ESPN Interview with CPJ

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and a lot of us (i.e. me, among others) keep forgetting this. A notorious complaint around here is that our QBs only make one read. It's helpful to be reminded that this is how a run-and-shoot passing game usually works. Since the opposing Ds are normally all "OMG! OMG! He's gonna throw!" and immediately back up to cover lanes when our QB drops back, it isn't surprising at all that we often end up with a QB keeper on a designed pass play. Or running draws, for that matter.

That said, it is imperative that TaQuon get more comfortable with his throws. But that's largely a matter of quicker reads and getting used to passing under pressure; i.e. experience. Having the same OL for more then 3 games would help too, of course.
I've been one of the loudest whiners about missing (wide) open receivers, and I mean other area code open. That being said, I don't know the route tree and the progression, or if there is a progression because sometimes I am sure there is not. Just one guy and chunk it. That being said I did a lot of that in HS and some in small college and unless you have stood up in the maelstrom back there -- my recollection is that it was incredibly and unaccountably noisy, a lot of it R rated -- and tried to look downfield over bigger guys to decipher all the movement you're seeing, then you probably don't understand missed receivers or bad throws. (Missing a receiver in overdrive by two feet 40 yards down field is ... a bad throw. But think about it.) Marshall can get some better, maybe enough better. Frankly, if he hits 40% deep down field I am a happy camper.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe the term has evolved but a run-and-shoot the way I learned it isn't one read and then scramble. It usually involves 4 WR and lots of pre-snap motion to find out the coverage and the WR pick the route based on what they see as opposed to a pre-determined play call in the huddle. It's a very pass heavy offense and spreads the ball around.

Maybe CPJ coaches the QB to only make one read and then scramble but that's not traditionally how the passing game is taught according to everything I've read about the spread option out of a flexbone.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the term has evolved but a run-and-shoot the way I learned it isn't one read and then scramble. It usually involves 4 WR and lots of pre-snap motion to find out the coverage and the WR pick the route based on what they see as opposed to a pre-determined play call in the huddle. It's a very pass heavy offense and spreads the ball around.

Maybe CPJ coaches the QB to only make one read and then scramble but that's not traditionally how the passing game is taught according to everything I've read about the spread option out of a flexbone.

This is Choice from the Run and Shoot offense and the Choice Route has been a staple of our offense since Joshua Nesbitt was throwing to Demaryius Thomas. Sometimes, we run this exact play. Often, the A-Back does not run the drag route but instead pass protects. More often, the A-Back is part of a run fake.

This touchdown pass from Justin Thomas to DeAndre Smelter is the Choice play with a hard run fake:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Oddly enough I know a bit about Clemson's -- not a run and shoot -- from an acquaintance close to the program. It has both one and done looks when the QB takes off. But it has a two look tree before he bolts, and hardly ever a 3-progression. Their aim is to get it in the air or on the ground in a hurry and part of Bryant's difficulties at QB in '17 was his more deliberate reads of the defense. I am really looking forward to seeing how Morris installs his offense at Arkansas.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
There is a whole series associated with the link that big Philly posted, and along with the bird dog post entitled "reading is fundamental", I consider them essential reads for anyone wanting to fully enjoy Paul Johnson's offense.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

It has to do with the eyes. The run and shoot have roll that the QB does is to set up a running lane as well as a throwing lane. It goes primary , lane, secondary. A true r&S is 5 yarding it down the field on quick slants and outs and then taking shot plays when they bite. Otherwise the QB is getting the 5. June Jones' R&S concepts included some more progression reads as well but that wasn't the base play concept so to speak.

We do a mix of it. Often we roll and look at a primary then run a draw underneath, but when we absolutely need to throw ( 3rd and long etc) we call plays that have progressions in them while still being based on the R&S concepts of choice and option routes.

Edit to add. Most of the time the first read in the R&S is open due to the nature of the offense. Other times the run lane is closed quickly so that read isn't used. If you have a non mobile qb you often will forget the run read and instead have a dump off route to the RB.

Last edited:

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
My biggest problem with taquon is that he doesn’t have the arm strength to make 20+ yard throws. CBs can react and move in time to breakup the pass.

We cannnot effectively pass with taquon unless there is a total coverage bust.

Maybe he can work on getting bit more zip. Idk.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
My biggest problem with taquon is that he doesn’t have the arm strength to make 20+ yard throws. CBs can react and move in time to breakup the pass.

We cannnot effectively pass with taquon unless there is a total coverage bust.

Maybe he can work on getting bit more zip. Idk.
Lol, was 20 yards an exaggeration? He can pass the ball deep, even without broken coverage. The issue is being consistent in leading the receivers. I think part his issue is he drops his back shoulder and throws off his back foot.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol, was 20 yards an exaggeration? He can pass the ball deep, even without broken coverage. The issue is being consistent in leading the receivers. I think part his issue is he drops his back shoulder and throws off his back foot.

Show me a video of a 20+ yard dot and I may reconsider. I saw too many lollipops last year to be confident in his passing. His completion percentage indicates that.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Show me a video of a 20+ yard dot and I may reconsider. I saw too many lollipops last year to be confident in his passing. His completion percentage indicates that.
The pass the Searcy in the UT game. Stewart and Juene in the VT game. The pass to Camp in the Virginia game. None of those were “lollipops” I’m not saying he’s this great passer, but he has shown the ability to do it, just needs to be consistent.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Not saying you're wrong about issues with TM's passing, but, here's one:

That’s a good pass. That being said...that’s busted coverage. No one overtop so he can just lob it. I’m saying an example where he got something in a tight window at 20+ yards. He simply doesn’t have the zip for my eyes. I’d love to be wrong.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
The pass the Searcy in the UT game. Stewart and Juene in the VT game. The pass to Camp in the Virginia game. None of those were “lollipops” I’m not saying he’s this great passer, but he has shown the ability to do it, just needs to be consistent.

Searcy’s catch was a lob. If you look at how open he was, that cab had fantastic closing speed. If TM had zipped it to the right he would have had a td.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
My point here is if the other team plays cover one he will have trouble completing any passes. The deep safety will pick or break up any of these. Cover one still allows a lot of help in the run game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That’s a good pass. That being said...that’s busted coverage. No one overtop so he can just lob it. I’m saying an example where he got something in a tight window at 20+ yards. He simply doesn’t have the zip for my eyes. I’d love to be wrong.
How often did JT have to throw a ball 20 yards down field with a guy over the top? That’s not the nature of our offense because we create 1 on 1’s. Now JT definitely had a better arm, but still on deep throws he just needs to be more consistent in leading the WR’s and he will be much better.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
How often did JT have to throw a ball 20 yards down field with a guy over the top? That’s not the nature of our offense because we create 1 on 1’s. Now JT definitely had a better arm, but still on deep throws he just needs to be more consistent in leading the WR’s and he will be much better.

Actually quite often in 2014. Most passes to smelter on 3rd down.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Check 1:40 in this video. TM cannot make that pass and it isn’t THAT difficult of a pass to make. It’s also a necessary one on 3rd and long.

Our passing game needs to be more than deep lobs. You need medium passing too. That’s why 2014 was unstoppable. We could convert 3rd and long. We can’t effectively do it with TM.