Duke Postgame

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If by some miracle a bowl game becomes possible, then i sure hope it doesn't have a blue field,

To be honest, I don't care if we play on the sand in Dubai.

I just want to see our program show signs of improvement...and a bowl game would be a sign of improvement. I'd also like to see some of our guys rewarded for choosing to play for GT.

GTFLETCH

Banned
How the heck are we supposed to find recruits nation wide and actually land them when our recruiting staff is capped at....4 with hopes of adding a couple more?

You think we can recruit Texas, Louisiana, California, the northeast, and Midwest with Twitter, instagram, and SnapChat maybe?
Who we going to beat??
VT
UNC
Miami
UVA
UGAg

We might be able to beat UNC, but we could lose like we did at USF or PITT ... but every other game would require an upset performance...

We have three wins and to go bowling we need three more... call me crazy but it looks like we will end with 3 or maybe 4 wins

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Who we going to beat??
VT
UNC
Miami
UVA
UGAg

We might be able to beat UNC, but we could lose like we did at USF or PITT ... but every other game would require an upset performance...

We have three wins and to go bowling we need three more... call me crazy but it looks like we will end with 3 or maybe 4 wins

VT, Miami, UVA, and ugag all have defenses that can shut our run game down and will require some key passing to win imo. UNC is one we can/should win.

RiseUpATL

Banned
VT, Miami, UVA, and ugag all have defenses that can shut our run game down and will require some key passing to win imo. UNC is one we can/should win.

Yeah...I honestly can’t see winning any of those games. UNC will be tough. They seem to be playing better as of late. They still aren’t very good, but neither are we. Tough sledding from here on out.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Who we going to beat??
VT
UNC
Miami
UVA
UGAg

I think we beat UNC and UVA and pray that we have the APR to get us into a bowl at 5-7.....

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
A lot of our problems yesterday were due to duke completely flooding the pitch lanes in the backfield and getting off blocks when we tried to pass. They have a scheme that has created problems for our O. Better coaching.

The sad part about it is that Coach Cutliff said at halftime that it "wasn't that hard" or words to that effect. Indeed, it is easy to flood the pitch lanes, disrupt the line blocking, and pinch down on the backside to get the quarterback IF there is no credible passing attack. No receiver who can repeatedly burn one on one coverage because to commit to an 8 man front leaves no one to cover the middle of the field provided that you can pass protect, get open and pass the ball.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate JeT, but he wasn’t THAT special.

We could easily be a one loss team with JT, no doubt in my mind. We definitely would have won yesterday. The passing game was open all day yesterday and coach had no confidence in TM’s arm. JT’s passing ability opens up the O and we win with the way our D was playing before the fumbles started.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this quote from Malachi Carter really says a lot:

"The difference I saw playing Duke’s defensive backs, they kind of kept their eyes inside a lot more watching for the run and more reacting towards the ball than at me and eyes on me manning me up. So it was a lot different. It was a little easier to run routes against them because they’re not thinking about us passing the ball first."

They completely sold out against the run and we were either unable, or unwilling, to burn them in the passing game.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

"The difference I saw playing Duke’s defensive backs, they kind of kept their eyes inside a lot more watching for the run and more reacting towards the ball than at me and eyes on me manning me up. So it was a lot different. It was a little easier to run routes against them because they’re not thinking about us passing the ball first."

They completely sold out against the run and we were either unable, or unwilling, to burn them in the passing game.

If I was the opposing DC that’s what I would do. I would make TQM best me throwing the ball. It feels like the last couple of years his mechanics start off well in the beginning of the year but by the middle to end he’s rushing too much.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, I don't care if we play on the sand in Dubai.

I just want to see our program show signs of improvement...and a bowl game would be a sign of improvement. I'd also like to see some of our guys rewarded for choosing to play for GT.

Unfortunately, a bowl game is out of the question based upon yesterday's performance. Any team with a decent defensive coordinator and a few good players can duplicate what Duke did. It is not that hard but you have to be willing to chuck conventional wisdom out the window when defensing the triple option. Virginia Tech, UGA, and Miami are all very capable of shutting down this offense. Virginia and UNC are question marks but if they will follow the Duke script they have the players to do so as well.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, a bowl game is out of the question based upon yesterday's performance. Any team with a decent defensive coordinator and a few good players can duplicate what Duke did. It is not that hard but you have to be willing to chuck conventional wisdom out the window when defensing the triple option. Virginia Tech, UGA, and Miami are all very capable of shutting down this offense. Virginia and UNC are question marks but if they will follow the Duke script they have the players to do so as well.
Jerry Palm of CBS Sports online predicted GT is going to play Indiana in the Quick Lane Bowl;):smuggrin:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

"They completely sold out against the run..." Pretty much says it all. Wouldn't you do this if you were playing Tech?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I believe teams have been doing this, effectively, for the last 2 seasons

Yes, but some teams like Louisville are not motivated, some teams like Bowling Green are not talented enough, and some teams are just not willing to commit to one on one coverage and filling the gaps quickly enough. Unless you are willing and able to sell out to stopping the run the triple option will kill half measures.