Duke Postgame

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
The quote was we ran a play 5 times before we blocked it right. He was talking about a trap play. We did not run a trap play five time in a row. Carry on.

Funny how you get people hearing different things to the same comment. But yes, you're absolutely right. Listened to it as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@33...Just gonna have to agree to disagree. From yalls take every win a team gets is due to the winning coach out scheming the competition. I just don't think it's as simple as that. And I'm honestly not willing to say Cutty didn't outscheme us...or their D cord anyway. Maybe he did. Kinda hard to say without looking at film a bit. But the scheme has had answers before to these same D schemes in the past. It seems a bit knee jerk to claim "outschemed" after a loss when a lot of other factors may have been more at play.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
paul is being outschemed on top of other things. If your guys are not prepared on gameday to execute our scheme, to the guess or direction of what you think the D will do...you are outschemed, outcoached as well.

Duke ran a super aggressive D front that we did not adjust to. So did ND. We didn't run our base plays well against. And we didn't have a counter that seemed to work. Part of this is simply poor play. Part of this is poor play due to not being prepared. Part is inexperience on the edges making paul call a more basice playset....And part of this is simply getting out coached/schemed. BTW, its 8 quarters of this. This is not new. its 2 straight games.

its not just being outschemed, which is your point for sure. But that is a part of it.

teams are selling out against the option run more than they ever have because 1 - they don't respect a spit our WR 2 - we haven't made them pay because we can't block and 3 - I think I am seeing a pure weakness in our scheme being exploited by poor play and good D scheme....so its all those things.

but damn when you watch the tape we should have torched duke through the air. We just didn't know how to block a blitzer.
Well said and sadly very true.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think we will get better, but so will the competition. The good thing about playing young guys is that they get a lot of reps which should payoff down the road.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Some stats that make you want to pull your hair out...

GA Tech had 316 Yards of Total Offense and Duke had 279 Yards of Total Offense.

GA Tech had 16 First Downs to Duke's 11 First Downs.

GA Tech had MORE Yards Rushing, AND More Yards Passing than Duke.

GA Tech had an advantage in the Time of Possession by holding the ball for 35:35 to Duke's 24:25.

GA Tech had 2 Turnovers, Duke had 3 Turnovers.

GA Tech had 1 Penalty for 5 Yards and Duke had 4 Penalties for 35 Yards. There was one "NO CALL" on one of our 4th Down plays at the end of the game where Duke's defender was CLEARLY offsides, and we were held that would have given us an automatic 1st Down. HUGE play of the game by the refs in my opinion. PJ should be PO'd.

GA Tech LOST the game by 14 POINTS.

I think it was obvious that Special Teams contributed directly to those 2 TD's (KO returned for a TD and a Punt Returned to our 1 Yard Line that was run in for another TD). We also snapped the ball over our Punter's head, who ended up throwing an Incomplete Pass (it should have been Intentional Grounding at the point he made the Pass and not brought back to the Original Line of Scrimmage).

It was also obvious that our Offensive Line was totally dominated and had they made a couple of key blocks along the way, we had a chance to make some key 1st Downs and Justin would have had more time to make some passes to open receivers rather than trying to throw under pressure, running for his life.

Bottom line is we had a chance to win the game late, down six, when we intercepted the ball with time to score if we made a drive. Our offensive line didn't do a very good job and Justin was blindsided and he fumbled, giving Duke the ball back with a chance to make their cushion score. Had our Special Teams play been decent BEFORE then, like not allowing the KO Return for the TD, we could have actually had the lead and PJ may have kicked a FG earlier instead of going for that 4th Down where Duke was Offsides and didn't get called, and if we went up by 4 instead of being down by 6, there's no telling how the Duke QB would have reacted as poorly as he was playing.
Yadda, yadda! here's thebottomline,we have a bad team and a head coach that needs to look himself in the mirror and say , "I'mpart of the problem, what can I do to improve my team". He doesn't think he's the problem!!

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
None of the above is an excuse for the crass and classless language you used. Grow up.

That never happened ball.
Cry me a river. It's a sports message board. Not my workplace. You grow up thinking you're holier than thou by bossing people around on a MESSAGE BOARD. Get outta here with that crap.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@33...Just gonna have to agree to disagree. From yalls take every win a team gets is due to the winning coach out scheming the competition. I just don't think it's as simple as that. And I'm honestly not willing to say Cutty didn't outscheme us...or their D cord anyway. Maybe he did. Kinda hard to say without looking at film a bit. But the scheme has had answers before to these same D schemes in the past. It seems a bit knee jerk to claim "outschemed" after a loss when a lot of other factors may have been more at play.

I dont see where i said it was solely due to being outschemed. Re read my post...... But it is part of it for sure

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Yadda, yadda! here's thebottomline,we have a bad team and a head coach that needs to look himself in the mirror and say , "I'mpart of the problem, what can I do to improve my team". He doesn't think he's the problem!!
Complete bull****. PJ always takes some of the blame for losing. Some of you guys just make up random crap.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
paul is being outschemed on top of other things. If your guys are not prepared on gameday to execute our scheme, to the guess or direction of what you think the D will do...you are outschemed, outcoached as well.

Duke ran a super aggressive D front that we did not adjust to. So did ND. We didn't run our base plays well against. And we didn't have a counter that seemed to work. Part of this is simply poor play. Part of this is poor play due to not being prepared. Part is inexperience on the edges making paul call a more basice playset....And part of this is simply getting out coached/schemed. BTW, its 8 quarters of this. This is not new. its 2 straight games.

its not just being outschemed, which is your point for sure. But that is a part of it.

teams are selling out against the option run more than they ever have because 1 - they don't respect a spit our WR 2 - we haven't made them pay because we can't block and 3 - I think I am seeing a pure weakness in our scheme being exploited by poor play and good D scheme....so its all those things.

but damn when you watch the tape we should have torched duke through the air. We just didn't know how to block a blitzer.
I agree with almost all of this, I really do. That said I want to add that I believe the teaching/scheme issues are not quite as bad as they seem. Two variables that I think are being understated (not by you personally, just in skimming thru threads):
  1. As I mentioned in chat prior to the game, Duke may have the best scheme of the remaining teams we play this year, outside of maybe VT. I'm basing my opinion off last year alone when Duke was more variable/prepared than most others on our schedule.
  2. The skill guys we're replacing goes far deeper than "we have some new freshmen who we need to teach". Injuries are significant right now. Think about this... not only did we replace all our skill players, we then lost our top WR and arguably our 4 best replacement A-Backs behind Snoddy - Andrews, Cottrell (destined to play pre-injury), Searcy, and TaQuon Marshall (who left early this game). We're literally talking about losing 2 strings of replacement players. Clinton Lynch was "just trying to get on the bus" according to CPJ a few weeks ago. He's now our 2nd best A-Back? He's stepping up in spots, so I don't want it to sound like I'm disparaging him, but ultimately coaches have been spending a significant amount of time teaching guys who aren't even available right now. This also gives defenses more reason to stack the box on our OL.
I think today was telling as to where we're at right now, don't get me wrong. But I'll be surprised if we don't look more coherent against UNC next week. Yea, our offense has set the bar low, but I'll give some credit to two defenses who have a basis for slowing us down too.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Some stats that make you want to pull your hair out...

GA Tech had 316 Yards of Total Offense and Duke had 279 Yards of Total Offense.

GA Tech had 16 First Downs to Duke's 11 First Downs.

GA Tech had MORE Yards Rushing, AND More Yards Passing than Duke.

GA Tech had an advantage in the Time of Possession by holding the ball for 35:35 to Duke's 24:25.

GA Tech had 2 Turnovers, Duke had 3 Turnovers.

GA Tech had 1 Penalty for 5 Yards and Duke had 4 Penalties for 35 Yards. There was one "NO CALL" on one of our 4th Down plays at the end of the game where Duke's defender was CLEARLY offsides, and we were held that would have given us an automatic 1st Down. HUGE play of the game by the refs in my opinion. PJ should be PO'd.

GA Tech LOST the game by 14 POINTS.

I think it was obvious that Special Teams contributed directly to those 2 TD's (KO returned for a TD and a Punt Returned to our 1 Yard Line that was run in for another TD). We also snapped the ball over our Punter's head, who ended up throwing an Incomplete Pass (it should have been Intentional Grounding at the point he made the Pass and not brought back to the Original Line of Scrimmage).

It was also obvious that our Offensive Line was totally dominated and had they made a couple of key blocks along the way, we had a chance to make some key 1st Downs and Justin would have had more time to make some passes to open receivers rather than trying to throw under pressure, running for his life.

Bottom line is we had a chance to win the game late, down six, when we intercepted the ball with time to score if we made a drive. Our offensive line didn't do a very good job and Justin was blindsided and he fumbled, giving Duke the ball back with a chance to make their cushion score. Had our Special Teams play been decent BEFORE then, like not allowing the KO Return for the TD, we could have actually had the lead and PJ may have kicked a FG earlier instead of going for that 4th Down where Duke was Offsides and didn't get called, and if we went up by 4 instead of being down by 6, there's no telling how the Duke QB would have reacted as poorly as he was playing.
Great post.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It would be super interesting if any of the people saying we should make adjustments would outline what adjustments we should make beyond let's run outside, or let's pass. Like, hey our guard matches up well on their linebacker, so let's run behind him, or something like that. Otherwise, quit griping.