstringing their schools like this ? Are Florida and UCF forced to be at odds because the one with a smaller alumni group can’t fund at the rate the bigger group can ?

there has to be a way Tech can change that equation

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I have pointed this out many times in the past: GT(the school) cannot by regulation provide any more funding to the athletic program. Regulations in Georgia limit P5 programs so that the school and/or student fees can only provide 10% of the athletic budget. GT provides close to 10%. The last time I looked, the mutt school provided much, much less than 10% of their athletic budget.

GT fans cannot look to the school to pay for football. If GT fans want football and the athletic department to have more funding, then they have to buy more tickets, buy more merchandise, and donate more. The mutts received about $15 million more in conference media money. However, their revenue was $89 million more than GT. The school and student fees at the mutts was $3.5 million, while it was $8.2 million at GT. That means that in areas that the fans are responsible for, the mutts pulled in about $79 million more. They get $25 million more in ticket sales, $40 million more in contributions, and about $20 million more in merchandise. Tech gets about $6 million more in the "other" category which includes things such as endowment payments.

We complain a lot about the $15 million difference for SEC money, but that is a small portion of the revenue difference. The school cannot pick up the slack legally. GT fans need to provide $79 million more per year before we complain about SEC money.
Dr Strangelove Reaction GIF

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I found this interesting, I was listening to XM College football and they had the commissioner for the PAC12 on. They were talking about expansion and other things but what was really interesting is they have formed a committee to.....find a way to make the PAC12 less balanced. They feel that they they need to make sure 1-2 teams are much better than the rest to get in the CFP. He also said CFP expansion is no where near reality yet because the SEC is the only conference actively lookin gat it.

That was the former commissioner, Larry Scott, correct? He has been doing everything he can in his last days to place all blame anywhere but at his feet...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
are other states hamstringing their schools like this ? Are Florida and UCF forced to be at odds because the one with a smaller alumni group can’t fund at the rate the bigger group can ?
Apparently, Florida doesn't have the same limits. UF only collects $4.9 million from student fees and school funds, but UCF gets $31 million out of a $69 million budget.

UCF collects almost $24 million in student fees. It seems immoral to me to collect student fees from students, most who are taking out loans and going into debt, in order to subsidize entertainment for middle aged men.

So we are condemned to sports hell then. Tech cannot get that much more out of a fan base that’s what 1/2 the size ?

there has to be a way Tech can change that equation
Tech can change that by getting more fans to buy tickets, get more fans to buy merchandise, and get more fans to donate. I am not indicating that you are this way, but I guarantee that there are some on this board who complain that the school should pay more, or that student fees should be raised in order to get better funding for sports .. all the while they don't have tickets, don't buy merchandise, and don't donate money. They only watch on TV and complain about all the "other" people who don't fund the athletic department.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Does Tech employ a marketing director or firm ? It’s off subject but an example or a needed change in marketing would be to answer the question how can I buy the stuff Collins wears ? He wears some stuff that would be a required buy for any Tech fan. The school seems pretty silent on merch considering all the talk about tradition and branding

Does Tech employ a marketing director or firm ? It’s off subject but an example or a needed change in marketing would be to answer the question how can I buy the stuff Collins wears ? He wears some stuff that would be a required buy for any Tech fan. The school seems pretty silent on merch considering all the talk about tradition and branding
Hey I just want a new jersey design so I can have it for the season.

Deleted member 2897

UCF collects almost $24 million in student fees. It seems immoral to me to collect student fees from students, most who are taking out loans and going into debt, in order to subsidize entertainment for middle aged men.

I agree. But at the same time, its all public information. They could choose to not go there if they cared, but like 60,000 people currently actively choose to.

GT_EE78

Banned
But somehow going to the SEC with a 5-10% increase in revenue is going to right the ship. Texas has internal problems they need to resolve. They won't be competitive in any conference until they do.
Texas was 5th in the 2020 talent compsite. If they had hired smarter(Sarkisian is 31-26 as HC and is their only problem that i'm aware of) they would have been ready for radical improvement.What internal problems u think they have?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Texas was 5th in the 2020 talent compsite. If they had hired smarter(Sarkisian is 31-26 as HC and is their only problem that i'm aware of) they would have been ready for radical improvement.What internal problems u think they have?
If you listen to really any insider talk about the issues with the Texas program they all come back to internal politics among big boosters and the culture around the program. Everything the head coach and the AD is doing is influenced by multiple people. Mack Brown was able to navigate that effectively until the end. Here is a quote from Finebaum about it:
“The problem isn’t Sark, the problem are Texas people. Nick Saban told me one time, after he turned down Texas, he didn’t want to report to 15 or 20 billionaires everyday. That’s the way that program rolls. Saban took over at Alabama and said ‘I’m in charge here.’ Lincoln Riley has very few people that he has to answer to in Norman.

“That’s the problem for Sark. Every other minute someone else is calling up and wants a piece of him and that program. Until they clear that up, and they haven’t yet, that program will be stuck in the mud.”

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

You hit the nail on the head. We don’t collectively buy tickets, merchandise, or donate enough. A lot of that is our fan base is smaller. What’s crazy to me is that our alumni has a lot of wealth but not many care to donate or buy tickets for athletics.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You hit the nail on the head. We don’t collectively buy tickets, merchandise, or donate enough. A lot of that is our fan base is smaller. What’s crazy to me is that our alumni has a lot of wealth but not many care to donate or buy tickets for athletics.
We need sidewalk fans, Collins can get them imo, if he can put a winner on the field

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If you listen to really any insider talk about the issues with the Texas program they all come back to internal politics among big boosters an d the culture around the program. Everything the head coach and the AD is doing is influenced by multiple people. Mack Brown was able to navigate that effectively until the end. Here is a quote from Finebaum about it:
Texas' problems under Charlie Strong were related to....Charlie Strong. Are boosters also why he failed at USF? Tom Herman wasn't much better. Poor coaching hires has been the problem.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
We need sidewalk fans
Hi nice to meet ya! lol

In all seriousness, CGC is bringing in sidewalk fans, problem is until we start winning or turning heads ala clempson 2008-2012, they wont stay. Had a cousin (BIG fsu fan) bring his stepson down from the GA Mtns for the citadel game because the kid wanted to go to GT game. Will they return because of the loss? who knows. But the kid had seen GT on social media and wanted to go to a game. As many have said, just win and the rest takes care of itself.