Everybody wants to hold the baby. Nobody wants to go through labor.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You know what? I'll own this. And I'll reveal a little.
I didn't go to UVa. I'm just from Va. I went to Ole Miss for undergrad.
I learned to drink bourbon there, and I still drink Bourbon and diet if I'm getting a simple cocktail, but I like fruity umbrella drinks, and I don't mind admitting it.

The more juice in a cocktail, the more I enjoy it.

Do you know why? Because alcohol tastes bad.

There are a million different flavored vodkas. There's not "vodka flavored" ANYTHING.

I don't drink my whiskey clear. I don't drink my scotch neat. I drink my drinks with berries and crushed ice and salt on the rim.

All that said, Zima wasn't bad then, and White Claw isn't bad now.

Sue me.
Post of the year! 😂. I like most of your posts but this is the cream of the crop.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Will the current players hang around for more experimental trials and how many 3*, 4*, and 5* recruits want to be Guinea pigs?

Also, if recruits want to play on the big stage then Tech is low on their list right now. There were several TV blackouts this year and the best opportunities to see us on TV is when we are getting demolished by Clemson, ND, UGA, etc.

Dumpster fire.
Bingo! I wouldn't be surprised if other schools aren't contacting Gibbs and, especially, Sims after this season (indirectly, of course) and their families aren't thinking things over very seriously. Whether that will result in transfer for them is another story, of course, but I do expect us to loose some recruits after this season on both sides of the ball. We'll see.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I learned to drink bourbon there, and I still drink Bourbon and diet if I'm getting a simple cocktail, but I like fruity umbrella drinks, and I don't mind admitting it.

There are a million different flavored vodkas. There's not "vodka flavored" ANYTHING.

I don't drink my whiskey clear. I don't drink my scotch neat. I drink my drinks with berries and crushed ice and salt on the rim.

Sue me.
I do love a good bourbon or scotch straight but I agree about vodka. Even though like some of my Russian friends would tell me "you don't taste vodka, you feel it."

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

Sue me.
ILTO, I have been reading your posts for a while and I enjoy them. Forums need different views.......and they also need respect ( especially among fans).

slugboy

Staff member
I would be satisfied with at least not looking like complete fools on the field on both sides of the ball.

Seriously. It's embarrassing how bad we are. On Collins' watch we've lost to:
  • The Citidel
  • Temple
  • Duke
  • UCF
  • Syracuse
  • Northern Illinois
Those are not what one could call teams that should beat us, but they do. Anybody that typically does beat us has flat-out embarrassed us.

UCF in 2019 was a good team. A good tactical coach could have won that game and the Temple game.

The rest are table stakes, though—I agree on those. Citadel was the worst, but Syracuse is in the neighborhood.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You're not wrong about the experiment. I was one of the guys preaching patience and pointing to being in games in the 4th quarter (vs blow-outs) as progress. The problem at this point there's a third factor: scheme, talent and coaching. Talent alone won't win - look at Texas, USC, Miami, Tennessee the last decade.

CGC didn't take over Duke after Ted Roof that had won 4 games in 4 years. He didn't start from 0. The players on the roster he inherited won 7 games. Sure, transitioning the offense was going to be tough. We all expected some losses. But its not like we've been playing sound football and just getting out-muscled. From day one, this team has been undisciplined, confused, unable to tackle, kick or hold the ball. We could have UGA's roster and if we played as sloppily as we have we'd probably lose a lot of games. That's coaching. Better players, more mature players, can't fix coaching. The roster should be getting better. But unless the coaching improves/changes, the results will not. IMHO.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I would be satisfied with at least not looking like complete fools on the field on both sides of the ball.

• The Citidel
  • Temple
  • Duke
  • UCF
  • Syracuse
  • Northern Illinois
Those are not what one could call teams that should beat us, but they do. Anybody that typically does beat us has flat-out embarrassed us.
Tech lost to Duke in 2018, 2017, 2015, and 2014, and won by a measly 3 points and other-worldly day by Justin Thomas in 2016, so let's not pretend this is a new development.

In fact, Collins has won 2 of 3 versus Duke, although obviously didn't look good doing it this year.

I'd pull UCF off that list too. UCF has two undefeated seasons in the past...six years?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tech lost to Duke in 2018, 2017, 2015, and 2014, and won by a measly 3 points and other-worldly day by Justin Thomas in 2016, so let's not pretend this is a new development.

Thanks a lot. I had been successful up until reading your post at suppressing this fact.Maybe the saddest sentence ever typed. (This will undoubtedly spur a few sick individuals to out do you. To you demented posters, don't. Aren't we sad enough already?) ;)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So, you're suggesting that he very well could with some Mentos and a three liter bottle of Coke?
No, he would fail in three tries, but before he did, he would say it was the most difficult experiment in the history of chemistry. Never been done before...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Thanks a lot. I had been successful up until reading your post at suppressing this fact.Maybe the saddest sentence ever typed. (This will undoubtedly spur a few sick individuals to out do you. To you demented posters, don't. Aren't we sad enough already?) ;)
No, I need more self-flagellation. I find it cathartic.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh I was at most of those games...I'm well aware of those facts. The point is to be aware that some trends aren't necessarily new.

To address the OP (great post), personally I'm not even a fan of holding the baby. I wait until they are a few years older, aren't spitting up all over themselves and can speak in somewhat complete sentences.

I'm not a fan of giving up on this experiment, mainly because I believe it will absolutely cripple GT football. Basketball is not football, but Hewitt's contract and firing buried the basketball program for almost ten years. Tech cannot afford a $12 million buyout, and *then* raise sufficient funds to hire a coach who can do any better. Collins is a salesman. He's a great (or at least good) recruiter. The devil's been in the details, and he hasn't shown strong game day coaching skills.

I think it goes back to the "CEO and 3 letters joke" that I originally saw on here. Collins has already blamed the previous guy. Now it's time to pull out the "reorganize" envelope, and if that doesn't work, it's time to prepare three envelopes...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Bingo! I wouldn't be surprised if other schools aren't contacting Gibbs and, especially, Sims after this season (indirectly, of course) and their families aren't thinking things over very seriously. Whether that will result in transfer for them is another story, of course, but I do expect us to loose some recruits after this season on both sides of the ball. We'll see.

You guys have been expecting it since day 1, though. Seems like bad ju-ju to me to talk about bad stuff that hasn't happened. It seems like some folks actually want it to happen so it will hasten Collins' departure. Terrible look.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
This is my BIG question? Folks say that GC has recruited good players. In year 3 I have not seen the results " on the whole ". The DL and OL are atrocious. The D secondary is a joke , and they have been here for awhile. The QB's are still learning, but have a long way to go. All this said, GC gets 1 more year, no more!!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I understand where the OP is coming from. But, as pointed out, if a tornado wipes out the lab is it smart to continue the experiment in the parking lot being exposed to the elements? Right now, no one has decomitted and no one has entered the portal. But this is like sitting on the beach enjoying the summer breeze when the weatherman knows a hurricane is coming. I hate to say it but we are going to lose current players and we are going to lose commits. We’ve won 9 games in 3 years. Players and parents aren’t going to wait for an experiment. They are going to bounce. When Derrick Moore left that was a major red flag. He is GT thru and thru from my area and he bouncy (I know it’s about money). I wish we could run thru this experiment, but the scientist doesn’t even know how to use the bunsen burner so the experiment may not be valid in the end anyway.
But a tornado hasn't taken out the lab. It's still ongoing and moving forward. When the season is over we'll see what happens with this staff. It will be an interesting discussion. Some will think not enough has been done, some will think too much has been done, and some won't have a clue.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is my BIG question? Folks say that GC has recruited good players. In year 3 I have not seen the results " on the whole ". The DL and OL are atrocious. The D secondary is a joke , and they have been here for awhile. The QB's are still learning, but have a long way to go. All this said, GC gets 1 more year, no more!!
Well, "his" players are still pretty damn young. That being said, we should not be seeing so many blown assignments on defense. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what that's happening. I would suggest that most of the keyboard warriors on this site are in the same boat.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

• The Citidel
  • Temple
  • Duke
  • UCF
  • Syracuse
  • Northern Illinois
LOL! Citadel, Temple, and Duke were 2 years ago; the first year under the new staff. UCF was pretty good when we played them. We beat Duke the past 2 years, so nice try. Syracuse was a COVID season thing, so...

I have no comment about NIU or any other "bad" loss this year.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I really enjoyed your post @ilovetheoption and your perspective. At this point I am ready to end the experiment. I think (and I have said) Collins’ recruiting classes are mediocre. We are just getting talent that “fits the mold” and are therefore rated higher.

Is Gibbs really good? Yes, but so was Days, Mills, and Laskey they were just in different roles as required by the offense.