Excitement for the 2022 Season

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Good lord. The schedule is hard because we suck, not because it’s actually hard. Sure, just like every year we play Clemson and UGA. But outside of those it’s not that hard. Sure, we’ll lose a bunch of them but that’s because of us not them. Seriously now, UGA and Clemson are in a different tier. Ole Miss is what we should be which is a ranked team with a 8-10 win ceiling. The Coastal is a joke and we are near the bottom of that joke. FSU is a mirror of us with Norvell. UCF will be tough to beat again not because they are special but because we can’t cover WR’s until we prove we can cover WR’s. You want to see hard schedules, look at Auburn, Ole Miss, and Vandy. We play in one of the weakest divisions in P5 so I laugh when folks say we have a hard schedule.
I partially agree and partially disagree with this. There are a couple of teams that have so much more talent than most other teams in CFB in Clemson and UGA. Nobody thinks those are hard games because we suck. They are hard games for anyone. Ole Miss is a pretty good team with a darn good coach. That’ll be tough for most teams.

And then there’s the part where I agree with you. The rest of our schedule is considered tough because we haven’t been a good team. And until we prove it on the field there’s not a lot of reason to think we will be a massively improved team.

So it’s partly what you said and partly that we do have some very good teams on our schedule.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Things I’m excited for:
- seeing if Long can be the salve this offense needs, or if the problems are structural.
-if the talent injection at the skill/secondary spots can make a difference. I like what young guys like Blackstrain, Moore, Haynes, Martin can bring to the table on O, and what Edwards and Marshall can bring to the secondary. Transfers in the defensive backfield and these guys will have to step up and replace 4 of 5 starters there.
-TE has not been a position of strength, but we have some bodies there. Again wanting to see Long elevate this group.
-DE with healthy White, Harris, and Yondo
-RB after Gibbs. You are never going to be “better” losing a talent like his and Mason’s, but with the additions of Mcduffie/Hall and a good looking freshman in Martin, I still think we can get good production there…even if less explosive, which may be better for the D if we can punch it in.
-Jeff Sims. He has shown so many flashes, that if he can do it more consistently, he will be a terror.
Sims can be good,if there is adequate not good blocking, a big if and a key to the season...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I partially agree and partially disagree with this. There are a couple of teams that have so much more talent than most other teams in CFB in Clemson and UGA. Nobody thinks those are hard games because we suck. They are hard games for anyone. Ole Miss is a pretty good team with a darn good coach. That’ll be tough for most teams.

And then there’s the part where I agree with you. The rest of our schedule is considered tough because we haven’t been a good team. And until we prove it on the field there’s not a lot of reason to think we will be a massively improved team.

So it’s partly what you said and partly that we do have some very good teams on our schedule.
I think you just repeated what he said.

Let’s put it this way. A good team playing this schedule could be expected to win 9 games not 5 or 6. Our schedule is loaded with beatable teams, we just aren’t there yet.

But maybe this year we start moving in the right direction.

JacketFan137

Banned
while i do think there’s more winnable games on the schedule than people act and games like fsu miami, pittsburgh uva and unc could go either way, we do have the 3rd hardest schedule according to espn fpi. the weird roundabout way to dump on our team by saying the schedule only looks tough cause our team sucks is just a really weird thing to say when it factually is one of the toughest in the country.

kalld12

Banned
Good lord. The schedule is hard because we suck, not because it’s actually hard. Sure, just like every year we play Clemson and UGA. But outside of those it’s not that hard. Sure, we’ll lose a bunch of them but that’s because of us not them. Seriously now, UGA and Clemson are in a different tier. Ole Miss is what we should be which is a ranked team with a 8-10 win ceiling. The Coastal is a joke and we are near the bottom of that joke. FSU is a mirror of us with Norvell. UCF will be tough to beat again not because they are special but because we can’t cover WR’s until we prove we can cover WR’s. You want to see hard schedules, look at Auburn, Ole Miss, and Vandy. We play in one of the weakest divisions in P5 so I laugh when folks say we have a hard schedule.
You must have a severe case of tunnel vision my guy. Tons of articles like the one below saying our Strength of Schedule is Top 10 for 2022 CFB season.

https://www.on3.com/news/espn-fpi-r...son-auburn-tigers-mississippi-state-bulldogs/

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
while i do think there’s more winnable games on the schedule than people act and games like fsu miami, pittsburgh uva and unc could go either way, we do have the 3rd hardest schedule according to espn fpi. the weird roundabout way to dump on our team by saying the schedule only looks tough cause our team sucks is just a really weird thing to say when it factually is one of the toughest in the country.
Is it dumping on the team to point out the obvious? This would not be a daunting schedule for Clemson or Notre Dame. But, yeah, it will be hard for us. Some of these same pundits rated Vanderbilt’s schedule even harder because they added Wake Forest. Sure, Wake Forest is a good team but would the pundits have shuttered at the scary audacity of this scheduling if Georgia had added Wake Forest?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you just repeated what he said.

Let’s put it this way. A good team playing this schedule could be expected to win 9 games not 5 or 6. Our schedule is loaded with beatable teams, we just aren’t there yet.

But maybe this year we start moving in the right direction.
I don't think this is realistic with a good team. We are likely playing 3 Top Ten teams. Even during PJ last few years, this would have been long shots. UCF in Orlando is doable but not easy. And 4 of the last 5 on the road would be hard for any but the elite teams. With a good team, this is a 6 to 8 win possibility. To say 9 means we would have to be the second best ACC team.

JacketFan137

Banned
Is it dumping on the team to point out the obvious? This would not be a daunting schedule for Clemson or Notre Dame. But, yeah, it will be hard for us. Some of these same pundits rated Vanderbilt’s schedule even harder because they added Wake Forest. Sure, Wake Forest is a good team but would the pundits have shuttered at the scary audacity of this scheduling if Georgia had added Wake Forest?
literally any team knows the country would consider our schedule tough lol this is ridiculous to say. our 4 OOC games are an fcs team which is normal then ole miss, @uga and @ ucf. that is up there with any OOC slate in the country. at least 5 teams in our schedule are gonna be ranked in the pre season (miami, pittsburgh, ole miss and uga and clemson) and i could see unc and ucf being ranked too honestly. there’s a non zero chance this is the toughest schedule tech has faced in the last two decades when we finish the season

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
literally any team knows the country would consider our schedule tough lol this is ridiculous to say. our 4 OOC games are an fcs team which is normal then ole miss, @uga and @ ucf. that is up there with any OOC slate in the country. at least 5 teams in our schedule are gonna be ranked in the pre season (miami, pittsburgh, ole miss and uga and clemson) and i could see unc and ucf being ranked too honestly. there’s a non zero chance this is the toughest schedule tech has faced in the last two decades when we finish the season

The unfortuante truth si all schedules are tough when you suck

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Ahh yes preseason rankings, known for being highly accurate predictions of what's to come.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am hard pressed to remember a time when pre-season polls were accurate but if you say so. I will modify my opinion while I wait to see how good these teams actually are.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I get that the ACC Coastal slate may look tough to us because we haven't shown to be a good team in a while but there is no doubt our OOC schedule is daunting. Just compare it to the other schools in the Coastal:

VT OOC: Old Dominion, Wofford, WVU, Liberty
Pitt OOC: WVU, Tennessee, W. Mich., Rhode Island
Duke OOC: Temple, NW, NC A&T, Kansas
UVA OOC: Richmond, Illinois, ODU, Coastal Carolina
UNC OOC: Florida A&M, App St., GA St, Notre Dame

GT OOC: WCU, Ole Miss, UCF, UGA

Yeah, I'd swap with any other team's OOC slate. A lot of these games get put on the schedule 6-7 years ahead of time so it's hard to know what teams will be really good at that time and how our own program will look but it does seem like it would be beneficial for the program to find an easier path to a bowl game. It would also help if our coaches could win some of these supposed layup games *cough Northern Illinois cough*

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
You want to know why I am excited?

I am excited because GT is my school and they are my team. I excited because there is an entire team of guys that are giving their all, representing the university well (go read the latest post in Elias Cloy’s thread), and THEY are excited about GT Football and the upcoming season. That’s enough for me.

Everything else is just noise. And there is a lot of noise around here. 😂 Let’s go, Jackets! Let’s surprise the world.

JacketFan137

Banned
I am hard pressed to remember a time when pre-season polls were accurate but if you say so. I will modify my opinion while I wait to see how good these teams actually are.
regardless it is an objectively incorrect thing to say that we don’t have a tough schedule.

this also completely illustrates my point i made in other threads about everything devolving into dumping on the team. we can’t even have a thread that specifically says not to go down the same old negative path, and here we are arguing something as ridiculous as our schedule not being hard, the reality is we just suck. several months ago we’d be lucky to go 3-9 cause our schedule is so hard and now all of the sudden the schedule is actually not tough it only appears that way cause we’re so bad. make it make sense 😂

JacketFan137

Banned
You want to know why I am excited?

I am excited because GT is my school and they are my team. I excited because there is an entire team of guys that are giving their all, representing the university well (go read the latest post in Elias Cloy’s thread), and THEY are excited about GT Football and the upcoming season. That’s enough for me.

Everything else is just noise. And there is a lot of noise around here. 😂 Let’s go, Jackets! Let’s surprise the world.
our recruiting staff is doing well and i think kenyatta watson is really gonna help us find some talent that may be underrated

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Agree except Clemson. I really expect them take a step back with Venables gone and with the self imposed probation Dabo decided to put the team on by not using the portal.

Every team on our schedule, outside of Miami, doesn’t look as good on paper as they did last season. The question is can we step our game up enough to get the wins

Last edited:

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
regardless it is an objectively incorrect thing to say that we don’t have a tough schedule.

this also completely illustrates my point i made in other threads about everything devolving into dumping on the team. we can’t even have a thread that specifically says not to go down the same old negative path, and here we are arguing something as ridiculous as our schedule not being hard, the reality is we just suck. several months ago we’d be lucky to go 3-9 cause our schedule is so hard and now all of the sudden the schedule is actually not tough it only appears that way cause we’re so bad. make it make sense 😂
This is a tough schedule for any team NOT playing at an ELITE level. (Sorry, but that was too easy and I could not resist.)

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Of the 11 FBS teams we play, 9 have higher FPI indexes per ESPN "experts." Only VPI and Duke are lower. That is why our schedule appears tough. We actually have a negative FPI.

The smart guys in the desert have us pegged for 3.5 wins. A $100 bet on us winning the NC returns $1 million from Caesar's. Seems some of you guys are set to make a lot of dough if you put your $$ where your mouth is.

My excitement will skyrocket if we can win two games in a row. That has been an elusive unicorn for the last 3 years. I hope for the players sake we can.

One last point - Fan137, what is your baseline for stating the recruiting staff is doing well? I assume you are referring to their work product and not their health.