Duke Postgame

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I like CPJ but he does get paid 4 million a year to put our playes in a position to win using the talent they have and the ability to learn and execute the offense, and we cant be so vanilla they we handicap ourselves soooooo ...............hopefully we can find the right mixture....

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
A 53% FBS win percentage over the past 5 1/3 seasons is as bad as it seems. I hope things improve over the remaining 2/3 of this season, but I am not sure we have the talent to end up better than about .500 vs FBS--once again.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
A 53% FBS win percentage over the past 5 1/3 seasons is as bad as it seems. I hope things improve over the remaining 2/3 of this season, but I am not sure we have the talent to end up better than about .500 vs FBS--once again.
why do you consistently penalize Johnson for having success in his first 2 seasons? Lord knows if he did poorly that you would include those numbers in your ramblings.

If we had won a few more bowl games you'd probably make this stat about regular season games too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
But we're not the same team we were 5 yrs ago. Heck, we're not the same team we were 1 yr ago. We need guys who can execute, period. This offense doesn't come easy, it takes time for most. Throwing a bunch of noobs into the mix isn't how you pick up where you left off last year. I tried to tell guys this in the off season and all I got was smirks and insistence in a "plug and play offense." News Flash: IT AIN'T.

The biggest loss right now appears to be Shaq. And I'm not just talking about Shamire, but the two flanking spots have regressed with Shaq's departure and that's no coincidence, Shaq made them better.

The miscues and tentativeness of the skill positions compounds the OL issues. If we had all our skill guys back, do you think we'd still have lost to ND and Duke? I don't.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
But we're not the same team we were 5 yrs ago. Heck, we're not the same team we were 1 yr ago. We need guys who can execute, period. This offense doesn't come easy, it takes time for most. Throwing a bunch of noobs into the mix isn't how you pick up where you left off last year. I tried to tell guys this in the off season and all I got was smirks and insistence in a "plug and play offense." News Flash: IT AIN'T.

The biggest loss right now appears to be Shaq. And I'm not just talking about Shamire, but the two flanking spots have regressed with Shaq's departure and that's no coincidence, Shaq made them better.

The miscues and tentativeness of the skill positions compounds the OL issues. If we had all our skill guys back, do you think we'd still have lost to ND and Duke? I don't.

No one likes an "I told you so" :p
Was that too smarmy?? Fwiw....you were right:facepalm:
Here's to hoping it gets turned around quickly.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

We had all those experienced skill guys last year at this time when we struggled to get good production against Tulane, GS, and Duke. Admittedly, we were still much better last year against Duke, but we were much better this year against Tulane.

If we get the OL problems straight, we'll see what happens with the skill guys going forward (even down 4 A-backs from what we expected during summer camp and our best WR).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We had all those experienced skill guys last year at this time when we struggled to get good production against Tulane, GS, and Duke. Admittedly, we were still much better last year against Duke, but we were much better this year against Tulane.

If we get the OL problems straight, we'll see what happens with the skill guys going forward (even down 4 A-backs from what we expected during summer camp and our best WR).
Burden and Joe were both brand new starters coming off injuries. Braun became a starter in game 7 the previous yr. Chamberlain was coming off a horrendous year at RT and had just moved to LT. We also had a new starting QB. I'd hypothesize that our early season woes were more a product of these guys jelling than it was the experienced skill guys.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Burden and Joe were both brand new starters coming off injuries. Braun became a starter in game 7 the previous yr. Chamberlain was coming off a horrendous year at RT and had just moved to LT. We also had a new starting QB. I'd hypothesize that our early season woes were more a product of these guys jelling than it was the experienced skill guys.

Fwiw, Joe wasn't even a starter yet. If I understood CPJ right, it's been mental error with a lot of folk this year, and not just the expected from new guys. We'll see.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Where did the post game audio of cpj and all the players go? I saw the thread and heard the cpj one, but not the one of the players.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I am curious as to why you picked that interval specifically?

A big part of being a major college head coach is recruiting--I'd say it's the most important part. The first two years Johnson was playing with Gailey's talent, which is not a complete measure of Johnson's ability as a head coach. The first two years showed that Johnson the OC is very talented. The last 5 1/3 are a better measure of Johnson the head coach. By the 3rd year, the coach "owns" the program.

Bobby Ross is an example. His last 3 years are a much better measure of Ross as a head coach than his first 2 years.

Actually, 5 1/3 years is not an "interval". It is a continuous period from 2010 to present. An interval would be comparing years 3-6 of Johnson (and leaving out 7 and 8) with years 3-6 of Gailey, since Gailey was fired after year 6.

If you want an interval, years 3-6 were worse. Johnson's FBS record for the 3-6 year interval: 23-25. For a comparison: Gailey: 27-21. O'Leary: 34-14. And Johnson makes almost 3 times as much as the other two made.

If anyone has an agenda, it's the people who say "Johnson has won more games in his first X years than anyone else". He has also played more games. But even more, he has padded his GT win record with 9 FCS wins (in 8 years). No other GT coach has come close to playing that many FCS teams.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A big part of being a major college head coach is recruiting--I'd say it's the most important part. The first two years Johnson was playing with Gailey's talent, which is not a complete measure of Johnson's ability as a head coach. The first two years showed that Johnson the OC is very talented. The last 5 1/3 are a better measure of Johnson the head coach. By the 3rd year, the coach "owns" the program.

Bobby Ross is an example. His last 3 years are a much better measure of Ross as a head coach than his first 2 years.

Actually, 5 1/3 years is not an "interval". It is a continuous period from 2010 to present. An interval would be comparing years 3-6 of Johnson (and leaving out 7 and 8) with years 3-6 of Gailey, since Gailey was fired after year 6.

If you want an interval, years 3-6 were worse. Johnson's FBS record for the 3-6 year interval: 23-25. For a comparison: Gailey: 27-21. O'Leary: 34-14. And Johnson makes almost 3 times as much as the other two made.

If anyone has an agenda, it's the people who say "Johnson has won more games in his first X years than anyone else". He has also played more games. But even more, he has padded his GT win record with 9 FCS wins (in 8 years). No other GT coach has come close to playing that many FCS teams.
How many coaches in your list were 2 time ACC coach of the year winners? And leaving out his best year in your 3-6 yr interval is rich. Just because it's the same time frame doesn't mean all things are equal. Maybe it takes a little longer to get kids to buy into a system that the nation's media labels high school or antiquated. But once they do, a corner is turned.

This is offseason discussion anyways, can't believe I took the bait. Nice troll.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I learned was the team with the most points still wins . Need to get the blocking down fast. And we need to show up next week. I know no one likes unc but they do have a good offense.

UNC always has talent. They often don't do much with it but talent across the board is seldom, if ever, an issue with that bunch.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

I don't either because an 8 man front is like ringing the dinner bell for players like Waller and Smelter. They would have eaten ND and Duke alive.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
... he has padded his GT win record with 9 FCS wins (in 8 years). No other GT coach has come close to playing that many FCS teams.
Because Johnson is most surely the person making scheduling choices. I'm sure if he found a way to lose one of those games (I seem to recall more than a couple FBS teams losing these match ups), you'd have no problem counting them.

No fan wants to watch an FCS match up, but indicting Johnson for the number of FCS teams he has played seems pointless.