ESPN Interview with CPJ

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Another one, and yes it's got air under it, but that's the nature of our deep passing game. Bottom line is, if he has protection and steps into his throws, he's sufficient.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Another one, and yes it's got air under it, but that's the nature of our deep passing game. Bottom line is, if he has protection and steps into his throws, he's sufficient.

This does not help your argument. I can make that pass. Total coverage bust.

We need a qb that can hit a 15-25 yard curl. We don’t have that.

If we had another Bebe or Calvin the deep pass would be sufficient, but our receivers aren’t athletic enough to make that our only passing attack.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
That’s a good pass. That being said...that’s busted coverage. No one overtop so he can just lob it. I’m saying an example where he got something in a tight window at 20+ yards. He simply doesn’t have the zip for my eyes. I’d love to be wrong.
You'll be hard pressed to find many passes that your referring to by any of our QBs in the CPJ era. Our wideouts rarely face double coverage because most of the opposing safeties are in the box unless its on a blatantly obvious passing down. You have reason to be sceptical about TaQuon's ability to make the throw you're suggesting, but not because he can't. He just really has had to. If our receivers are being cover by a corner and shaded by a safety that would mean we are throwing far more than 10 times a game, and if our offense is clicking that's simply never going to be the case.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
You'll be hard pressed to find many passes that your referring to by any of our QBs in the CPJ era. Our wideouts rarely face double coverage because most of the opposing safeties are in the box unless its on a blatantly obvious passing down. You have reason to be sceptical about TaQuon's ability to make the throw you're suggesting, but not because he can't. He just really has had to.

He can’t make intermediate throws into single coverage. That is certainly a play we used to run out of play action. We can no longer do it. Streak routes aren’t sufficient as the only passing attack. Drop the safeties into the box and have corners give 10 yards of cushion. We won’t make any passes. This is a problem on any obvious passing situation(ie third and long).

On first and second, sure, we may get a streak route open. But when you have to convert that third and long one game winning drive, we can’t do it with him. FIN.

Last edited:

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
What I’m saying is that if we get to 3 and 10, it’s pretty much an automatic punt with TM. I love the kid and think he’s a good player. But this is a serious deficit. If the running game remains effective, we’ll still win games. But we cannot have anything like 2014 with him. We’ll never convert a 3rd and long pass.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
He can’t make intermediate throws into single coverage. That is certainly a play we used to run out of play action. We can no longer do it. Streak routes aren’t sufficient as the only passing attack. Drop the safeties into the box and have corners give 10 yards of cushion. We won’t make any passes. This is a problem on any obvious passing situation(ie third and long).
You're changing your argument but I don't disagree with you. Its hard to believe someone can doing something if you haven't seen it. But the optimist in me will just leave it at that. He might be able to complete a deep ball to a covered receiver with both a safety and corner, I just haven't seen it becausehe hasn't been placed in that situation.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
You're changing your argument but I don't disagree with you. Its hard to believe someone can doing something if you haven't seen it. But the optimist in me will just leave it at that. He might be able to complete a deep ball to a covered receiver with both a safety and corner, I just haven't seen it becausehe hasn't been placed in that situation.

Where did I change my argument? I said show me a 20+ yard dot. I haven’t seen it. I’ve seen lobs and nothing more. (By dot I mean a pass in a tight window).

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
This does not help your argument. I can make that pass. Total coverage bust.

uncle-rico.jpg

We need a qb that can hit a 15-25 yard curl.

No we don't. We literally NEVER throw that route, and won't.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually TM threw a pretty good pass to Juene in the UT game that was a 15 yard curl, it was the first throw in the above video.

Yeah - from watching that, I was like wait the first play is the pass I’m looking for. That was the best pass I’ve seen from him. It was almost a pick, but it was his best pass I’ve seen. I don’t know how often he can do that. I’m guessing that was cover 4 and it was a crappy coverage to run against us. Just run cover 2 in that situation and it’s not open.

I retain my comments about the play at 47.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

What’s the play at 2:08 here? 1:40 is a shallow post, which is another route TM can’t complete.

Great argument from Napoleon dynamite. Anyone who can throw a football with decent accuracy 35 yards would make that pass. A fair number of adult men can do that.

To say TM CANT complete that pass is just false. I’m not saying TM is this great passer, nor am I saying he makes those throws often, I’m just saying the ability is there.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
You might want to go back and watch that throw. Go to 47 seconds into the video.

Help me out here. A bullet to the right isn’t a td? The safety was able to make the tackle purely because it was over the top. On a side note - that safety is ridiculously fast. Who is that? Searcy is quick and he caught him.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yeah - from watching that, I was like wait the first play is the pass I’m looking for. That was the best pass I’ve seen from him. It was almost a pick, but it was his best pass I’ve seen. I don’t know how often he can do that. I’m guessing that was cover 4 and it was a crappy coverage to run against us. Just run cover 2 in that situation and it’s not open.

I retain my comments about the play at 47.
I think we aren’t as far off as you may think. I agree the passing needs to be WAY better, but he has proven the ability is there. From what I have seen and heard. He needs to work on his drop back so he can see plays develop better and he needs to stoping dipping his back shoulder and throwing off his back foot.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we aren’t as far off as you may think. I agree the passing needs to be WAY better, but he has proven the ability is there. From what I have seen and heard. He needs to work on his drop back so he can see plays develop better and he needs to stoping dipping his back shoulder and throwing off his back foot.

That Tennessee play is reassuring, but I still just don’t think he has the arm strength to make that play reasonably effective. I hope he works on it. We need that play.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Help me out here. A bullet to the right isn’t a td? The safety was able to make the tackle purely because it was over the top. On a side note - that safety is ridiculously fast. Who is that? Searcy is quick and he caught him.
I’m not understanding you first comment “a bullet to the right isn’t a TD? The safety was able to make the tackle purely because it was over the top”

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That Tennessee play is reassuring, but I still just don’t think he has the arm strength to make that play reasonably effective. I hope he works on it. We need that play.
I really hope he can make that throw consistent as well. I think the arm strength is there, he just needs his mechanics need to be on point.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not understanding you first comment “a bullet to the right isn’t a TD? The safety was able to make the tackle purely because it was over the top”

The pass to searcy at :47. He lobbed it over the top and the safety was already running that direction. Zip it to the right and the safety has a harder angle and QS can tuck and burst sooner.