#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Before I say anything else, really glad for team and coaches that we got this one put in the win column.

Pros - our RB's, including our QB, doing some work. Some of the O line played well tonight. Curry had an absolutely great game. Domineck did as well. Kickoff coverage was mainly good.

Cons - WAY too many penalties. 3 turnovers is too much. 2 extremely boneheaded ST plays in the first half. AND, what happened to Harvin? Was he hurt in any of the "fun" activities? Or, was it something else?

Anyway, props to CDP on a good game. We are still mainly a running team, and those yards on the ground felt good.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Also our box score looks an familiar

48 rushes for 377 yards 4 tds nearly 3 100 yeard rushers with mason getting 21 carries.

completing a little over 50 percent of throws with 3 TDs and 146 yards (meaning shot plays from inside the 40 because the running game was getting us there/turnovers).

similiar game numbers

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
On a side note, I wonder if this is basically the end for Cutcliffe. Even if he doesn't get fired does he really want to put in the work to try and turn that ship around at his age?
If he gets fired, I want him at GT coaching the passing game. Duke’s passing game was a thing of beauty, except their receivers could not catch the ball.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Dontae Smith is explosive, he’s got to get more touches somehow.
Gibbs is a monster. The entire running backs room is tremendous.
JP is a Beast.

The DLine played well overall. The DE’s played well especially Dominick. Curry had a good game. The secondary played its best game all year. I thought they played very well.

Still not a disciplined team and I hope to see this team really tighten up in that area. Just being fundamentally sound and disciplined would have yielded this team at least two more wins.

Deleted member 2897

This game was a reminder to the dip****s in the ACC media to always pick Duke to finish last until they prove you wrong. This will be the 14th year in the last 26 that they finish last. They predicted us to go 0-11. They can now all proceed to drop their pants, bend over, and stuff it like a Thanksgiving Turkey.

Deleted member 2897

Crazy first half, “bowl rust” was pretty evident. Most of our mistakes seemed to be flukes and mental mistakes, while Duke’s turnovers were mostly flukes.

Again our secondary is just getting torched, I hope we can build on that over the end of this season and before the next.

Still love to see the W, great play all around! Hope Gibb’s injury isn’t serious

Poor Nate has a high rate of boffing kick returns. Should probably swap him for now. Those types of issues can cost games. Not only did it give them 7 points, but we lost a drive - if we average 3 points per drive, that’s a 10 point swing on 1 play.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Very happy to see the win. RB group is so talented and deep. Sims looked solid overall. Some to be expected freshmen mistakes. I think having CDP on the field probably helped him throughout the game.

As much as I’d like to think the first half was all rust —- there were some absolutely boneheaded plays made that should not happen at the D1 level. Hope to continue to see things get cleaned up, and more efforts like we saw in the 2nd half!

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Poor Nate has a high rate of boffing kick returns. Should probably swap him for now. Those types of issues can cost games. Not only did it give them 7 points, but we lost a drive - if we average 3 points per drive, that’s a 10 point swing on 1 play.
Blancato seems to be safer back there kind of like Brad Stewart. Until Nate gets his confidence back and learns not to field punts inside the 10, we should stick with Blancato.