Excitement for the 2022 Season

kalld12

Banned
I am hard pressed to remember a time when pre-season polls were accurate but if you say so. I will modify my opinion while I wait to see how good these teams actually are.
LOL - keep the same energy for every team then, if were going to say the preseason rankings hold no weight, then our schedule could actually get harder by the same metric. We have fans making baseless claims about things noone knows about. We could go from being a team everyone laughs at to a team people take serious by end of year based off wins, same goes for every team on our schedule. Every year you will have teams who overperform and underperform. To say we suck so our schedule isn't really that tough is just seeing things with one eye open while pushing a narrative that doesn't hold any truth. Im more willing to trust the people who get paid to rank strength of schedules, not bashers on a fan board.

kalld12

Banned
I get that the ACC Coastal slate may look tough to us because we haven't shown to be a good team in a while but there is no doubt our OOC schedule is daunting. Just compare it to the other schools in the Coastal:

VT OOC: Old Dominion, Wofford, WVU, Liberty
Pitt OOC: WVU, Tennessee, W. Mich., Rhode Island
Duke OOC: Temple, NW, NC A&T, Kansas
UVA OOC: Richmond, Illinois, ODU, Coastal Carolina
UNC OOC: Florida A&M, App St., GA St, Notre Dame

GT OOC: WCU, Ole Miss, UCF, UGA

Yeah, I'd swap with any other team's OOC slate. A lot of these games get put on the schedule 6-7 years ahead of time so it's hard to know what teams will be really good at that time and how our own program will look but it does seem like it would be beneficial for the program to find an easier path to a bowl game. It would also help if our coaches could win some of these supposed layup games *cough Northern Illinois cough*
Thank you for this, seems to have gotten quiet around here...hmmm

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I get that the ACC Coastal slate may look tough to us because we haven't shown to be a good team in a while but there is no doubt our OOC schedule is daunting. Just compare it to the other schools in the Coastal:

VT OOC: Old Dominion, Wofford, WVU, Liberty
Pitt OOC: WVU, Tennessee, W. Mich., Rhode Island
Duke OOC: Temple, NW, NC A&T, Kansas
UVA OOC: Richmond, Illinois, ODU, Coastal Carolina
UNC OOC: Florida A&M, App St., GA St, Notre Dame

GT OOC: WCU, Ole Miss, UCF, UGA

Yeah, I'd swap with any other team's OOC slate. A lot of these games get put on the schedule 6-7 years ahead of time so it's hard to know what teams will be really good at that time and how our own program will look but it does seem like it would be beneficial for the program to find an easier path to a bowl game. It would also help if our coaches could win some of these supposed layup games *cough Northern Illinois cough*
This has nothing to do with our schedule not being hard. This is why the Coastal sucks. All these teams play no one out of conference. We do. But that doesn’t mean we play a hard schedule over all. I have no problem scheduling tough games and losing. We will lose to UGA, Clemson, and Ole Miss. I have no problem with losing to them. I do have a problem losing to schools who schedule such sorry arse OOC games. We should be bslapping these coastal teams. Instead Collins has created such a weak minded program that we’ll struggle no matter who we play. Maybe the last 3 years are a mirage and we’ll f8nally show up to play ball instead of pose.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree except Clemson. I really expect them take a step back with Venables gone and with the self imposed probation Dabo decided to put the team on by not using the portal.

Every team on our schedule, outside of Miami, doesn’t look as good on paper as they did last season. The question is can we step our game up enough to get the wins
U are sure right about last years opponents - we played against 5 or 6 qbs that finished in top 25 in passing.
I
We were in most games even though the ol was walking wounded and the safety was always way to far from the los 6 seconds after the play.

I am excited to see a deep ol even though they are not experienced. So a stand and cheer excitement - more about being glad to see solid play.
The DL has been getting bigger over last 2 years so maybe we can see them hold position and have a lb have a hat on the runner such that the YAC is less than 2 yards. The 14 acc champ game and orange bowl spoiled me. We had a dl guy named green and a lb 54 that kept the middle secure. Anyway after spring game, I am excited about Demetrius Knight getting some playing time.
He looked good behind #5

I am excited to see walton finally get some press - they seldom thru his way because of easier battles.against other more hyped players. This year he should get some tv time. I hope he ends up being the db leader that does it on the field. Any improvement here is something to be excited about. Would be hilarious if this quiet group does very good.

Last year Gibbs was big time exciting to watch as he saved our bacon several games . When he would change directions in the hole , the stands would make a wow sound. Then it erupt into cheers as he went down field. I am excited to see Sims get his chance to give us wow moments .

And mostly I am excited to see cgc actually coach on the sidelines. .

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good lord. The schedule is hard because we suck, not because it’s actually hard. Sure, just like every year we play Clemson and UGA. But outside of those it’s not that hard. Sure, we’ll lose a bunch of them but that’s because of us not them. Seriously now, UGA and Clemson are in a different tier. Ole Miss is what we should be which is a ranked team with a 8-10 win ceiling. The Coastal is a joke and we are near the bottom of that joke. FSU is a mirror of us with Norvell. UCF will be tough to beat again not because they are special but because we can’t cover WR’s until we prove we can cover WR’s. You want to see hard schedules, look at Auburn, Ole Miss, and Vandy. We play in one of the weakest divisions in P5 so I laugh when folks say we have a hard schedule.
So does uga

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Is it dumping on the team to point out the obvious? This would not be a daunting schedule for Clemson or Notre Dame. But, yeah, it will be hard for us. Some of these same pundits rated Vanderbilt’s schedule even harder because they added Wake Forest. Sure, Wake Forest is a good team but would the pundits have shuttered at the scary audacity of this scheduling if Georgia had added Wake Forest?
I’m this thread it is.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I actually would argue we HAVEN’T seen him coaching from the sidelines to this point. I think he got overwhelmed rather quickly with the totality of it all and ended up underwater focused on the wrong things (sprinting down field to help the line judge spot the ball) as opposed to adjusting the D Scheme on the fly.

I’m hopeful that CCL will manage the O better and that CGC will be heavily involved in the “in-game adjustment aspect of the D” on game day. We’ll soon see.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
3 or 4 years??? I truly hope that this is a badly thought out tweet and is not the expectation that is being forecasted from the culture we are creating.

If Tech is not expecting to be in the top 25 this year or next year then changes need to be made immediately.

Capture.PNG

CEB

Helluva Engineer
3 or 4 years??? I truly hope that this is a badly thought out tweet and is not the expectation that is being forecasted from the culture we are creating.

If Tech is not expecting to be in the top 25 this year or next year then changes need to be made immediately.

View attachment 12591
“Tweet” and “poorly thought out” are pretty much synonymous. I don’t put much stock in it.
For what it’s worth, if I knew *KNEW* we would be a top 25 program in 3-4 years, I’d take it and be thrilled. That would be the most exciting news in a really long time.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I actually would argue we HAVEN’T seen him coaching from the sidelines to this point. I think he got overwhelmed rather quickly with the totality of it all and ended up underwater focused on the wrong things (sprinting down field to help the line judge spot the ball) as opposed to adjusting the D Scheme on the fly.

I’m hopeful that CCL will manage the O better and that CGC will be heavily involved in the “in-game adjustment aspect of the D” on game day. We’ll soon see.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I completely agree that cgc has been assuming the coaches were all on same page as his actions during game made him look like a great multi tasking genius.
Standing w a injured players who is lying on field show his caring. Then the player gets up and jogs off field = clown show.

In 1 month cgc hired an inexperienced staff . He had talent designed for the new system. YET he acted like that he had elite staff and talent. All he had to do was run practices and get a group think game plan.

If we some how get a great staff and talent , then his non relevant distracted actions won't matter.

At some point he has to realize we are a work in progress that needs his 100% in game attention.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
“Tweet” and “poorly thought out” are pretty much synonymous. I don’t put much stock in it.
For what it’s worth, if I knew *KNEW* we would be a top 25 program in 3-4 years, I’d take it and be thrilled. That would be the most exciting news in a really long time.
I completely understand and respect your view on it.

My personal view on this fourth season for CGC is that he has this year to win at least 6 games minimum. Then if that is attained expand upon that going into year 5 with a top 20-25 team, winning a minimum of 8 games.

If either of those are not attained I think it is probably advisable to move on. Again, only my opinion.

I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I completely understand and respect your view on it.

My personal view on this fourth season for CGC is that he has this year to win at least 6 games minimum. Then if that is attained expand upon that going into year 5 with a top 20-25 team, winning a minimum of 8 games.

If either of those are not attained I think it is probably advisable to move on. Again, only my opinion.

I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation.
Well, I was offering no commentary on who is at the helm for that top 25 team... just saying I’d be thrilled with that result in 3-4 years.

As far as your take on the next two years, I don’t really disagree. Collins needs 6 wins this year if he wants to stay around... possibly 5 with the right set of circumstances. Anything less than 5 and he needs alternate transportation back from Athens. Getting 8 wins next year probably has us sniffing top 25, so that’s a lofty goal in my mind right now. Regardless, he had better show a solid upward trend.