Duke

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
9-6 win
I made it to about the 7th inning before sleep took over last night. Nice waking up to find out we beat a top 10 team & series ripe to be won now.

Ga Tech is (currently) in sole possession of 8th place in the ACC.

Can still finish anywhere from 7th-12th.

Likewise, I went to sleep in the 6th probably and checked in the middle of the night. Really nice win.

Duke really roughed up X; 5 ER in 6 innings that took 102 pitches (70% strikes). While he gave up only 6 hits and 1 walk, three of the hits were HRs. Glad he got the run support.

Archer is our best reliever now. Glad he's coming back next year. 3 IP, 1 hit but 3 walks. That one hit was a HR. Archer overcame 2 errors. arrgghhh. Only 62% strikes. With 50 pitches, I don't think we see him again against Duke. I'd rest him up now for the ACC Tourney.

Duke was not sharp at all. 4 errors. In the 6th, Bailey singles. Then goes to 2nd and 3rd on wild pitches. Then Murray gets on via an error and Bailey scores. Thank you!!!

While we burned Archer, Duke burned 1 1/2 of their relievers. Stinson (2.38 ERA) with 59 pitches and Dockman (1.19 ERA!!) with 14 pitches.

Need a quick complete game from CT today or tomorrow. May have another rain delay ..... 50% solid chance of rain this evening.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
9-6 win

Likewise, I went to sleep in the 6th probably and checked in the middle of the night. Really nice win.

Duke really roughed up X; 5 ER in 6 innings that took 102 pitches (70% strikes). While he gave up only 6 hits and 1 walk, three of the hits were HRs. Glad he got the run support.

Archer is our best reliever now. Glad he's coming back next year. 3 IP, 1 hit but 3 walks. That one hit was a HR. Archer overcame 2 errors. arrgghhh. Only 62% strikes. With 50 pitches, I don't think we see him again against Duke. I'd rest him up now for the ACC Tourney.

Duke was not sharp at all. 4 errors. In the 6th, Bailey singles. Then goes to 2nd and 3rd on wild pitches. Then Murray gets on via an error and Bailey scores. Thank you!!!

While we burned Archer, Duke burned 1 1/2 of their relievers. Stinson (2.38 ERA) with 59 pitches and Dockman (1.19 ERA!!) with 14 pitches.

Need a quick complete game from CT today or tomorrow. May have another rain delay ..... 50% solid chance of rain this evening.
At least Carpenter is still available.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This was a really nice win for Ga Tech. They got down early (3-0). Managed to get key hits (some extra base hits... hits with 2-out and RISP) and score 9 runs by night's end. It seems like a very long time since the offense has put together a game like this. So... early deficit... one BIG inning and some "needed" insurance type innings later. Made it look easy... but as we've seen throughout the last half of the year... for some reason it is not easy.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I went to the game but left a little after 9pm. Listened to the game at home on podcast and went to bed at 1am. 2nd game this week with late hours. I I think this is the latest a gt baseball game has finished. GT Announcers were very entertainingg after midnight. . Duke is very talented , but we hung in and have a very nice win! Couple of scouts were there to see Bart and several Duke players. Left my umbrella and visor. Going to 4pm to day to watch Thomas pitch plus bailey and Bart in their last two home games. Rest of the team is young. Hope most return for next year.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
This was a really nice win for Ga Tech. They got down early (3-0). Managed to get key hits (some extra base hits... hits with 2-out and RISP) and score 9 runs by night's end. It seems like a very long time since the offense has put together a game like this. So... early deficit... one BIG inning and some "needed" insurance type innings later. Made it look easy... but as we've seen throughout the last half of the year... for some reason it is not easy.
I don't recall us coming back from a 3 run deficit all year? How about yall. Good sign. Heard that coming into the game (or maybe after the first one) X had given up 15 HRs on the year. That's a lot. Jim Pool(e)? had really insightful commentary on the part of the game i listened to.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don't recall us coming back from a 3 run deficit all year? How about yall. Good sign. Heard that coming into the game (or maybe after the first one) X had given up 15 HRs on the year. That's a lot. Jim Pool(e)? had really insightful commentary on the part of the game i listened to.
My simplistic view of X is that he throws a very hard fastball (and not much else). When a pitcher does that it usually results in strike outs and home runs. X gets lots of both.

If he ever develops a really good second and third pitch...he'll be impossible. But it doesn't look to me like he as done that yet.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My simplistic view of X is that he throws a very hard fastball (and not much else). When a pitcher does that it usually results in strike outs and home runs. X gets lots of both.

If he ever develops a really good second and third pitch...he'll be impossible. But it doesn't look to me like he as done that yet.
I agree with this. I'll add a couple of things.

First of all, CDH mentioned that X was tipping pitches against UVA when pitching from the stretch. It was in the context of adjustments needed coming off a loss to UVA and preparing for Duke. I'd guess if he did it against UVA and from the stretch... it is possible he's done it off and on all year and not just from the stretch and some of the better teams/batters have picked up on it.

Secondly... and this is going to sound like complaining about the #1 improvement for this team over 2017. Ga Tech is ranked #30 in the NCAA in BB allowed per 9IPs. In contrast, #190 in Hits per 9IPs. That's a little out of whack. Early in the season listening to interviews, I heard several players and coaches say it was a point of emphasis to throw strikes and get an out within the 1st 3 pitches of an AB. Frankly...this allows for teams to be sitting early in the count on what will likely be a strike and probably a fastball for a strike. Curry is an outstanding pitcher; but as @MWBATL said until he develops other pitches besides his great fastball... when he misses in the zone, good hitters will usually hit it very hard. BTW... Curry's 8 wins has him tied for most in the ACC and 31st in the NCAA. That's appropriate because he plays like a "winner" the way he battles.

As an aside.. this is make what Connor Thomas has done even more impressive... because his high percentage of strikes are almost ALL "good" (not down the middle) strikes and can be any of 3 pitches he throws. When hitters are guessing (and they usually are with CT), Thomas is at a huge advantage.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. I'll add a couple of things.

First of all, CDH mentioned that X was tipping pitches against UVA when pitching from the stretch. It was in the context of adjustments needed coming off a loss to UVA and preparing for Duke. I'd guess if he did it against UVA and from the stretch... it is possible he's done it off and on all year and not just from the stretch and some of the better teams/batters have picked up on it.

Secondly... and this is going to sound like complaining about the #1 improvement for this team over 2017. Ga Tech is ranked #30 in the NCAA in BB allowed per 9IPs. In contrast, #190 in Hits per 9IPs. That's a little out of whack. Early in the season listening to interviews, I heard several players and coaches say it was a point of emphasis to throw strikes and get an out within the 1st 3 pitches of an AB. Frankly...this allows for teams to be sitting early in the count on what will likely be a strike and probably a fastball for a strike. Curry is an outstanding pitcher; but as @MWBATL said until he develops other pitches besides his great fastball... when he misses in the zone, good hitters will usually hit it very hard. BTW... Curry's 8 wins has him tied for most in the ACC and 31st in the NCAA. That's appropriate because he plays like a "winner" the way he battles.

As an aside.. this is make what Connor Thomas has done even more impressive... because his high percentage of strikes are almost ALL "good" (not down the middle) strikes and can be any of 3 pitches he throws. When hitters are guessing (and they usually are with CT), Thomas is at a huge advantage.
Well said and I agree 100% with @FredJacket!!

Deleted member 2897

10th seed ain’t bad - you get the 1/2/3 out of your round robin. I feel like with X and C a 2 game round robin gives us a chance against anybody though.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
CT obviously not sharp today. Duke has executed perfectly with 2 out hits in both the second and third innings to lead 3-0.

GT showing no clue at the plate. Looks dim for today.