Duke Postgame

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It can only be one of 2 things , Coaching or the Players, right now I'm going to say coaching.
Ok, it would be great if coaching could stop players from fumbling the ball. Unfortunately, it can't, especially against good Ds. Otherwise, it really is a matter of execution.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The sad part about it is that Coach Cutliff said at halftime that it "wasn't that hard" or words to that effect. Indeed, it is easy to flood the pitch lanes, disrupt the line blocking, and pinch down on the backside to get the quarterback IF there is no credible passing attack. No receiver who can repeatedly burn one on one coverage because to commit to an 8 man front leaves no one to cover the middle of the field provided that you can pass protect, get open and pass the ball.
Yes, that we aren't passing as well as we should does cause problems. I share your frustration with that. Not having Camp made a difference; they were doubling up on Stewart on every play where it looked like we were even thinking of throwing.

But this isn't why we lost. We lost because we put the ball on the ground on our side of the field for three straight possessions, two inside the red zone. And had some bad execution on 4th down plays in the first half. It wasn't so much their scheme - we got 78% of our usual total offense, they got 77% of theirs - as that we didn't execute as well. Part of that is because they are right good on D (13 total yards a game more then VT), but most of it is on us.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I keep listening to what CPJ has said after each time we lose. Understand I really do like him. But if you keep telling me we need to do a better job coaching and you keep saying the same thing I take it this way. Your not doing anything about the problem or you don't know what to do. If you are his boss what is your next step?

Ramblin741

Banned
Probably the kids who have busted their asses all year and some that are seniors wanting one more game. That’s who! But who cares right?Only fans matter.

Yeah, I’m sure the players will be stoked to be playing in Shreveport with a losing record guaranteed . They will come out flat as a pancake and could care less about winning if that’s the scenario.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Regarding 5-7 bowl appearances...I mean I’ll watch and cheer, but I’m not a huge fan of the everyone gets a trophy nonsense. I’d much more happy with a 6-6 scenario. However, IMO bowl games should require winning records. That used to be the case when 6-5 was the requirement. It ensured no one could lose a bowl and end the season with a losing record.

That said, our young guys sure could use the extra practice either way. Probably won’t matter though. I thought 4-8 after Clemson and I’m not sure I was that far off. I hope they prove me wrong.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I keep listening to what CPJ has said after each time we lose. Understand I really do like him. But if you keep telling me we need to do a better job coaching and you keep saying the same thing I take it this way. Your not doing anything about the problem or you don't know what to do. If you are his boss what is your next step?
He does say that a lot. Stansbury probably knows he's got a mess on his hands. Trying to raise funds with declining attendance, while the major money maker is going southbound.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He does say that a lot. Stansbury probably knows he's got a mess on his hands. Trying to raise funds with declining attendance, while the major money maker is going southbound.
Or you could try to get the guy you trust - you read Stans's memo, right - the resources he's been asking for for years and see what happens. That'll take awhile and more fans who are willing to pony up. I'm pretty sure that they are out there. I'm going to give what I can (not as much as I'd like) right after 6 November. Priorities.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Probably the kids who have busted their asses all year and some that are seniors wanting one more game. That’s who! But who cares right?Only fans matter.

Not sure about how enthused the kids will be about prolonging a season when they have missed all of their goals. If they are, then we probably recruiting the wrong kids.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
GT has advantages that other programs wish they had, even being a high academic technical institution. That’s actually a selling point in many ways.

I will agree that academics is a selling point to some of our recruits. However, I think that it eliminates many four and five stars from the mix. My reasoning is that if you are a four or five star, you probably have attainable and reasonable NFL aspirations so the NFL is probably high on the priority list, not academics. There are quite a few D-1 schools that offer a good, but not great, education while still giving them a shot at the next level. And let’s be honest, if you are a top-tier athlete, you want to play at a top-tier program where you’ll get plenty of exposure and playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is spot on. We have all heard the reasons (although the 6 posters who hate yhe option and/or CPJ call them excuses) why we aren't where we want to be. I get that we're all tired of losing, but firing CPJ won't change the underlying dynamics of football at GT. Make the commitments like Clemson and Duke (and just about everybody else we play) to hire more guys to help the coaches prep and recruit and then let's see what happens. It isn't an over night change. Butcliffe asked for/demanded more something like 7 years ago and look where they are. They have more majors and can hide kids yo keep them on APR track than we can, but they have some real athletes on that team.

CPJ knows how to coach and he knows multiple systems. He also knows what we have and what those guys can (and can't) do, so he has to work with what he has. We are down to BBacks #4 and #5 based on the recruiting plan. Mills was supposed to be here this year, Marshall was supposed to be here and Benson was supposed to be playing. They aren't and we're hurting in the position. Let Benson break a couple of those runs yesterday that our guys didn't and see how the game turns out.

A new coach won't be smarter, better or more accomplished, but he will be different and that seems to be enough for a lot of people at this point.

Edited to add: tried to include Takethepoints post above as my lead in working on a phone and apparently fat fingered the +quote.

Takethepoints takes the points for most sensible, level headed post game commentary. With an assist from AlphaBuzz.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
One thing I learned from Ralph Friedgen is that you create matchups with your offense that you can win. He liked coaching offense in college because the other team almost always had a defensive weakness that he could exploit (maybe not those powerful FSU defenses of the 90's).

Johnson is a genius at changing blocking schemes to create matchups, and it works a lot of the time. Still, as Cutcliff's comment points out, this offense has its limitations. The type of option attack Johnson employs can't suddenly become an effective passing offense, as Cutcliff is well aware. This limitation allows defenses to dictate the matchups they can win. That has happened more and more as other coaches and players see this offense year after year.

This offense is effective passing. With the right QBs. Duke dared us to throw more imo but we didn’t. Maybe WR are part of the problem too. I didn’t see many running loose Saturday

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ok, it would be great if coaching could stop players from fumbling the ball. Unfortunately, it can't, especially against good Ds. Otherwise, it really is a matter of execution.

- note - I agree 100% with @takethepoints

Do you mean that the coaching staff doesn't teach that we should fumble??? Should be obvious to all but obviously not. The fact is that we might still have lost the game without any of those fumbles, but we will never know. However many naysayers blame "coaching" is the problem. That might be part of the issue, but normally the real reason for mistakes/missed assignments is that someone is either
a) having a brain fart
b) trying to be the hero (includes repeatedly making wrong line calls, forcing a play)
c) got the **** knocked out of them (think fumble)
d) miscommunication
e) the other side is just beat you out on that paly

JMO

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Another "what if" scenario and Johnson mentioned it in his post game interview.

What if Tech scores on the first drive in the third quarter to go up by 7? After another call by our esteemed ACC officials, Tech started out with a long way to go. A nice run gets the ball out and in reasonable field position.

The defense played well enough in the first half and likely had enough confidence to carry over in the second.

Then the first of three turnovers ended up being the first of the nails in the coffin.

In my opinion, this was when the game changed. The defense came out shell shocked, and looked out of sorts the rest of the game.

Tech could not catch a break. And it seemed like from there on out, every bounce went Dukes way. Every replay, each no call.

Being down seemed to pressure on the kids, and they just did not get the mojo back.

Another comment.

The Duke defense had a player stepping into the offensive tackle's face pre-snap. And if I remember correctly, caused two illegal procedure calls and finally one offsides call. Silly stunts like this seems to give our oline fits. Johnson's comments were that Duke did what he expected them to do. Was this stunt part of his expectation? And if so, we did not handle it very well. That is on the coaches.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
- note - I agree 100% with @takethepoints

Do you mean that the coaching staff doesn't teach that we should fumble??? Should be obvious to all but obviously not. The fact is that we might still have lost the game without any of those fumbles, but we will never know. However many naysayers blame "coaching" is the problem. That might be part of the issue, but normally the real reason for mistakes/missed assignments is that someone is either
a) having a brain fart
b) trying to be the hero (includes repeatedly making wrong line calls, forcing a play)
c) got the **** knocked out of them (think fumble)
d) miscommunication
e) the other side is just beat you out on that paly

JMO

Some of y’all aint doing this right after a loss. There should be more emotion and heartache and less reason and logic.