#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

slugboy

Staff member
Can anyone explain why that kickoff where Duke's receiver didn't call a fair catch, waited, called one, picked up the ball at the 2, ran and got tackled in the endzone, wasn't a safety? Are safeties not allowed during kickoffs?
Refs said we knocked the Duke player into the end zone, and that he didn’t go in on his own.
Questionable call, but that’s not getting overturned.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hope Gibbs is ok. Hammys are tricky so hoping hes not done for the year. Good to see the W. Funny if we lost this would be a 20 page thread.
with 3 wins I would not risk this year unless he is 100% , I believe he is the type of player who would want to play but the safe bet is let him sit out it's not like we are hurting at running back.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just checking to see if I was too drunk last night or if anyone agrees with me.
As for the OL I did think are run blocking was better but I also thought our pass blocking was poor. And without seeing the game again sober maybe it was only 1 or 2 lineman that kept getting beat. Just seeing what Y'all think I hate the idea of watching the game sober

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't find the Cutcliffe presser but found a write-up:
The Chronicle: Turnover troubles plague Duke football in bizarre loss to Georgia Tech
“We’re pretty depleted physically at a lot of positions, so I made some decisions not go live tackling, not scrimmage any over that long layoff," head coach David Cutcliffe said. "I just didn’t think we could, and so we didn’t. We practiced well, but I think when you get into finishing sacks, finishing drives, finishing runs, finishing catches, finishing coverages and finishing tackles. What gets you better is going it; playing games.”
On multiple occasions, Georgia Tech found itself in sticky situations on third down, though Duke could never seem to flip the switch and force punts. Many of Sims' 108 rushing yards on the night helped the Yellow Jackets convert on 9-of-14 third down attempts, eluding Blue Devil defenders to scramble for long conversions.

“We were definitely trying to limit his ability [to scramble], especially in the read option and things that they like to do," Carter said on the gameplan for Sims. "Just keeping the defensive ends there and trying to force him to give up the ball.”

with 3 wins I would not risk this year unless he is 100% , I believe he is the type of player who would want to play but the safe bet is let him sit out it's not like we are hurting at running back.
The Law Firm of Mason, Smith, & Griffin will serve us well at RB in Gibbs' absence, I hope Griffin will be back soon, but Mason & Smith should be OK

Things happen fast at some positions, we go from 4 guys that can Start to 2 Guys and hoping for no more injuries

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is the sort of thing that’s stupid. Smith did not make the right call fielding that ball on the kick. If Collins truly feels that way and is coaching our players to do that then we are going to continue to make dumb mistakes for 7 years or until he gets fired.

Our coach does this crap of not trying to tear a guy apart after a mistake. Fine, but you can also just say, “look, he’s a freshman and made a mistake. We practice these things and will discuss it internally to correct.” That’s not tearing a guy apart. Instead he says this stuff and sounds like an idiot. Then it happens again and again throughout the year with player and coaching mistakes...and you start to wonder...is this guy putting on a show to protect his staff and players, or is he just stupid?
Did CGC really say that Dontae made the right decision in Trg to filed that ball going out of bounds at the four yard line? Obvoiusly you let the ball go out to get it on the. 35. What
I think he’s saying that it’s a good play to catch the ball while already out of bounds (i.e., generate a “kick out of bounds” penalty), so that GT gets the ball at the 35. If so, I agree with CGC and it would be the opposite takeaway from what you are suggesting.
The correct decision is obviously to let the ball go out of bounds and take it on the 35. You never try to field that ball when it is going out of bounds. Those kinds of statements to try to support his players at all costs when they make a mental mistake makes him lose credibility as a coach.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just checking to see if I was too drunk last night or if anyone agrees with me.
As for the OL I did think are run blocking was better but I also thought our pass blocking was poor. And without seeing the game again sober maybe it was only 1 or 2 lineman that kept getting beat. Just seeing what Y'all think I hate the idea of watching the game sober
Duke has a good pair of defensive ends. Rumph has been projected as a 1st-3rd round NFL draft pick.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The correct decision is obviously to let the ball go out of bounds and take it on the 35. You never try to field that ball when it is going out of bounds. Those kinds of statements to try to support his players at all costs when they make a mental mistake makes him lose credibility as a coach.
No. Smith made the correct decision, he just didn’t execute it like he should have. Fielding that ball while standing out of bounds results in a “kick out of bounds” and Tech gets the ball at the 35. If he doesn’t field it you might end up in a situation where the ball rolls around to the 1 yard line and stays in bounds like Duke had after the free kick from the safety.

Smith didn’t make a mental mistake, he made a physical one.

Deleted member 2897

Yeah got that part. The end result is that we still had the ball with roughly the same amount of time further up field, but Duke had 7 more points. We didn’t lose any drives.

LOL, we were receiving a kick to start a drive and lost the drive LOL.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Can anyone explain why that kickoff where Duke's receiver didn't call a fair catch, waited, called one, picked up the ball at the 2, ran and got tackled in the endzone, wasn't a safety? Are safeties not allowed during kickoffs?
I think the referee’s reasoning was that it was a live ball, the runner was hit on the one yard line, and had forward progress as he was knocked back into the end zone. But if that was it, it still makes no sense to me.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen some negative negative comments about David Curry on here from time to time. I saw last night where he caused an interception by tipping the pass and a fumble by knocking the ball out of the runner’s hands. He did not get line score credit for either but caused both. He is undersized but plays extremely hard.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
While I am cognizant of the bizarre reality that exists this season, I hope we can cool it with the fire Collins rhetoric. It was Duke, not Miami or UNC, but the win last night was a clear message that Collins still has the trust of the players and that performance showed progress toward being a meaningful program again. Jeff Sims is the QB and David Curry played his tail off. We have NC State, Pitt, and Miami (maybe) just ahead and a chance at a winning season. Thanks to the players and coaches all!
I know it was just Duke but before our win last night Duke had won five of six against us.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The positive is at least we played pretty pretty clean in the 2nd half. That was laughably bad from both sides that first half. Really nice to see all those XP's go through as well.

Malachi Carter has really become a very solid receiver this year. Can go up and get it but is also learning to do a lot of the little things like bailing his QB out on break downs.

Obviously Gibbs and Mason are studs but I'd be fully conformable starting any of our top 5 RB's if necessary. That kind of depth will go a long way if we can sustain it (and improve depth at OL).

Still think we could've very easily have lost that game if Duke played clean. We cleaned it up the 2nd half and they did not. No matter how ****ty Duke is this year, I'm just glad I can at least say **** Duke again.

Modern Coaching has changed the Technique on that play, in order to guard against the ball hitting and bouncing "sideways" away from the sideline, Players-KO Returners are taught to straddle the sidelines with 1 foot out of bounds and then catch the ball- when you do that the Ref throws the Flag and you get the Penalty - CGC said in his post-Game presser that Smith was inches from getting the foot down before catching the ball - if that ball is high enough and bounds sideways away from the sideline it is a live ball - catching while straddling the sideline creates the least risk for the KO return team

Our guys are being Coached correctly, but for some reason the Guys that don't have to take Calculus at places like Bama rarely forget what they were taught when they get in front of the Bright TV Lights on Gameday, while our Guys seem to forget what their Coaching taught them

Once again and for maybe the 100th Time, there is no such thing as "genius coaching", Talented Players simply make fewer mental Errors under the pressure of Game Situations

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No matter how ****ty Duke is this year, I'm just glad I can at least say **** Duke again.
I've been consistent....been saying that ever since they beat us at HC while I was at GT, when losing to Duke was much more socially unacceptable than what it has become over the last 8 or so years.. That game was a disaster and I was such a boor that I never got a second date with a really nice Emory coed. OTOH, if she can sit through a Tech loss and take it in stride like it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life, I don't think that relationship would have survived. I don't like shallow people anyways. The woman I married, a Uga girl and from a Uga famiily, has been converted and she at least pretends like she cares about it!