ESPN Interview with CPJ

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/100650/new-look-defense-offers-fresh-start-for-georgia-tech

New-look defense offers fresh start for Georgia Tech

Justin Thomas was a foundational guy at Georgia Tech, but TaQuon Marshall not only filled those shoes but really became a star. How did you evaluate his year and where can he improve for 2018?

Johnson: Oh yeah, there's no question he can improve a great deal. We just finished a lot of the cut-ups, and he was dynamic with the ball in his hands and did a nice job of creating some things when there wasn't a lot there. But he can be way more consistent, especially in the passing game and with his reads, as well. There were times when we missed way too many reads.

When you talk about the struggles in the passing game, how much of that is on Marshall, how much on the reads he's making, how much on the receivers not getting open?

Johnson: Usually it's all of the above. Finding the right reads, being accurate, having guys who can get separation. For us, the better our running game is, the better our passing game will be since a lot of it is geared off play-action. If we do a better job with the reads and in the running game, the passing game is going to be better.

Deleted member 2897

It definitely stinks to lose the experience of folks like the Austins. But its also hard to not be optimistic about picking up 4 inches at each DB position and a few more inches on top of that in reach.

The number of MULTI-YEAR returning starters is amazing. Think about folks like Clinton Lynch, Qua Searcy, AJ Gray, Brant Mitchell, Will Bryan, Brad Stewart, and so on - they are essentially 3 year starters back again for year #4. And around them are a ton of other 2 and 1 year returning starters.

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

Marshall passed at 37.1%, which is just awful. I just don’t get why he is the sure shot starter.

To me he seems much more elusive and dynamic in the running game. And that's 80% of what we do. So lets say for example Lucas Johnson could complete 62.1% of his passes, just to make an easy number that is 25% higher than Marshall. That would only give Johnson a decided advantage on 25% of the 20% of our plays. That's 5% of the plays we run. Yes this is a massive oversimplification. But being able to complete passes on 5% more of our plays is not necessarily enough to overcome what may be a material advantage on all the rest of the plays which are rushes of some sort.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Marshall passed at 37.1%, which is just awful. I just don’t get why he is the sure shot starter.
I don't think he is or that Coach said that. He was asked if TaQuon could get better and he said, "Sure." That's different from a blanket endorsement.

Oth, there's no doubt that he has the inside track and the probability is that he'll be our starting QB, pretty much for the reason Bwelbo points out above. But he has to improve this spring. We'll just have to wait and see on that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
To me he seems much more elusive and dynamic in the running game. And that's 80% of what we do. So lets say for example Lucas Johnson could complete 62.1% of his passes, just to make an easy number that is 25% higher than Marshall. That would only give Johnson a decided advantage on 25% of the 20% of our plays. That's 5% of the plays we run. Yes this is a massive oversimplification. But being able to complete passes on 5% more of our plays is not necessarily enough to overcome what may be a material advantage on all the rest of the plays which are rushes of some sort.
yeah, but the success on those additional 25% of passing plays just caused the safeties to stay back and the middle linebacker to hesitate enough to allow our running game to come alive. The passing game is necessary to keep the defensive backs honest. Sell out to stop the run, and we'll drop a quick-6 on you faster than you can blink.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
yeah, but the success on those additional 25% of passing plays just caused the safeties to stay back and the middle linebacker to hesitate enough to allow our running game to come alive. The passing game is necessary to keep the defensive backs honest. Sell out to stop the run, and we'll drop a quick-6 on you faster than you can blink.
FB,
yep, putting on a quick six is what should happen IN THEORY-- but all these things must happen--(1) the OL HAS to block for an extended time AFTER picking up the sell-out LBs and DBs (2) the QB has get back and pick the right rec (3) the QB has to throw the ball accurately (4) the rec must CATCH THE BALL . ALL these things happened WAY too infrequently last yr

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
The problem with that is, if you don’t threaten the defense with the pass the defense will not worry about it and put more players in the box. I remember in the duke game the safeties were like 9 yards off the ball and then as the game went along they were 7 yards off the ball. LJ MAY not run the ball as well as TM but if he passes the ball better then the running lanes may be more open and have better results. My opinion is that it took teams half the season to realize that we could not consistently complete passes and then they started playing us differently. Either way, I hope whoever starts can complete pass, run the O, and win games. Can’t wait till the Spring game!

I don't think he is or that Coach said that. He was asked if TaQuon could get better and he said, "Sure." That's different from a blanket endorsement.

Oth, there's no doubt that he has the inside track and the probability is that he'll be our starting QB, pretty much for the reason Bwelbo points out above. But he has to improve this spring. We'll just have to wait and see on that.

I think what CPJ would like to see is the number 2 step up so TaQuon would be playing 70-80% and the other guy the rest. CPJ probably would like to have his next QB ready for next year.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The Whole defense should be much better IMO, majority of players will be Freshmen/ Sophomores. The secondary is going to be nasty this season, faster stronger and most importantly taller. There could be times this season were every DB on the field is a 4 Star. The Austin’s were great for their size but I just hated how the Austin’s ran their mouths the most and were the ones always getting picked on. I love the trash talk and I wish more Tech players engaged in it but it just didn’t seem right for them to do it the most. The Linebacker core will be solid too, I think Quez and Justice will both get playing time this season since we will be using 4 LBs. We have at least 7-8 DL that should get important snaps this season. I really hope JaQuon gets some PT he has some of the best Hands and Footwork I’ve ever seen from any football player not just DL. Paul Johnson himself said we recruited him thinking he would compete for playing time early. Plus he’s just a winner coming from a great program. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 6-7 True Freshman getting playing Time this year on defense.
Chimedza.
Griffin.
Dingle.
Jackson.
King.
Thomas.
Maybe even Walton.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The Whole defense should be much better IMO, majority of players will be Freshmen/ Sophomores. The secondary is going to be nasty this season, faster stronger and most importantly taller. There could be times this season were every DB on the field is a 4 Star. The Austin’s were great for their size but I just hated how the Austin’s ran their mouths the most and were the ones always getting picked on. I love the trash talk and I wish more Tech players engaged in it but it just didn’t seem right for them to do it the most. The Linebacker core will be solid too, I think Quez and Justice will both get playing time this season since we will be using 4 LBs. We have at least 7-8 DL that should get important snaps this season. I really hope JaQuon gets some PT he has some of the best Hands and Footwork I’ve ever seen from any football player not just DL. Paul Johnson himself said we recruited him thinking he would compete for playing time early. Plus he’s just a winner coming from a great program. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 6-7 True Freshman getting playing Time this year on defense.
Chimedza.
Griffin.
Dingle.
Jackson.
King.
Thomas.
Maybe even Walton.

Typically.....

A new scheme + majority of guys freshmen and sophomores + 6-7 true freshmen getting significant playing time = unmitigated disaster.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
God it would be so nice to get back to the ACCG. But ya know. We gotta like, win first. Excited to see this new D. We have a lot of young talent waiting to get PT. That CB/Safety(?) that had the winning defensive play against VT gives me hope for this year.