Excitement for the 2022 Season

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Georgia Tech Atlanta GIF by J1S Sports

I’m always happy to share positivity. Love this thread; :beercheers: @yeti92

In my review of data this offseason I see a few reasons for improvement. I’ve made my position clear on the projected wins and losses, so this won’t be new to any of you, my dear readers, who have followed along with my love affair for the prettiest belle of the south, that beautiful matriarch we know, love and were happy as hell to leave, MaTech™

Reason #5 | Offensive Line Improvement:
I believe our OL is going to be better than the last few years. We have had paper thin depth and unfortunate injuries, so odds are we are due some luck in that category this year

Reason #4 | Coaching for their Lives:
I don’t know much in life that is certain, but I’ll tell you this much. If CGC doesn’t fix our D woes and win some games WHILE looking like we belong on the field with everyone but U(sic)GA/Clemson on the schedule this year his coaching days beyond mid major position roles are gone. Dude is out of options and he needs this year to be a big step forward so you’ll not see a more motivated to win coach than him.

Reason #3 | Improved OC & Scheme Fit:
There wasn’t much I liked about what CDP did on offense. We moved too far away from any run option plays. Didn’t develop JS10, had poor play from the Wide Outs and ignored the TEs entirely. Despite making noise about finally bringing some to campus.

I think we are going to see more consistency in play calling (not the random generator of pain machine CDP used to pick a 8 yd pass route when we needed 15). I think we will see more creativity in our player sets and formations as well to take advantage of two back sets. Lastly we are going to see the ball get out faster - too often last year we had plays get blown up or passes get ripped because of slow developing plays. That will be a thing of the past.

Reason #2 | Defensive Scheme / Coaches:
Coach had every excuse to switch DCs and chose not to. He knows he has to WIN 21 22 or else he is going the way of no break pants with sockless ankles in the fall (that’s out of season for you readers who need a little help). The minister of mayhem knew scheme previously and I believe still does today.

He got an OC who can own that side of the ballgame and can be focused now on Coaching up the D. Uniting the back end of our scheme under one coach will cut down on communication challenges as well so I suspect our pass defense won’t be busted as frequently moving forward.

Reason #1 | Most Importantly..

JacketFan137

Banned
Georgia Tech Atlanta GIF by J1S Sports

I’m always happy to share positivity. Love this thread; :beercheers: @yeti92

In my review of data this offseason I see a few reasons for improvement. I’ve made my position clear on the projected wins and losses, so this won’t be new to any of you, my dear readers, who have followed along with my love affair for the prettiest belle of the south, that beautiful matriarch we know, love and were happy as hell to leave, MaTech™

Reason #5 | Offensive Line Improvement:
I believe our OL is going to be better than the last few years. We have had paper thin depth and unfortunate injuries, so odds are we are due some luck in that category this year

I don’t know much in life that is certain, but I’ll tell you this much. If CGC doesn’t fix our D woes and win some games WHILE looking like we belong on the field with everyone but U(sic)GA/Clemson on the schedule this year his coaching days beyond mid major position roles are gone. Dude is out of options and he needs this year to be a big step forward so you’ll not see a more motivated to win coach than him.

There wasn’t much I liked about what CDP did on offense. We moved too far away from any run option plays. Didn’t develop JS10, had poor play from the Wide Outs and ignored the TEs entirely. Despite making noise about finally bringing some to campus.

I think we are going to see more consistency in play calling (not the random generator of pain machine CDP used to pick a 8 yd pass route when we needed 15). I think we will see more creativity in our player sets and formations as well to take advantage of two back sets. Lastly we are going to see the ball get out faster - too often last year we had plays get blown up or passes get ripped because of slow developing plays. That will be a thing of the past.

Reason #2 | Defensive Scheme / Coaches:
Coach had every excuse to switch DCs and chose not to. He knows he has to WIN 21 22 or else he is going the way of no break pants with sockless ankles in the fall (that’s out of season for you readers who need a little help). The minister of mayhem knew scheme previously and I believe still does today.

He got an OC who can own that side of the ballgame and can be focused now on Coaching up the D. Uniting the back end of our scheme under one coach will cut down on communication challenges as well so I suspect our pass defense won’t be busted as frequently moving forward.

Reason #1 | Most Importantly..

i agree about patenaude calling slow developing plays. seemed like he was the only one unaware our o line was bad. rather than compensate he just forced the issue. chip is significantly better so i doubt he’d be that dumb

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
i agree about patenaude calling slow developing plays. seemed like he was the only one unaware our o line was bad. rather than compensate he just forced the issue. chip is significantly better so i doubt he’d be that dumb
I don't want to get too deep into this but CDP called the winning play against Clemson that would have won the game had the OL not blown his assignment. And his calls on our last possession against Duke allowed us to win the game.

I'm not sorry that he's gone - Long and co is a significant upgrade but I'm not hanging our problems on CDP. That is very unfair.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't want to get too deep into this but CDP called the winning play against Clemson that would have won the game had the OL not blown his assignment. And his calls on our last possession against Duke allowed us to win the game.

I'm not sorry that he's gone - Long and co is a significant upgrade but I'm not hanging our problems on CDP. That is very unfair.
I think I am one of the few people that agree with this. CDP was alsp the only one that was straightforward in press conferences

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully any locker room divisiveness is gone, players still here are here for and more suited for what we were always wanting to do. We're maybe just now really able to build what was always intended. We'll see, I'm hoping, over the next two years. Just hate it that our schedule is so unbelievably tough. If this bunch goes 500 they'll be the best 500 team in the country IMO.

JacketFan137

Banned

yeah there were moments i think he wasn’t terrible and i’m sure it was a major constraint with our o line and it was reported by kelly quinlan that when sims wasn’t in the game the playbook was significantly shortened based on the limitations of the other qb.

i still just had a lot of issues with him and his playcalling at times. going under center to gain short yardage, and his poor red zone conversion rates were just really frustrating. last year we were 97th in red zone scoring percentage (granted our kicking game didn’t do us many favors either), and notre dame was 14th overall in 2017 and 2019. 2018 sandwiched in there was a little lower at 57. tulane was worse but looking at their team as a whole i think it would be unfair to hold that over his head. obviously those ND teams were more talented than this tech team, but still that’s very impressive and i would expect a significant improvement there. red zone efficiency alone probably gets us 2 more wins last year

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There is a loud mouth in our section behind the bench .
He was a cpj hater and quickly became a cgc hater.
Loved loudly to second guess the time out calls .
Favorite one was the time he faulted collins for calling time out after a first down inside the 20. Players were lined up and cgc called time out. Guy was upset we were driving and now defense would get set.
We scored on nice pass at left pillon.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

yeah there were moments i think he wasn’t terrible and i’m sure it was a major constraint with our o line and it was reported by kelly quinlan that when sims wasn’t in the game the playbook was significantly shortened based on the limitations of the other qb.

i still just had a lot of issues with him and his playcalling at times. going under center to gain short yardage, and his poor red zone conversion rates were just really frustrating. last year we were 97th in red zone scoring percentage (granted our kicking game didn’t do us many favors either), and notre dame was 14th overall in 2017 and 2019. 2018 sandwiched in there was a little lower at 57. tulane was worse but looking at their team as a whole i think it would be unfair to hold that over his head. obviously those ND teams were more talented than this tech team, but still that’s very impressive and i would expect a significant improvement there. red zone efficiency alone probably gets us 2 more wins last year
There is a loud mouth in our section behind the bench .
He was a cpj hater and quickly became a cgc hater.
Loved loudly to second guess the time out calls .
Favorite one was the time he faulted collins for calling time out after a first down inside the 20. Players were lined up and cgc called time out. Guy was upset we were driving and now defense would get set.
We scored on nice pass at left pillon.
Guys this thread is for discussing what you are excited about and looking forward to in this upcoming season, not for talking about how much you think the last coach sucked or dealing with obnoxious fans or other negative subjects. You can say positive things about why you think CCL will be an improvement without dragging CDP or anyone else. Please stay on topic and keep your complaints to the appropriate thread.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
This upcoming season is a blank slate in my opinion. The past 3 years of coaching had a lot to be desired, but most of that is gone. Anyone with half a brain could see the coaching deficiencies last year and have to believe that the more experienced hard nosed coaches that were brought in will improve the focus and consistency of the team. I believe that is what we now have and will see a more disciplined team next year.

Offensively, I think we will see a case of addition by subtraction due to the loss our best offensive weapon. I think that so much attention was focused on 1(offensive play calling as well as defensive scheming) because he was far and away the best talent on our side of the ball that it detracted from our game flow. I think the offense will look better with dontae as primary RB and with new OC and solid transfer rbs, we will see a more balanced attack that will get the ball to more playmakers and keep the ball moving.

Defensively, the total lack of takeaways last year was a complete anomaly. I think a large part of it was the ridiculous focus by coaches on leading country in takeaways. Just play sound frigging defensive football and the turnovers will happen. If we have improved our talent level to the point where we can keep most games close(which I believe we have) then one extra TO per game should turn into a few extra wins.

Everyone wants to focus on how tough our schedule is this year that even if we play considerably better than last year, we still will only win 3 games. I remember this same narrative last year. However, our schedule last year turned out to be not so daunting and I would bet the same holds true this year.

With all that being said, most everything in this program is different. We have better coaches and I have to believe that coaching up this group of players is now priority one. We lost 3 key playmakers to the portal but picked up considerably more potential and experience from it. We have some good young talent that can step up(Blackburn, blackstrain) and make some noise.

3.5 wins isn’t a great over/under to be placed on us but this year is a total crapshoot and my money is on the over.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Called 2 perfect TD plays. Execution was just bad on both

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This upcoming season is a blank slate in my opinion. The past 3 years of coaching had a lot to be desired, but most of that is gone. Anyone with half a brain could see the coaching deficiencies last year and have to believe that the more experienced hard nosed coaches that were brought in will improve the focus and consistency of the team. I believe that is what we now have and will see a more disciplined team next year.

Offensively, I think we will see a case of addition by subtraction due to the loss our best offensive weapon. I think that so much attention was focused on 1(offensive play calling as well as defensive scheming) because he was far and away the best talent on our side of the ball that it detracted from our game flow. I think the offense will look better with dontae as primary RB and with new OC and solid transfer rbs, we will see a more balanced attack that will get the ball to more playmakers and keep the ball moving.

Defensively, the total lack of takeaways last year was a complete anomaly. I think a large part of it was the ridiculous focus by coaches on leading country in takeaways. Just play sound frigging defensive football and the turnovers will happen. If we have improved our talent level to the point where we can keep most games close(which I believe we have) then one extra TO per game should turn into a few extra wins.

Everyone wants to focus on how tough our schedule is this year that even if we play considerably better than last year, we still will only win 3 games. I remember this same narrative last year. However, our schedule last year turned out to be not so daunting and I would bet the same holds true this year.

With all that being said, most everything in this program is different. We have better coaches and I have to believe that coaching up this group of players is now priority one. We lost 3 key playmakers to the portal but picked up considerably more potential and experience from it. We have some good young talent that can step up(Blackburn, blackstrain) and make some noise.

3.5 wins isn’t a great over/under to be placed on us but this year is a total crapshoot and my money is on the over.
Good post, hope you're right. Some better coaches for sure - hard-nosed is what we need. That's the one big improvement over last year, in my opinion.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There has been an increasing tendency here to let conversation lean towards what other posters say or think rather than information or opinions about the athletic programs. These posts are tedious at best imo. It's okay to share an opinion about what you think....that is the reason that this site exists. We care what you think for the most part about the GT program(s). But we don't care what you think about others who post here. Therefore, posts that opine solely about other posters and their stances/points of view may be moved to the trash bin here. Have your private conversations in private (via PM's). thanks in advance.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
@4shotB ;
Some of it, is what might be referred to as trolling. The Font doesn’t usually add much information or fact to the post. Over and over, I can think of one in particular who gets bored and comes behind me in trying to stir up conversation with his false data and narratives. Solution: Put ‘em on ignore and don’t comment. Unless someone else quotes that person in a reply, you will not see their drivel.