Duke Postgame

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Another "what if" scenario and Johnson mentioned it in his post game interview.

What if Tech scores on the first drive in the third quarter to go up by 7? After another call by our esteemed ACC officials, Tech started out with a long way to go. A nice run gets the ball out and in reasonable field position.

The defense played well enough in the first half and likely had enough confidence to carry over in the second.

Then the first of three turnovers ended up being the first of the nails in the coffin.

In my opinion, this was when the game changed. The defense came out shell shocked, and looked out of sorts the rest of the game.

Tech could not catch a break. And it seemed like from there on out, every bounce went Dukes way. Every replay, each no call.

Being down seemed to pressure on the kids, and they just did not get the mojo back.

Another comment.

The Duke defense had a player stepping into the offensive tackle's face pre-snap. And if I remember correctly, caused two illegal procedure calls and finally one offsides call. Silly stunts like this seems to give our oline fits. Johnson's comments were that Duke did what he expected them to do. Was this stunt part of his expectation? And if so, we did not handle it very well. That is on the coaches.

We just seem to lack composure the last couple of years. I didn’t like the way we handled pre snap checks this week.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some of y’all aint doing this right after a loss. There should be more emotion and heartache and less reason and logic.

You know, you are right. We should b getting better and better on how to post after losses given all the practice afforded us over the last 3-4 years. For a supposedly smart group we should be extremely proficient by now.

GT_EE78

Banned
Nope. You don’t get to demand better wih shi—y fans. Are you under the impression that it’s a coincidence that the same teams that are really good every year also have the biggest stadiums with the most fans?
them dawg fans don't have anything better to do ( the ones not in prison or on parole), but you still got it totally bass-ackwards , cuz u gotta havee the winning history to get the fans and build the stadiums.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
"They completely sold out against the run..." Pretty much says it all. Wouldn't you do this if you were playing Tech?
Their base defense was MLB about 5 yards off the line and two other backers just off the ends. At times they had 8 or 9 in the box. If we dropped back to pass they just crashed in the gaps to apply pressure. They were in our backfield all day. Our line could not hold blocks. We just don't seem to have plays to punish that type of defensive pressure. We hit sort of a short screen pass to our B back once. Rocket toss had problems. We didn't have time to throw deep even with one on one to our WR because they got into the backfield so fast. We had a couple of completions that were close to being interceptions and into double coverage. I thonk TM is a little dinged and was definitely limping. He just didn't look as quick.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I keep listening to what CPJ has said after each time we lose. Understand I really do like him. But if you keep telling me we need to do a better job coaching and you keep saying the same thing I take it this way. Your not doing anything about the problem or you don't know what to do. If you are his boss what is your next step?
On the first play sewak had a weird line up.
Will Bryan on the program.
Marshall injured on bench due to injury.
WB on bench to start the game ( played a ton after early silliness ended)

Starters:
LEFT SIDE
r fr swinney at LT;
all conference braun at LG;
Long time starter Jr cooper at center ;
RIGHT SIDE
Soph hansen in 3rd start (other 2 against teams that were not experienced with our offense.
Next
R junior walkon who just won a scholarship at RT.

First play is a pass to left.
The right side lb has walked up.
On snap the right guard helps the center
and they double team one guy.

Also on the snap the lb blitzs .
Now the rt has to pick 2. he initially goes for lb, but realized no one had the d e so he goes for him and he got zero. The r g realizes his mistake and chases the de to the qb.

(At tech conference center I heard later from some one that would know qb played the whole game hurt.)

When RT came off later Coach chased him around yelling at him. The player that screwed up was the r g . What competent o line coach allows 2 rookies to block the qb s blind side? . Who was making the line calls to pick up the backside?

A bit later in game , here came WB and he did pretty well. On a long run by marshall WB was downfield making legal downfield holding pancake block on a defensive end. Lee played a lot as well.

The coastal knows our scheme.
Got to find a super w r and fast.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't want CPJ fired, but I don't care if he is. I hope he just resigns. He has had a great run and given us some big thrills. But I am done with this offense.
Well, its not the offense per se - because it can and does work - especially if our QB has any kind of passing skills - its what this offense does to our program and our ability to be a consistent winner..
But games aren't only won by the offense - its the rest of the game. The defense suffers from negative recruiting and in reality probably does suffer from not have a chance to practice against a legit passer. Special teams is ignored way more than it should be - and has cost us many games. CPJ does simply not give it enough of his attention.
And recruiting again - not that many kids want to play in it.
Those are the problems with the offense.
CPJ remaining here is causing a problem now and that has dampened enthusiasm for the program and is becoming a distraction.
The biggest thing is not Paul but more a problem with schools like GT. We can win and have a nice season but we cant' sustain it. KIds want to play for a winner that goes to big games. Too often we crap the bed.
Even CPJ - as well has he has done - only had his first two years having 2 Nine win (or above) seasons in a row.
Yes I know we haven't done that much since the 1950's but isn't that we want? We want to be a regular 9 game winner with the occasional 7 as the basement and a few 11+ seasons every few years.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Their base defense was MLB about 5 yards off the line and two other backers just off the ends. At times they had 8 or 9 in the box. If we dropped back to pass they just crashed in the gaps to apply pressure. They were in our backfield all day. Our line could not hold blocks. We just don't seem to have plays to punish that type of defensive pressure. We hit sort of a short screen pass to our B back once. Rocket toss had problems. We didn't have time to throw deep even with one on one to our WR because they got into the backfield so fast. We had a couple of completions that were close to being interceptions and into double coverage. I thonk TM is a little dinged and was definitely limping. He just didn't look as quick.

Ah, yes the "Taco Bell" defense made famous by Miami to shut down Oklahoma's rampaging wishbone in a long ago Orange Bowl. Old school, but still works when used correctly.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't want CPJ fired, but I don't care if he is. I hope he just resigns. He has had a great run and given us some big thrills. But I am done with this offense.
Well, its not the offense per se - because it can and does work - especially if our QB has any kind of passing skills - its what this offense does to our program and our ability to be a consistent winner..
But games aren't only won by the offense - its the rest of the game. The defense suffers from negative recruiting and in reality probably does suffer from not have a chance to practice against a legit passer. Special teams is ignored way more than it should be - and has cost us many games. CPJ does simply not give it enough of his attention.
And recruiting again - not that many kids want to play in it.
Those are the problems with the offense.
CPJ remaining here is causing a problem now and that has dampened enthusiasm for the program and is becoming a distraction.
The biggest thing is not Paul but more a problem with schools like GT. We can win and have a nice season but we cant' sustain it. KIds want to play for a winner that goes to big games. Too often we crap the bed.
Even CPJ - as well has he has done - only had his first two years having 2 Nine win (or above) seasons in a row.
Yes I know we haven't done that much since the 1950's but isn't that we want? We want to be a regular 9 game winner with the occasional 7 as the basement and a few 11+ seasons every few years.

Hey what’s your handle here? I think I’ve already forgotten it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yes, that we aren't passing as well as we should does cause problems. I share your frustration with that. Not having Camp made a difference; they were doubling up on Stewart on every play where it looked like we were even thinking of throwing.

But this isn't why we lost. We lost because we put the ball on the ground on our side of the field for three straight possessions, two inside the red zone. And had some bad execution on 4th down plays in the first half. It wasn't so much their scheme - we got 78% of our usual total offense, they got 77% of theirs - as that we didn't execute as well. Part of that is because they are right good on D (13 total yards a game more then VT), but most of it is on us.

Putting the ball on the ground, what was it? Six times and losing three will get just about anyone beat this side of Alabama. Even the Tide could not afford to do that if they were playing someone good. What made it worse was losing the ball on three straight possessions. Inexcusable.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Regarding 5-7 bowl appearances...I mean I’ll watch and cheer, but I’m not a huge fan of the everyone gets a trophy nonsense. I’d much more happy with a 6-6 scenario. However, IMO bowl games should require winning records. That used to be the case when 6-5 was the requirement. It ensured no one could lose a bowl and end the season with a losing record.

That said, our young guys sure could use the extra practice either way. Probably won’t matter though. I thought 4-8 after Clemson and I’m not sure I was that far off. I hope they prove me wrong.

When bowl games become ubiquitous to the point of rewarding mediocrity, it is apparent that there are way too many of the damn things.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Even the ones in the stands kinda suck honestly. The majority of the crowd never makes noise for the D. Maybe half the crowd will make a little on 3rd downs. But we have one of the worst crowds in p5 football and it’s been this way for quite awhile.

The lady in front of me literally sits all game long and with her fingers in her ears. The stands are a wasteland of fans that appear to be watching a match at Wimbledon.

Really creates an atmosphere 3 star recruits just can’t say no to.

"with her fingers in her ears" Surely, this is hyperbole on your part. Tell you what. Let me know what section you are in and I will go give her one of my hearing aids so she can get the full college football effect. Or I might recommend a typical Saturday night at Tiger Stadium with the usual well lubricated Cajun crowd in full throat cry sort of like what UGA experienced this past Saturday when they came to grief.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

There are ways to exploit overly aggressive defenses but it is apparent that these plays aren’t on CPJ’s play sheet. Wait...he doesn’t even have a play sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk