Excitement for the 2022 Season

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Seriously still don't understand how people keep saying 5-6 wins is enough to keep CGC after two 3 win seasons. If we do keep CGC after 5-6 wins, it's basically GT throwing in the towel.

JacketFan137

Banned
Seriously still don't understand how people keep saying 5-6 wins is enough to keep CGC after two 3 win seasons. If we do keep CGC after 5-6 wins, it's basically GT throwing in the towel.
seriously don’t understand why people can’t discuss things in a proper thread and instead continually try to bring negative energy in a thread that explicitly says this isn’t the place for that lol

hating collins this much isn’t making you a better tech fan

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am one of the people who posted 5-6 wins could keep CGC at Tech. But, I think I have always said five wins needs to sit beside 7 losses that look like we belonged in those games. We cannot keep him if we are getting blown out by 7-8 TDs. And, six wins gets us in a cheap bowl.

My own feeling is that the team needs look and play like a P5 team. Western Carolina cannot be a nail biter nor Ole Miss a showcase for their scout team.

JacketFan137

Banned
I am one of the people who posted 5-6 wins could keep CGC at Tech. But, I think I have always said five wins needs to sit beside 7 losses that look like we belonged in those games. We cannot keep him if we are getting blown out by 7-8 TDs. And, six wins gets us in a cheap bowl.

My own feeling is that the team needs look and play like a P5 team. Western Carolina cannot be a nail biter nor Ole Miss a showcase for their scout team.
yeah i think ultimately setting a number and acting like we absolutely have to fire him at 5/6 wins is kinda bad process. obviously 1, 2 or 3 wins is a clear as day indicator that the time is up but a 5/6 win season with 1 or 2 upsets and games are close, our defense is no longer only seeing the back of WRs jerseys, and our offense looks capable of scoring even on clemson and uga and suddenly that is an actual conversation that needs to be evaluated whether we should keep him for the sake of continuity.

i would imagine barring a transfer exodus this team will largely look the same next year. we are pretty young and i don’t see us having a lot of guys being early declares as of today. our recruiting class is shaping up pretty solid as well so there would be an inherent risk in cleaning house and starting the whole thing over come november/december.

but again, idk why this is a discussion in this thread lol

kalld12

Banned
Please mark this post because if he wins 5-6 he will be retained. Please support your argument further if you actually have one.

kalld12

Banned
seriously don’t understand why people can’t discuss things in a proper thread and instead continually try to bring negative energy in a thread that explicitly says this isn’t the place for that lol

hating collins this much isn’t making you a better tech fan
Were on the same wavelength my friend.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Please mark this post because if he wins 5-6 he will be retained. Please support your argument further if you actually have one.
Pretend we are talking about Virginia Tech for a second.

Now you just watch them get 3 wins in the first season under a new coach.

Second year, same result.

Third year, another 3 wins.

Fourth year they get 5 maybe 6 wins.

You speak with some of their fans regarding what they should do about their coach. In all honesty, what do you tell them. Can you tell them they should retain their coach after that? Hell I couldn't even recommend BC keeping their coach after records like that.

Further, if they did keep their coach, what level of commitment would you think they have in their program?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If you lose to three Top Team teams (assuming Ole Miss is Top Ten) and win 6 of the remaining 9, I don't consider that a terrible performance. The one caveat is not getting slaughtered to Top teams or losing to Western Carolina. Clemson and Georgia are at a different level than 7 or 8 years ago. UGA is far better. But there is no reason to not have a winning record in the ACC on a consistent basis.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
If you lose to three Top Team teams (assuming Ole Miss is Top Ten) and win 6 of the remaining 9, I don't consider that a terrible performance. The one caveat is not getting slaughtered to Top teams or losing to Western Carolina. Clemson and Georgia are at a different level than 7 or 8 years ago. UGA is far better. But there is no reason to not have a winning record in the ACC on a consistent basis.
Agree, it's not terrible.

When you factor in context and what was sold when CGC inherited the program, it's laughable. He claimed elite performance and winning titles. Now did I expect him to be in title contention in year 4? Not necessarily. But the way he was raa raaing and all the lavish claims he made, I certainly wasn't setting the bar at 6 wins in year 4 to retain him after the first three train wrecks.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretend we are talking about Virginia Tech for a second.

Now you just watch them get 3 wins in the first season under a new coach.

Second year, same result.

Third year, another 3 wins.

Fourth year they get 5 maybe 6 wins.

You speak with some of their fans regarding what they should do about their coach. In all honesty, what do you tell them. Can you tell them they should retain their coach after that? Hell I couldn't even recommend BC keeping their coach after records like that.

Further, if they did keep their coach, what level of commitment would you think they have in their program?
I’d think they have a low level of commitment to athletic excellence. I also think that we have a low level of commitment to athletic excellence. And that’s going to be true whether we keep Collins or fire him, even if he or his replacement have a high level of success. Sorry, I got distracted. What was this thread about again?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1.We get to play 2 teams predicted to be in top four by end of season. Not exactly Alcorn and then Tulane.

2.Clemson has super dl but also has a minor drop off in OL.

I am excited to see Collins and Thacker put up a competitive defense. Looking like 2021 ND and UGA is unacceptable. Looking like 21 against clemson and UNC would be a great start.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
1.We get to play 2 teams predicted to be in top four by end of season. Not exactly Alcorn and then Tulane.

2.Clemson has super dl but also has a minor drop off in OL.

I am excited to see Collins and Thacker put up a competitive defense. Looking like 2021 ND and UGA is unacceptable. Looking like 21 against clemson and UNC would be a great start.
The product has been there in flashes, brief flashes, but it's was nice when it was there last year. Especially the UNC game.

There's always hope.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
I am excited to see if these coaching changes have an impact on the way our team looks and plays. Do they come out against Clemson looking like they mean business. Do the plays get in to both sides of the ball in a timely fashion, do we execute with minimal mistakes, does our head coach not look call unnecessary timeouts. If their is a stupid mistake made, does that player leave the field and promptly get an a$$ chewing by one of the coaches. Whether we win or lose, do we actually look like a football team that belongs on a P5 field? That first game will slot make or break the season for me. If we don’t look competent then I will be excited to have my saturdays free to put my boat in the water and try to catch some reds. Either way, win/win.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am excited to see if these coaching changes have an impact on the way our team looks and plays. Do they come out against Clemson looking like they mean business. Do the plays get in to both sides of the ball in a timely fashion, do we execute with minimal mistakes, does our head coach not look call unnecessary timeouts. If their is a stupid mistake made, does that player leave the field and promptly get an a$$ chewing by one of the coaches. Whether we win or lose, do we actually look like a football team that belongs on a P5 field? That first game will slot make or break the season for me. If we don’t look competent then I will be excited to have my saturdays free to put my boat in the water and try to catch some reds. Either way, win/win.
Good luck on the Red fish because looking competent agaist Clemson is a stretch.

I think u mean dont look in like weak sause and disorganized.
About 10 weeks and we will be recovered from game 1

kalld12

Banned
But let’s be positive, the last time Tech had short turnarounds like this, 3 games in 13 days and 3 games in 12 days, we went 2-1 both times! 😊
Thank you for this, I believe we can win all 3 games, as I believe we can win any game we play. I refuse to think otherwise. There's a few people on this board hoping we start 1-2, 0-3 so that Collins gets canned mid season. You can tell in their approach to the season and were still 2 months away

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for this, I believe we can win all 3 games, as I believe we can win any game we play. I refuse to think otherwise. There's a few people on this board hoping we start 1-2, 0-3 so that Collins gets canned mid season. You can tell in their approach to the season and were still 2 months away
Still hard for me to grasp fans who pull for their team to lose.