Duke Series

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What a comeback. I can't help but feel like Compton is the underclassmen version of Parada/Jenkins. I hope we're seeing him batting around .500 next season as he takes the reigns!
I don't know if he'll be back next year. He is a Covid So. which means that he is in his 3rd year and draft eligible. He still has another year of leverage to play with though, so there is a good chance that he comes back if he doesn't get a good offer.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know if he'll be back next year. He is a Covid So. which means that he is in his 3rd year and draft eligible. He still has another year of leverage to play with though, so there is a good chance that he comes back if he doesn't get a good offer.
I forget that the class designations take COVID into account. But these kids played like 20 games in 2020. Hopefully he sees some value in another season of development. Regardless, it's been fun.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This team.... [fill in the blank]

...would be a fun game week to week and game to game... hell... OUT to OUT. I'm losing years off my life.

It's going to be hard to sleep after that. Caveman baseball at it's best. I thought we'd need 15 or 17 to win the way it was going.

1650680292828.png

Maxwell was great but at 53 pitches should be done for the weekend. But the bases loaded in the 10th was just for show? (tic) Crawford was good and at 14 pitches can go again. The rest ....... need to improve.

But this win was different. Don't want to jinx or hex, but it was superb.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
It's going to be hard to sleep after that. Caveman baseball at it's best. I thought we'd need 15 or 17 to win the way it was going.

View attachment 12369

Maxwell was great but at 53 pitches should be done for the weekend. But the bases loaded in the 10th was just for show? (tic) Crawford was good and at 14 pitches can go again. The rest ....... need to improve.

But this win was different. Don't want to jinx or hex, but it was superb.
Don't lose sight of the great job by Brown too. Helped the bullpen out quite a bit for the weekend by going 4 innings and keeping it close to come back.

Pitching will be interesting as always for the weekend but at least Duke burned their top bullpen guy as well. Need 3 or 4 from Medich tomorrow and then 5 or 6 from Grissom Sunday. Then hopefully Carwile, Finateri, Mannelly, Bartnicki, Crawford can cover those 8-10 other innings. Maybe Maxwell could give you 3 or 4 batters Sunday if you needed him in a tight spot?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Are we thinking Roedig is re-injured? Or, just never successfully came back from surgery.
He's been very hittable during mop up duty in weekday games even though he's throwing in the mid-90s. So, right now it's just looking like he hasn't successfully returned to form yet.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't lose sight of the great job by Brown too. Helped the bullpen out quite a bit for the weekend by going 4 innings and keeping it close to come back.

Pitching will be interesting as always for the weekend but at least Duke burned their top bullpen guy as well. Need 3 or 4 from Medich tomorrow and then 5 or 6 from Grissom Sunday. Then hopefully Carwile, Finateri, Mannelly, Bartnicki, Crawford can cover those 8-10 other innings. Maybe Maxwell could give you 3 or 4 batters Sunday if you needed him in a tight spot?

Listening to post game Maxwell wants to pitch again. But at 53 pitches at that high a velo, I don't think so. We need him as fresh as possible in postseason and no tweaks, the way things are going he could be called on a lot then.

A lot of good stuff here for those who didn't watch all 4+ hours (I watched another show for 2 hours in the middle) ...... https://ramblinwreck.com/compton-maxwell-send-jackets-to-walkoff-win/

But this is sick. I was hearing that Maxwell was at 101 on some pitches, and they were strikes. Dude had a 1.0 WHHIP and 5 K in 3.0.

And of course Compton:

And this was beautiful, small ball wins games too:

What they didn't have were some of the defensive plays. They had one of our 2 DPs. But there were two other plays where it came close to a DP. And there was the Compton play to end the 5th where he knocked a shot down and then threw out the runner. Since Duke had just perfectly executed a double steal to have runners on 2nd and 3rd, that was massive. The defense looked much better last night except for Parada. Duke successfully stole 5 times and Parada had two errors. He also took some real shots to the body and a fastball unimpeded to the mask. I'd never play catcher at this level.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
@GTNavyNuke , Did I get this right?

Compton is a "Covid" Sophomore (as is Maxwell, Jenkins, Reid, Tres, Giesler, Jadyn, Ben, Dalton, Josiah, Simpson & Borden) which is also the same "Sophomore" classification as (Jake, Anderson, Kevin, Marquis, Xander, and Dawson), they all have 2 more years of eligibility thanks to Covid Clog.
  • Covid Jr or Jr (next as a Senior) and Covid Sr (as graduate student or 5th year senior)....
  • True Soph will be True Jr next year as Juniors, and True Srs as Seniors...
Unless our roster page has it incorrect.....Finley graduated in 2019 with Maxwell and Jenkins, is a Junior in College like them but is classified as a "RS Freshman" using only 1 year of eligibility, 1 freebie with Covid, and is considered a "Freshman" with 3 more years of eligibility (due to his injury/surgery) like the incoming 2021 class and Prince, as a Transfer.
(To be honest, I have no idea how this RedShirt thing works or is given and definitely need to)
1650717031870.png

Crawford (RS), JoMan (RS), Huff, Luke and Cort are "Juniors" so they too have another year of eligibility thanks to Covid.

Hall, Cole, Medich Rubenstein, are the only "Seniors" listed and are done done (?) after this season.

I could have totally screwed this up, I defer to smarter people like @GTNavyNuke

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
And with 20 (or 21 if you count the football/baseball Felix) on deck for next season with the incoming 22's....going to be really tough to get down to 35 (which I think is BS, they need to keep it at 40 until covid clog is gone to be fair)
https://beesball.com/recruiting.html
We also have 4 verbals who haven't signed...
Cameron got TJ so he'll be a medical redshirt and there could be more.
Still ridiculous to force teams to 35 next season....
1650723505097.png

Nothing to focus on until AFTER the season and tournament, that's for sure.
Keep your eyes on the prize!!

LET'S GO JACKETS!!!!
1650724101588.png

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow

Compton is a "Covid" Sophomore (as is Maxwell, Jenkins, Reid, Tres, Giesler, Jadyn, Ben, Dalton, Josiah, Simpson & Borden) which is also the same "Sophomore" classification as (Jake, Anderson, Kevin, Marquis, Xander, and Dawson), they all have 2 more years of eligibility thanks to Covid Clog.
  • Covid Jr or Jr (next as a Senior) and Covid Sr (as graduate student or 5th year senior)....
Unless our roster page has it incorrect.....Finley graduated in 2019 with Maxwell and Jenkins, is a Junior in College like them but is classified as a "RS Freshman" using only 1 year of eligibility, 1 freebie with Covid, and is considered a "Freshman" with 3 more years of eligibility (due to his injury/surgery) like the incoming 2021 class and Prince, as a Transfer.
(To be honest, I have no idea how this RedShirt thing works or is given and definitely need to)
View attachment 12370

Crawford (RS), JoMan (RS), Huff, Luke and Cort are "Juniors" so they too have another year of eligibility thanks to Covid.

Hall, Cole, Medich Rubenstein, are the only "Seniors" listed and are done done (?) after this season.

I could have totally screwed this up, I defer to smarter people like @GTNavyNuke
Yes I think you got this right. Hall, McNamee, and Medich are the only guaranteed to be out of eligibility this year. I think Rubenstein had an injury last year that caused him to miss most of the year so he may be eligible for a medical redshirt if he wants it.

To simplify even more, I believe that out of our routine contributors, the only people who AREN'T draft eligible are all of the true freshmen from this year, plus Anderson and DeLeo. I believe I heard that Grissom's birthday makes him draft eligible this year even though he's only 2 years out of high school (like Parada) but I could be wrong.

Now with the draft only 20 rounds again, that certainly doesn't mean everyone eligible will be gone, but certainly the ability exists to have major offseason turnover.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

View attachment 12370

Here's what I have. The far right column has the Baseball Cube link for the player. Green in Year Draft Eligible column means they can go this year. And then Year Eligibility Remaining has how many years they can play after this year. Any corrections would be appreciated.

Wow game today, 0-0 going to B5. Medich absolutely dealing with only 55 pitches through 5, but we need runs. Is this GT baseball? Two DPs and some great defensive plays. Getting people on, just not getting the timely hit. 5 LOB after 4. Get some runs now since B5 we get to see a new pitcher.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Let's win the series tomorrow. Played good D and Medich pitched well - 2 er in 5.1.

But only scored in one inning and left 10 on. IIWII.
We continue the unfortunate trend of only being able to win games where we score double digit runs. An excellent start gets wasted by our bullpen effort last night.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We continue the unfortunate trend of only being able to win games where we score double digit runs. An excellent start gets wasted by our bullpen effort last night.

Agree with the facts. Help may be on the way for pitching. Wiley alluded to that in one of his broadcasts and he knows a lot of behind the scenes stuff (and is a straight shooter unlike some others). And I think it may be true for multiple reasons that I won't get into here.

At least the D was good yesterday. We need for that to improve especially to reduce the pressure on the pitchers. Nothing like a DP to wipe out a BB and keep the pitch count down. I'm seeing more assertive play and better play in the in-field. But I am biased.

Just win the series today!

ScGold

Banned
Agree with the facts. Help may be on the way for pitching. Wiley alluded to that in one of his broadcasts and he knows a lot of behind the scenes stuff (and is a straight shooter unlike some others). And I think it may be true for multiple reasons that I won't get into here.

At least the D was good yesterday. We need for that to improve especially to reduce the pressure on the pitchers. Nothing like a DP to wipe out a BB and keep the pitch count down. I'm seeing more assertive play and better play in the in-field. But I am biased.

Just win the series today!
The aspects of this team your asking for improvement have been the achilles heal of this program for a decade. Stop wishing for something that isn't going to happen. Lower ur expectations. Danny has.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The aspects of this team your asking for improvement have been the achilles heal of this program for a decade. Stop wishing for something that isn't going to happen. Lower ur expectations. Danny has.

I can't give up hoping and lower my expectations for baseball like I have for football. May is the month that matters for seeding. We have the pieces to make a run IMHO.

I don't think DH has given up, he brought in DBo and has changed how quickly pitchers are pulled. Our recruit Perfect Game pitcher rankings are higher than past years and if we don't see lower ERA results next year, then I too will give up. But not till then.

Going 0-10 in advancing in our last NCAA tourney series has tried that hope many times. I'm trying to remain a happy fool.