ESPN says we have

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
at what point did we have any “advantages” we have beat them 4 times since 2000. they crushed gailey, they’ve crushed the option and they’ve now crushed collins. dropping them now would be pointless when they’ve been doing the same thing to us for almost 2 decades. at no point in the past 2 decades have we beat them regularly. it’s also one of the only games that fills the stadium at this point so i don’t think we’re dropping it any time soon
Last part of your last sentence. (... I don't think we re dropping Uga anytime soon) made wonder if they may drop us . Currently they are focused on getting to playoffs and need to finish strong at decision time. Are we a trap game that's not worth the risk verses the reward? Are we so bad they may drop us?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Last part of your last sentence. (... I don't think we re dropping Uga anytime soon) made wonder if they may drop us . Currently they are focused on getting to playoffs and need to finish strong at decision time. Are we a trap game that's not worth the risk verses the reward? Are we so bad they may drop us?

I don't think they would ever drop us. Too many advantages for this game for them to drop it....an OOC opponent from the P5 where they have home field advantage every year and many years it is a chance to play backups in the second half the week before the SEC championship. Yes, we may beat them 10-20% of the time but they have too many other reasons to keep this game. IMO.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and the question is why? I've written here before about the unrealistic expectations of some of our fans and - dare I say it? - of our AD and coaching staff. It shows up no where more clearly then in our scheduling. Our athletic department seems to think that insuring a tough schedule will either a) toughen us up or b) insure rankings or c) help recruiting or d) all three. What it does instead is make it damn near impossible for us to have a consistently winning team. I'm with those above who would ditch the game with Georgia until we get our heads above water. We ditched Awbun, Bammer, and Tennessee without even a blink. I would miss the Ugag game just as much as I miss playing Auburn, but enough is enough.

I wouldn't have said this as few as 5 years ago when we had teams that could and did beat the Dwags regularly. But now we have given up most of the advantages we had then and without them we don't stand much of a chance. Why prolong the situation, simply for bravado's sake? Schedule to win and start doing it now.
Gailey and Collins were both unable to beat uga. At all. Ever. Sadly, there were few to zero even close losses.

It may be coincidence but what the two coaches had in common was claiming players who could make it in the pros and running a conventional or “pro style” offense and being very predictable in their play calling. Other than both claiming to have great relations with high school coaches, they had little else in common.

One could make a case for you know what as a result but realistically we are going to try at least one more coach in this mold before we look for unique scheme advantages.

JacketFan137

Banned
Gailey and Collins were both unable to beat uga. At all. Ever. Sadly, there were few to zero even close losses.

It may be coincidence but what the two coaches had in common was claiming players who could make it in the pros and running a conventional or “pro style” offense and being very predictable in their play calling. Other than both claiming to have great relations with high school coaches, they had little else in common.

One could make a case for you know what as a result but realistically we are going to try at least one more coach in this mold before we look for unique scheme advantages.
it’s a bit unfair to collins to act like this is the same uga that paul and chan played. they’re in a much better position now than they were at any point in the past 2 decades

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and the question is why? I've written here before about the unrealistic expectations of some of our fans and - dare I say it? - of our AD and coaching staff. It shows up no where more clearly then in our scheduling. Our athletic department seems to think that insuring a tough schedule will either a) toughen us up or b) insure rankings or c) help recruiting or d) all three. What it does instead is make it damn near impossible for us to have a consistently winning team. I'm with those above who would ditch the game with Georgia until we get our heads above water. We ditched Awbun, Bammer, and Tennessee without even a blink. I would miss the Ugag game just as much as I miss playing Auburn, but enough is enough.

I wouldn't have said this as few as 5 years ago when we had teams that could and did beat the Dwags regularly. But now we have given up most of the advantages we had then and without them we don't stand much of a chance. Why prolong the situation, simply for bravado's sake? Schedule to win and start doing it now.
It's hard to drop uga because of the $$$. Dropping Clempson, who has only recently been good multiple years in a row is dumb. All the teams you mentioned ($ec teams) were easy to schedule when we were independent, yet get harder to regularly schedule once we became ACC. And when did we regularly beat uga? 4 times this century is not regularly. We have a middling ACC schedule with ND occasionally and Clempson every year. We schedule 2 P5, a G5 and FCS. If we had all G5 or FCS boy howdy look at all them sold out games. Or a dud of a team like Kansas or Indiana would fill it up and cause secondary tix to be sky high.
Our schedule is fine, it just sucks that we've been low when our 2 main rivals have hit their peaks. The cycle cannot go on forever. See bama before Saban. See the OSU before Tressel. See Clempson before Dabo. I love the fact that we have the possibility of beating uga and knocking them out of CFP. Look at the Oklahoma OSU. Thoes few times OSU beats their big brother, they get bragging rights about the win AND that they knocked OU from the top bowls.
I'm not saying we will go 15-0 this year (I mean I'd really love to tell a lot of you I told you so) or that CGC will ever beat uga. I'm just saying our schedule is hard because of 2 teams and the occasional ND thrown in there. We scheduled Ole Miss 2 or 3 coaches ago. Just happens that they are on an up swing but also are breaking in a new QB, ala Clempson, Pitt, UNC etc. We may surprise a lot of folks this year. Or, we may be looking for a new head coach in October.
Either way, I'll be rocking it in section 121. Go Tech!!!! 137 days till we beat Clempson in the Benz!

JacketFan137

Banned
And we are much, much worse, which was the point. Chan lost every game when uga was beatable. Now we are applying the same formula with worse results.
the option wasnt doing much better against kirby after year 1 of his tenure. probably would be giving us the same results regardless. at this point the only adjustment is gonna be waiting it out and hoping that this is just a cycle and they are at the peak of it. UGA has far too much talent and athleticism that is being coached too well to rely on a gimmick to get us past them. honestly at this point they are not the measuring stick that the program should be using anyway as much as that pains me to say.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
the option wasnt doing much better against kirby after year 1 of his tenure. probably would be giving us the same results regardless. at this point the only adjustment is gonna be waiting it out and hoping that this is just a cycle and they are at the peak of it. UGA has far too much talent and athleticism that is being coached too well to rely on a gimmick to get us past them. honestly at this point they are not the measuring stick that the program should be using anyway as much as that pains me to say.
Reasonable argument.

But after both Chan and Geoffrey I am leaning toward this being a failed experiment.

This conversation doesn’t have to be a rehash of every other pro vs con of CPJ and the option. I suspect we should also be cautious about throwing around the word gimmicky. If anything the results on the field show me that the most gimmicky thing Tech ever did was hiring Chan and Geoffrey on the notion that there is something magical about “pro style” at Tech. And never forget, their recruiting chops were supposed to give us the margin to compete with the top dogs of football.

No, it’s time to put away both the prejudice for or against a particular offense and look at actual results without blinders. I’m willing to give one more “pro style” recruiting genius a chance at Tech but my gut says it will only confirm the results of the last two experiments at this.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Reasonable argument.

But after both Chan and Geoffrey I am leaning toward this being a failed experiment.

This conversation doesn’t have to be a rehash of every other pro vs con of CPJ and the option. I suspect we should also be cautious about throwing around the word gimmicky. If anything the results on the field show me that the most gimmicky thing Tech ever did was hiring Chan and Geoffrey on the notion that there is something magical about “pro style” at Tech. And never forget, their recruiting chops were supposed to give us the margin to compete with the top dogs of football.

No, it’s time to put away both the prejudice for or against a particular offense and look at actual results without blinders. I’m willing to give one more “pro style” recruiting genius a chance at Tech but my gut says it will only confirm the results of the last two experiments at this.

We can run Baltimore's offense and be successful at the college level. Zone option is prostyle now.

JacketFan137

Banned
We can run Baltimore's offense and be successful at the college level. Zone option is prostyle now.
yeah exactly there’s concepts that work that we can implement. going back to the paul johnson coaching tree just shouldn’t be on the cards. at the end of the day paul and chan had nearly identical win percentages too so let’s not act like paul was SOOO much better than chan. paul was just inconsistent and had a much higher ceiling.

i think chip long’s ideas could work for us. emphasizing hurry up (something every coach has refused to do for some reason) is one of the equalizers we’ve seen thats been what got schools like UCF and oregon closer to the big boys.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
yeah exactly there’s concepts that work that we can implement. going back to the paul johnson coaching tree just shouldn’t be on the cards. at the end of the day paul and chan had nearly identical win percentages too so let’s not act like paul was SOOO much better than chan. paul was just inconsistent and had a much higher ceiling.

i think chip long’s ideas could work for us. emphasizing hurry up (something every coach has refused to do for some reason) is one of the equalizers we’ve seen thats been what got schools like UCF and oregon closer to the big boys.

Paul Johnson's offense from 2014 can't exist today anyway with all the targeted rule changes. Every one will have to go to a zone/sprint scheme pretty soon even monken. Hurry up only works when your defense has a pulse.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Only quibble with this post is that, yes, Paul WAS much better than Chan. Otherwise, yes, their records were nearly identical. But I’ll take beating uga, other rivals, and being competitive in ACC championships mixed in with the same won loss average over all the disappointments of Chan/Geoffrey.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I hope it does work, but understand a hurry up offense can wear down a defence fast, and I'm not talking about the other teams defence, there are times it's better to slow down so our defense can rest.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
at what point did we have any “advantages” we have beat them 4 times since 2000. they crushed gailey, they’ve crushed the option and they’ve now crushed collins. dropping them now would be pointless when they’ve been doing the same thing to us for almost 2 decades. at no point in the past 2 decades have we beat them regularly. it’s also one of the only games that fills the stadium at this point so i don’t think we’re dropping it any time soon
Here's a great idea: why not invite all our prospects...especially the in-state kids...to that last home game every other year so they can see how full our stadium is?

I'll bet last year's game has left an indelible memory like nothing else ever will.

:confused:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Our schedule is fine, it just sucks that we've been low when our 2 main rivals have hit their peaks. The cycle cannot go on forever.
Sadly, I disagree. Our problem is systemic and cannot be changed: we are a small school with rigorous academics, limited majors, and too few fan$ in the local market to compete on a level playing field with the semi-pro teams that surround us in all directions.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hope it does work, but understand a hurry up offense can wear down a defence fast, and I'm not talking about the other teams defence, there are times it's better to slow down so our defense can rest.
Well, if the offense scores a lot and the defense sucks, Chip Long will end up head coach. Maybe that's his plan...