ESPN Interview with CPJ

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I really hope he can make that throw consistent as well. I think the arm strength is there, he just needs his mechanics need to be on point.

Don’t forget that that no one should run that coverage(I’m assuming it’s 4) against us, there is no need. Maybe they worried about a scramble...idk. Have no idea why the db was so far behind the receiver. It’s not 3rd and 25. If I was a Tennessee fan I’d be livid. But it was the first game and no one knew what TM was gonna be like.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The pass to searcy at :47. He lobbed it over the top and the safety was already running that direction. Zip it to the right and the safety has a harder angle and QS can tuck and burst sooner.
You throw that to the right and it’s a 10 times harder catch because Q has to rotate his body. That way definitely the right throw, because anything thrown not over the top would have also had a greater chance to be knocked down.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt anyone in this thread thinks TM is the passer JeT was. I hope he will be improved in 2018, just like you do.

Some people think you don’t need intermediate passing or it doesn’t exist in our playbook. I’d argue it’s a necessity to make this offense work and keep the safeties honest. It’s a struggle with TM so far. I hope it gets better. It’s the most concerning part of the game for me.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
You throw that to the right and it’s a 10 times harder catch because Q has to rotate his body. That way definitely the right throw, because anything thrown not over the top would have also had a greater chance to be knocked down.

No one is in position to knock down a throw to the right. The right side cb is covering the WR. The better point is if that ball gets to QS faster, it’s a td. Another indicator of TM’s arm/mechanics.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You might want to go back and watch that throw. Go to 47 seconds into the video.

TW47, right vid but I found a better example. It’s the very first highlight: on 3rd and 17, TM throws a 19 yard frozen rope into a tiny window of over/under coverage on the sideline to Ricky Jeune. Beautiful pass. With time to throw he can be money. I doubt JeT threw any finer a pass than that one. The problem is consistency.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
TW47, right vid but I found a better example. It’s the very first highlight: on 3rd and 17, TM throws a 19 yard frozen rope into a tiny window of over/under coverage on the sideline to Ricky Jeune. Beautiful pass. With time to throw he can be money. I doubt JeT threw any finer a pass than that one. The problem is consistency.

It was third and 12, and we’ve already been talking about it as being the best example of his passing. It was also horrid coverage decision by Tennessee. Good throw though. Note that due to the underneath coverage, that is not a frozen rope. It’s a pick six if throws a bolt. That is a touch pass/slight lob. He could have thrown a lollipop and it would be complete. The deep DB is so far off it boggles the mind. I guess the underneath lb/cb was split between the drag and the curl and would normally cover the curl.

Last edited:

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Where did I change my argument? I said show me a 20+ yard dot. I haven’t seen it. I’ve seen lobs and nothing more. (By dot I mean a pass in a tight window).
You said, "He can’t make intermediate throws into single coverage". Your original point was he can't throw 20+ yard dots on anything that's not a busted coverage. Your original point was about long passes, which are 20+ yards. Then you brought up intermediate throws in your quote above, which are 11-20 yards. Clear change in arguement, but like I said I don't disagree with your ORIGINAL point.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No one is in position to knock down a throw to the right. The right side cb is covering the WR. The better point is if that ball gets to QS faster, it’s a td. Another indicator of TM’s arm/mechanics.
A throw to the right would have been on Qua’s back shoulder and a way harder catch though. And more of a bullet pass would have had a better chance to be knocked down even to the right because the DB could have rotated his hips and atleast threw a hand up. The ball being thrown over the top was where only Qua could get it and the easiest catch for Qua.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
You said, "He can’t make intermediate throws into single coverage". Your original point was he can't throw 20+ yard dots on anything that's not a busted coverage. Your original point was about long passes, which are 20+ yards. Then you brought up intermediate throws in your quote above, which are 11-20 yards. Clear change in arguement, but like I said I don't disagree with your ORIGINAL point.

To me, an intermediate pass is 15-25 yards. Depends on your definition. Long is more 30+ yards. These are not hard and fast definitions. We’ll have to disagree on those.

My entire point is that there’s a hole here and and I hope he worked on it.

The main issue last year is that I kept seeing Dbs able to run under his passes. It’s not an accuracy question, it’s a mechanics and arm strength issue, that presents itself in trying to throw passes in even moderate windows over 20 yards. It seems he can only complete passes where there are gaping holes in coverage, otherwise the DBs will easily react and run under the pass. I think we more or less agree on this and I think we’ve covered it.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
A throw to the right would have been on Qua’s back shoulder and a way harder catch though. And more of a bullet pass would have had a better chance to be knocked down even to the right because the DB could have rotated his hips and atleast threw a hand up. The ball being thrown over the top was where only Qua could get it and the easiest catch for Qua.

We’ll just have to disagree on this. The DB wasn’t going to be there in time if the ball got there faster. He was in a dead sprint to cover the jailbreak. He wasn’t gonna flip around and swat. He was 8+ yards off QS when he broke into coverage. No way he does anything other than tackle the receiver high and hard. A missed swat is a td.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We’ll just have to disagree on this. The DB wasn’t going to be there in time if the ball got there faster. He was in a dead sprint to cover the jailbreak. He wasn’t gonna flip around and swat. He was 8+ yards off QS when he broke into coverage. No way he does anything other than tackle the receiver high and hard. A missed swat is a td.
So even if he can’t get a hand on the ball (which I will concede) that is still a lot harder of a ball to catch, because Qua is having to flip his hips at full speed to catch the back shoulder catch. Its also a harder throw to have chemistry with.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Marshall's passing problem last year was less about arm strength and more about releasing on time. He was consistently 1 to 2 counts late throwing the ball.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
To me, an intermediate pass is 15-25 yards. Depends on your definition. Long is more 30+ yards. These are not hard and fast definitions. We’ll have to disagree on those.

My entire point is that there’s a hole here and and I hope he worked on it.

The main issue last year is that I kept seeing Dbs able to run under his passes. It’s not an accuracy question, it’s a mechanics and arm strength issue, that presents itself in trying to throw passes in even moderate windows over 20 yards. It seems he can only complete passes where there are gaping holes in coverage, otherwise the DBs will easily react and run under the pass. I think we more or less agree on this and I think we’ve covered it.
I hope he can improve on his accuracy, mechanics, and consistency as well. If he can I think we're in store for an historic season. Fingers crossed!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
An improvement in footwork as he delivers the ball can make a big difference in his passing. It’s supposedly something he’s been working on. Maybe we will see some results of it Friday night.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Marshall's passing problem last year was less about arm strength and more about releasing on time. He was consistently 1 to 2 counts late throwing the ball.

Marshall's problem, and it will continue to be, is he has issues throwing a wet ball. GT had a higher than normal amount of games in the rain, and when TQM had to throw, the ball just sailed (and that's being nice).

DC's know Marshall can't throw in the rain, and if you go back and watch the tape, they sold out on the run because they saw what we all saw.

In decent to good conditions, Marshall can make pretty much all the throws required in our offense. The hope is GT plays in better conditions next season.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Marshall's problem, and it will continue to be, is he has issues throwing a wet ball. GT had a higher than normal amount of games in the rain, and when TQM had to throw, the ball just sailed (and that's being nice).

DC's know Marshall can't throw in the rain, and if you go back and watch the tape, they sold out on the run because they saw what we all saw.

In decent to good conditions, Marshall can make pretty much all the throws required in our offense. The hope is GT plays in better conditions next season.
Yes, he has a tendency to get his hand under the ball and sling it like a shortstop.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our problems in the rain extend far beyond our QB play. After the first week of preseason practice I say turn the sprinklers on and figure out how to play in the rain.

If I was an away opponent I’d soak the field soggy 2 hours before kickoff against us.