Duke Postgame

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
Paul Johnson is now 3 games over .500 against FBS teams for the last 5 1/3 seasons. Very mediocre.

Is that record worth $3 million a year?

CPJ is the head coach, and I understand that in the end, the blame for that record would be put on him. However, there is so much more to it than "CPJ is just over .500 against FBS teams, thus he is not a good coach for this school." Not trying to be rude, but it drives me crazy when people automatically think a head coach is bad when the team isn't having great success. Sometimes that really is the case, but I don't believe it is here. Paul Johnson could win at Navy. He rebuilt that program from the ground up, and it's still going strong with one of his disciples at the helm.

Take a look at our QB situation in past years, our struggles on defense, and the restrictions that were placed on the football program by the Hill (some of which were recently lifted in the past year or so). Our offense has always, for the most part, been one of the best in the country. Our defense has always been pretty terrible. Now this one time our defense is better than our offense. Johnson has shown he is an extremely good offensive coach, and I believe we have a great defensive coordinator in Roof. If this offense is fixable this year, which I believe it is, he will get it fixed. Watch out when we're clicking on both offense and defense.

So yes, I do think he is worth $3 million a year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that you can replace CPJ with the phrase "Georgia Tech" in the above quote. After CBR left, we have been good on only one side of the ball at a time. This includes CGOL, CCG, and CPJ. I am exclding one coach on purpose. Coach Ross understood that you win with all 3 phases of the game, as did Coach Bobby Dodd.

so you think that all those coaches don't get that, only ross did, and simply after 4 coaches and 20 years, that its as simple as they forget the other sides of the ball? come on man.

or do you think maybe...just maybe...our school/program is what it is....and we just have to deal with ups and mediocrity....because that is how our school is...in many facets. We are never deep. We can't get the top notch talent for many reasons blah blah blah

but I assure you, its not because last 20 years of coaches don't value all 3 sides of the ball. Oleary did like hell.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Does no one remember how much of a mess the team was last year at the beginning? Remember how shaky the D was at the beginning, team didn't have much character either. I have faith CPJ can get this worked out. Today just proved yet again that we arent ready to be with the big teams just yet. I think a lot of us had high hopes me included that we would come into the season to be that Top 25 team we were ranked. Obviously not.
Since when is Duke a BIG team?

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
so you think that all those coaches don't get that, only ross did, and simply after 4 coaches and 20 years, that its as simple as they forget the other sides of the ball? come on man.

or do you think maybe...just maybe...our school/program is what it is....and we just have to deal with ups and mediocrity....because that is how our school is...in many facets. We are never deep. We can't get the top notch talent for many reasons blah blah blah

but I assure you, its not because last 20 years of coaches don't value all 3 sides of the ball. Oleary did like hell.

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly. We occasionally have great years like last year, but that's never really been the norm at Tech.

Take a look at Ross's record at Tech:

Screen Shot 2015-09-26 at 9.29.14 PM.png

He had one extremely good year in which we won the title. The next year, we were 8-5. That's just how it goes.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Exactly. Exactly. We occasionally have great years like last year, but that's never really been the norm at Tech.

Take a look at Ross's record at Tech:

View attachment 1205

He had one extremely good year in which we won the title. The next year, we were 8-5. That's just how it goes.
You are right. It's not been the norm.
But it needs to bee the norm.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
But mostly the players imo.[/QUOTE]

Really, OK you are an OL you have a DL lined up in front of you and a LB in the gap behind him, at the snap of the ball they are both coming right at you ... which one do you block ... both ???

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Plain and simple the offense looks like a Chinese fire drill. We are blocking nobody!!! And this belly flopping we have resorted back to... No Bueno¡ Our 5 starters have regressed horribly. CPJ is not avoid of blame either. The past couple of games, opp. Defenses have been playing chess while we are still trying to differentiate btw the pawn and rook.

Of course, me being a defensive guy, I'm not giving the D a pass. I said it the prediction thread, Sirk cannot beat us with arm. Our doing a pretty lousy job scouting and putting a plan together imo. We should been loading the box making him think from kickoff. We better do the same next week or Elijah Hood will have a field day.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I was being fascetious, OK seven-plays ... AND I AM NOT A DAWG FAN, did you happen to see the family imagine on the avatar D***A** ?????????????????
It's facetious. And I never said you were a DAWG FAN. I said it was something a DAWG FAN would say. Calm down clown, we're all Tech fans. Our playbook is actually pretty extensive.