Excitement for the 2022 Season

JacketFan137

Banned
Yep which was the problem that's basically what I am saying that makes him like sims. They have all the tools to be successful except the critical one.
jeff sims as a true freshman got thrust into playing on a pretty poor team with a bad offensive staff. taquon got to sit for two years and develop into the offense that had been there for a decade

comparing sims to taquon is a pretty bad take considering that and the fact that he’s putting up better numbers year 1 to year 2 and he really wasn’t healthy last season. i know some people are low on him but he is really not comparable in any way to marshall.

this is also not what this thread is about lol

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
jeff sims as a true freshman got thrust into playing on a pretty poor team with a bad offensive staff. taquon got to sit for two years and develop into the offense that had been there for a decade

comparing sims to taquon is a pretty bad take considering that and the fact that he’s putting up better numbers year 1 to year 2 and he really wasn’t healthy last season. i know some people are low on him but he is really not comparable in any way to marshall.

this is also not what this thread is about lol

Actually TQ really didn't he played a little his frehsman year at A back and got injured, then was buried on the depth chart splitting time at A back, then transitioned to QB.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Things I’m excited for:
- seeing if Long can be the salve this offense needs, or if the problems are structural.
-if the talent injection at the skill/secondary spots can make a difference. I like what young guys like Blackstrain, Moore, Haynes, Martin can bring to the table on O, and what Edwards and Marshall can bring to the secondary. Transfers in the defensive backfield and these guys will have to step up and replace 4 of 5 starters there.
-TE has not been a position of strength, but we have some bodies there. Again wanting to see Long elevate this group.
-DE with healthy White, Harris, and Yondo
-RB after Gibbs. You are never going to be “better” losing a talent like his and Mason’s, but with the additions of Mcduffie/Hall and a good looking freshman in Martin, I still think we can get good production there…even if less explosive, which may be better for the D if we can punch it in.
-Jeff Sims. He has shown so many flashes, that if he can do it more consistently, he will be a terror.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t even read down the the TQM vs Sims.

TQM is probably one of my favorite CPJ players because he definitely wasn’t a college QB, but he became one for us when we needed one. His *highlight* reel has like 5 wounded duck completions where guys were open by 5 yards and came back to it or Brad Stewart making a diving catch. Also ran more double option because he wasn’t a particularly good triple guy either.
But man was he fun to watch when he got a seam with the ball in his hands. Dynamic runner.

Sims is already a better QB than Marshall, but we need him to be a lot more than that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Sims was heavily recruited by FSU.
Then they went another way and cgc got Sims to Gt.
Sims first game was against FSU in Tallahassee.
In a come from behind win he put up 64 yards rushing and 276 yards .

Tech lawyer to orlando
1969 to FSU

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
i don’t see many people saying he should be kept. i see a lot of people saying that they believe he will be kept. i for one am in that boat. i think he should be fired for less than 6 wins but i can understand why they might keep him
I think due to the 7 year contract and improved performance he may be kept just because he is still bringing in quality recruits & to save money. The team is still pretty young so I can see them giving him one more year but unlikely add another year to the contract which would make CGC a lame duck. He may not be able to recruit the high school guys but maybe he’ll make waves in the transfer portal.

I’m pretty patient and think that all coaches should be given four years to show what their guys can do. The fact he got a 7 year deal makes me believe he still has a chance at a 5th.

kalld12

Banned
I agree with you except we’ve already been told everything. We don’t need another season to know. That’s my point. Our expectations have been so lowered by this coach over 36 months that we have GT diehard fans saying that even if we finish a 4th season under .500 that the coach should be given more time. To me, that’s bizzaro world seeing how we let Gailey go for winning at twice the clip the current coach has. Oh, how far we have fallen.
Understand your view and you're not wrong. My belief is if he shows the improvement in the win column (5 wins minimum) + continues to bring in top talent via HS recruiting/Portal this year then maybe we save the buyout $'s and keep him another year. If the next year (2023) we don't reach 6 -7 wins then he's canned. Different view, but it saves us money and keep him on the HOT seat to win or be gone. Almost like a yr to yr contract. Just a thought

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Understand your view and you're not wrong. My belief is if he shows the improvement in the win column (5 wins minimum) + continues to bring in top talent via HS recruiting/Portal this year then maybe we save the buyout $'s and keep him another year.
My hope is that Collins makes it, but the problem is that results on the field for three years have thrown cold water on recruiting and 5 wins this year won't make much difference in that.
We have to at least go bowling this season, bare minimum, or recruiting will continue to be bogged down by our poor W/L record. We're now #53 in 2023 recruiting, per 247:

Excited to see if better assistants this year can get us over the hump.

kalld12

Banned
My hope is that Collins makes it, but the problem is that results on the field for three years have thrown cold water on recruiting and 5 wins this year won't make much difference in that.
We have to at least go bowling this season, bare minimum, or recruiting will continue to be bogged down by our poor W/L record. We're now #53 in 2023 recruiting, per 247:

Excited to see if better assistants this year can get us over the hump.
Understand, thanks for your view sir. Lets go get 6 wins then...easier said then done. Is the season here yet?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Understand your view and you're not wrong. My belief is if he shows the improvement in the win column (5 wins minimum) + continues to bring in top talent via HS recruiting/Portal this year then maybe we save the buyout $'s and keep him another year. If the next year (2023) we don't reach 6 -7 wins then he's canned. Different view, but it saves us money and keep him on the HOT seat to win or be gone. Almost like a yr to yr contract. Just a thought
In this day and age, there are fewer and fewer “hidden gems” in any sport, football included. Maybe CGC has had extraordinary success with his limited recruiting budget, but usually “top talent” is evidenced by ratings from recruiting services and offers from power teams. CGC may be bringing in some good players, but characterizing his recruiting commitments so far in his 4th year as “top” talent may be stretching things a wee bit.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Things I'm excited for in 2022:

1. Chip Long. Will his system that was so successful at ND translate to GT and our offensive talent? I love the success his QBs and TEs have had and his history of putting guys in the NFL. There will be no greater recruiting for GT than putting guys in the NFL.

2. Defense. We kept Thacker at DC, but apparently CGC is going the CPJ route in that he's going to focus on his expertise and let Long do his thing on offense. Keep hearing from players that there's a new scheme being implemented and everyone is excited about it. Will we finally get the Minister of Mayhem? We've seen glimpses of it (UNC game in the dome), but it's been few and far between.

3. Player development. Will some of our guys take the next step? GT is a place where player development is probably the most important aspect of the program. We're never getting an endless line of 4/5 stars, so we need to develop the talent we have. We have a LOT of guys that came in highly rated as recruits or transfers. Are they going to finally show it? Will Jeff Sims physical tools finally showcase itself on the field? Will our secondary littered with 4 stars finally play like 4 stars? Will our physically gifted WR corp play better than their recruiting rankings? Will our DEs get pressure on the QB?

4. Making a bowl game. We all know a bowl game is bare minimum for CGC to keep his job. Remember when GT fan could pretty much bank on going bowling at the end of the season? Seem like a long time ago...hopefully all the staff changes will at least get us back bowling.

5. Scheduling. This is not going to be an easy schedule, but if CGC can navigate us to the bowl game with this schedule, there will be a super nova sized light at the end of the tunnel for us. I'm hoping we get to the end of that tunnel in Year 4 of CGC and we can all enjoy the warmth instead of feeling left in the dark and cold.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After looking through the roster and staff, I think the coaching will be much improved. QBs finally get undivided attention from a position coach. Chip Long and Del Alexander have worked together before and have impressive resumes. Daniels seems to have a pretty solid track record with RBs. Thacker can give the DC role his undivided attention while getting help from Collins. DL unified under a single position coach (Knight) who can get help from an accomplished veteran DL coach (Turner) as needed. LBs get a dedicated position coach who’s worked with this staff at Tech before. DBs get unified under a single position coach (Tillman) who has coached at a P5 program before.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Things I’m excited for:
- seeing if Long can be the salve this offense needs, or if the problems are structural.
-if the talent injection at the skill/secondary spots can make a difference. I like what young guys like Blackstrain, Moore, Haynes, Martin can bring to the table on O, and what Edwards and Marshall can bring to the secondary. Transfers in the defensive backfield and these guys will have to step up and replace 4 of 5 starters there.
-TE has not been a position of strength, but we have some bodies there. Again wanting to see Long elevate this group.
-DE with healthy White, Harris, and Yondo
-RB after Gibbs. You are never going to be “better” losing a talent like his and Mason’s, but with the additions of Mcduffie/Hall and a good looking freshman in Martin, I still think we can get good production there…even if less explosive, which may be better for the D if we can punch it in.
-Jeff Sims. He has shown so many flashes, that if he can do it more consistently, he will be a terror.
I think this will happen. I think CDP had mandates to force us into a Pro-style offense, when we could have made a more gradual transition. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an actual quota on read option, triple option, etc. plays in order to break away from our previous identity. I think now, CGC will not have those requirements and will have to let Long just do his thing, which should be a plus.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Sims obviously has physical talent, my concern is his head work, not sure what it is but something missing there. Maybe Long designs something that lets him operate better within his abilities which I'm guessing would include using the TEs. I must be starting to get the summer optimism already, think we may be a little better than we're being projected, just that damn schedule, is it the toughest we've ever had?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Good lord. The schedule is hard because we suck, not because it’s actually hard. Sure, just like every year we play Clemson and UGA. But outside of those it’s not that hard. Sure, we’ll lose a bunch of them but that’s because of us not them. Seriously now, UGA and Clemson are in a different tier. Ole Miss is what we should be which is a ranked team with a 8-10 win ceiling. The Coastal is a joke and we are near the bottom of that joke. FSU is a mirror of us with Norvell. UCF will be tough to beat again not because they are special but because we can’t cover WR’s until we prove we can cover WR’s. You want to see hard schedules, look at Auburn, Ole Miss, and Vandy. We play in one of the weakest divisions in P5 so I laugh when folks say we have a hard schedule.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Good lord. The schedule is hard because we suck, not because it’s actually hard. Sure, just like every year we play Clemson and UGA. But outside of those it’s not that hard. Sure, we’ll lose a bunch of them but that’s because of us not them. Seriously now, UGA and Clemson are in a different tier. Ole Miss is what we should be which is a ranked team with a 8-10 win ceiling. The Coastal is a joke and we are near the bottom of that joke. FSU is a mirror of us with Norvell. UCF will be tough to beat again not because they are special but because we can’t cover WR’s until we prove we can cover WR’s. You want to see hard schedules, look at Auburn, Ole Miss, and Vandy. We play in one of the weakest divisions in P5 so I laugh when folks say we have a hard schedule.
Agree. It’s not a hard schedule. It’s just hard for us.