ESPN Interview with CPJ

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
yeah, but the success on those additional 25% of passing plays just caused the safeties to stay back and the middle linebacker to hesitate enough to allow our running game to come alive. The passing game is necessary to keep the defensive backs honest. Sell out to stop the run, and we'll drop a quick-6 on you faster than you can blink.
Still need receivers that can get separation.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Marshall passed at 37.1%, which is just awful. I just don’t get why he is the sure shot starter.

Your question was sorta answered in the ESPN quote above

If we do a better job with the reads and in the running game, the passing game is going to be better.

It doesn’t matter if we’ve Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as backup, if they can’t run the base run game effectively. They will not play! Simple as that. As of now, that is Taquon. If LJ, TO, or JG can be good in the option part of the scheme then they will leap frog TQM

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Still need a lot of things with play makers on the outside near the top of the wish list. In fact the only position groups that I am pretty confident in are offensive line, Bbacks, maybe linebackers to a lesser extent. Everything else is up for grabs. Improvement in strength and conditioning is imperative as well as a step up in team leadership. This is a team that could go either way in a pivotal year. Not having a Smelter, Dwyer, AA, or Bey Bey just makes things that much harder. When you don't have the horses to out athlete people execution becomes critical.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

It doesn’t matter if we’ve Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as backup, if they can’t run the base run game effectively. They will not play! Simple as that. As of now, that is Taquon. If LJ, TO, or JG can be good in the option part of the scheme then they will leap frog TQM
TO is the closest thing we’ve ever had to a true veer option qb out of high school. Even more so than Jaybo.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

That’s problematic.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I'm optimistic about next year, similar to how I was optimistic about 2016. We lost 4 games that we had a lead of 2 scores in. That's very rare, similar to all the close losses and injuries we had in 2015. 2016, our luck went the other way and we had a solid season. New D, a lot of experience on O, I think luck falls back on our side this year. I think we could win 9 games at least.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. And linemen that can sustain their blocks, and a QB that can hit the receiver in stride, and...and...and...

When you run it, 1 thing can go wrong, when you throw it 3 things can go wrong. Understood. The point I was making is that if you can't throw with some consistency, it will have a strong adverse effect on the running game.

Akin to a stretch-4 who can't shoot from outside. His man will sag to the middle and clog up the interior. That's why AD couldn't play the 4 this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
TO is the closest thing we’ve ever had to a true veer option qb out of high school. Even more so than Jaybo.

Synjyn Days ran pretty much an identical offense to ours at Hillgrove.

Lucas Johnson ran a similar offense to ours (per interviews) as a freshman and sophomore in HS.

slugboy

Staff member
I heard about Mike Leach’s offense that he never calls a run, but the QB can audible to one if it’s obvious that it’s an open play. Would hope we do the same for passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doug

Georgia Tech Fan
I heard about Mike Leach’s offense that he never calls a run, but the QB can audible to one if it’s obvious that it’s an open play. Would hope we do the same for passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes our QBs can audible to a pass, if the defense is giving it to us. The example that immediately comes to mind is in the 2016 Georgia Southern game. Southern put eight men in the box and showed A gap blitzes by both LBs. Justin Thomas saw it and made the easy check to a four verticles pass play and found Clinton Lynch wide open for the score.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes our QBs can audible to a pass, if the defense is giving it to us.

Maybe, maybe not. In the past CPJ has said that he does not give QB's the option to audible from a run play to a pass play, or vice versa. The reason why was that some QB, when given the choice, would always audible to the pass while others would always audible to the run.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, maybe not. In the past CPJ has said that he does not give QB's the option to audible from a run play to a pass play, or vice versa. The reason why was that some QB, when given the choice, would always audible to the pass while others would always audible to the run.

Jt really did have the freedom to audible so did tw. Vad lee did not nesbitt did not

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Who said he was a terrible option qb? Maybe Tevin Washington was just better. Maybe Vad Lee was just better.
Then why was he a terrible option qb, and don't say because he couldn't throw it in the ocean from a boat?
I don’t remember him being terrible. In fact, I remember Mark Bradley declaring him the starter after the spring game one year.