#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Wow, well that was fun. That was two bad teams playing an incredibly mistake filled game. I know this sounds stupid, but it feels much more like we just didn’t lose than it feels like we won.

The good - Gibbs is an absolute animal. I hope his hammy heals up quickly. Simms needs to run more. He was so explosive in the second half. 8 XPs in one game?!?!

The bad - Sims is still turnover prone. He hold the ball way too long in the pocket and has a really tough time with the mesh on read options. I’d like to see him scramble more when nothing is there on passing plays. Our defense is just not very good...period. It’s been a clear regression from last year. In general our offense seems like feast or famine. We don’t sustain drives for scores...instead we struggle and then have a huge play. Tough to rely on that for consistency...but much better than last year.

The ugly - Kicking aside, special teams mistakes were there again. Muff punt at the five? Why even try to catch it? Catching the ball on the sidelines on a kickoff!?!? Coaches clearly need to spend more time covering these scenarios. Finally, the penalties are just flat out pathetic...especially the false starts. No excuse for that

Nitpicking I guess since we won. I’m happy. I like winning. But, I doubt we win again if that’s what we put together in any of our next three games.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Poor Nate has a high rate of boffing kick returns. Should probably swap him for now. Those types of issues can cost games. Not only did it give them 7 points, but we lost a drive - if we average 3 points per drive, that’s a 10 point swing on 1 play.
Not sure how we lost a drive. No time went off the clock and we had the ball further up the field than we would have. It was horrible for sure, just not following the logic

Deleted member 2897

Not sure how we lost a drive. No time went off the clock and we had the ball further up the field than we would have. It was horrible for sure, just not following the logic

He fumbled the ball into the end zone, Duke fell on it, and got a touchdown.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Also our box score looks an familiar

48 rushes for 377 yards 4 tds nearly 3 100 yeard rushers with mason getting 21 carries.

completing a little over 50 percent of throws with 3 TDs and 146 yards (meaning shot plays from inside the 40 because the running game was getting us there/turnovers).

similiar game numbers

Interesting that you brought up this game because we lined up in the diamond formation at least once.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Also: Collins hated the called blitz on the 1yd line that caused the sack/TD. Said he absolutely hated the call and was screaming on the headset to Thacker “What the hell are you doing Thack?!?”
Then he changed his mind when he saw the sack he said lmao. Pretty cool thing to own up to and give the DC credit.
I'm still not sold on Thacker, but maybe it would help Coach Thacker if CGC would leave the defense to him to coach. And yes I know some of y'all will say he was a great defensive coordinator at Miss state and UF , but b** L**** was coach of the year the year before he came to Tech and how did that work out.
So CGC needs to be the Head coach and lets see if coach Thacker can be our defensive coordinator we need him to be at Tech. Maybe we would be surprised that he is good,

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
He fumbled the ball into the end zone, Duke fell on it, and got a touchdown.
Yeah got that part. The end result is that we still had the ball with roughly the same amount of time further up field, but Duke had 7 more points. We didn’t lose any drives.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is the sort of thing that’s stupid. Smith did not make the right call fielding that ball on the kick. If Collins truly feels that way and is coaching our players to do that then we are going to continue to make dumb mistakes for 7 years or until he gets fired.

Our coach does this crap of not trying to tear a guy apart after a mistake. Fine, but you can also just say, “look, he’s a freshman and made a mistake. We practice these things and will discuss it internally to correct.” That’s not tearing a guy apart. Instead he says this stuff and sounds like an idiot. Then it happens again and again throughout the year with player and coaching mistakes...and you start to wonder...is this guy putting on a show to protect his staff and players, or is he just stupid?

1606656377070.png

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
These thread be way shorter when the team wins then when they lose. It’s almost like “fans” enjoy losing more.
Losing results in more excuses when the team wins we are all united in joy. Strangely when you win in the trenches and all you have to do is call inside zone left inside zone right, outside zone when they crash and play action to keep them honest you look like a genius.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Stand on the 10 and if the ball is over your head let it go. Can even fake a fair catch to slow the pursuit. Never should field a kick that is going out of bounds and would be put on the 35. Was a 30 yard mistake and bad field position. Those kinds of mistakes are not made by the top teams. At least extra point kicks were much improved. Run defense was pretty darn good last night. We have some very good backs and Sims is a dangerous runner. Run blocking was good especially off the right side. Happy for the win. Those mistakes would be hard to swallow with a loss.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Stand on the 10 and if the ball is over your head let it go. Can even fake a fair catch to slow the pursuit. Never should field a kick that is going out of bounds and would be put on the 35. Was a 30 yard mistake and bad field position. Those kinds of mistakes are not made by the top teams. At least extra point kicks were much improved. Run defense was pretty darn good last night. We have some very good backs and Sims is a dangerous runner. Run blocking was good especially off the right side. Happy for the win. Those mistakes would be hard to swallow with a loss.
Easy there. Coach said fielding the sideline kick wasn’t a mistake. Which begs the question...did we make mistakes on the two subsequent kicks that he let go out of bounds?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Easy there. Coach said fielding the sideline kick wasn’t a mistake. Which begs the question...did we make mistakes on the two subsequent kicks that he let go out of bounds?
You cannot be nit picking a coach defending his player on a microphone this much.

Sit down and think about WHO he wants to hear that message. It’s not you; he could care less about what you think he should be saying.

(Hypothetical) I’m a 17 year old kick returner in high school who has made the same mistake yet here I am with a Georgia Tech offer sitting in front of me... you may not like it, but you have to think about the things he says in this manner.

His words are strategically thought out. Don’t harp on it too much.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
You cannot be nit picking a coach defending his player on a microphone this much.

Sit down and think about WHO he wants to hear that message. It’s not you; he could care less about what you think he should be saying.

(Hypothetical) I’m a 17 year old kick returner in high school who has made the same mistake yet here I am with a Georgia Tech offer sitting in front of me... you may not like it, but you have to think about the things he says in this manner.

His words are strategically thought out. Don’t harp on it too much.
Agree +++

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This is the sort of thing that’s stupid. Smith did not make the right call fielding that ball on the kick. If Collins truly feels that way and is coaching our players to do that then we are going to continue to make dumb mistakes for 7 years or until he gets fired.

Our coach does this crap of not trying to tear a guy apart after a mistake. Fine, but you can also just say, “look, he’s a freshman and made a mistake. We practice these things and will discuss it internally to correct.” That’s not tearing a guy apart. Instead he says this stuff and sounds like an idiot. Then it happens again and again throughout the year with player and coaching mistakes...and you start to wonder...is this guy putting on a show to protect his staff and players, or is he just stupid?

View attachment 9515
I think he’s saying that it’s a good play to catch the ball while already out of bounds (i.e., generate a “kick out of bounds” penalty), so that GT gets the ball at the 35. If so, I agree with CGC and it would be the opposite takeaway from what you are suggesting.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck

View attachment 9515
Donate Smith 100% made the right decision. He just executed it poorly.