Duke Postgame

Deleted member 2897

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I think CPJ has "lost a step" in his play calling. Certain plays are just lost forever:

- WR reverse - surely that could have slowed some pursuit today
- Smoke route - WRs have a 10+ yard cushion at times. I have a hard time believing TQM can't complete that pass.
- A-Back drag routes - If TQM is struggling, give him something easy like Qua or Lynch on a drag.
- Fake Rocket Toss, inside A back counter
- QB sweep with pulling G and T to the weak side.

I am sure there are others, too. Smoke Route and WR Reverse would keep the corners and safeties at least a little honest. I think we have run one smoke route this year and no WR reverse since 2016 (maybe?). Why??

Duke came today and said “we’re playing the same defense again - what are you going to do about it?” And CPJ said “nothing”.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
For those that did not get to see the game, here are a few pictures of when our offense had the ball in the third quarter one was a kickoff return could have called a fair catch and got the ball on the 25 but that was not the case.

th
th
th

Deleted member 2897

Just listened to the post game interviews. Crazy. CPJ said Duke played exactly how they thought on defense, but KC was making contradictory line calls which lead to leaving people loose. I don’t know how long that went on before they caught it. But that is crazy. We know what’s coming, we call plays for it, then someone switches the block in scheme on the line. CPJ was hot about that. We can’t seem to get out of our own way.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The poor crowd for homecoming is a symptom of a disease. The disease being one of irrelevance and complacency. The acceptance of mediocrity in favor of supposed academic superiority and elitism. This is a program well on the way to becoming an afterthought like SMU, Tulane, Vanderbilt and Wake Forrest. Yes, it is that critical.
You’ve got it backwards. The commitment comes before the results. There’s no point in any further discussion until Tech fans make their peace with that, either accepting mediocre results and mediocre commitment, or putting out and then demanding more in return.

Milwaukee

Banned
Just listened to the post game interviews. Crazy. CPJ said Duke played exactly how they thought on defense, but KC was making contradictory line calls which lead to leaving people loose. I don’t know how long that went on before they caught it. But that is crazy. We know what’s coming, we call plays for it, then someone switches the block in scheme on the line. CPJ was hot about that. We can’t seem to get out of our own way.

I can't attest to the calls at the line, but I thought Cooper was pulled honestly because in the 1st 2 quarters I saw him running 12 yards downfield 3 or 4 times looking for someone to block and hadn't touched a soul, all the while the ball carrier was getting tackled a long way behind him (who knows what his assignment was on these plays, he could've been in the right for all I know). I thought that's why he was pulled, I wasn't aware of the calls at the line.

Deleted member 2897

You’ve got it backwards. The commitment comes before the results. There’s no point in any further discussion until Tech fans make their peace with that, either accepting mediocre results and mediocre commitment, or putting out and then demanding more in return.

Duke will never be a Clemson or Alabama. But their school decided years ago to make an investment. Duke made huge stadium renovations, and added so much staff that theirs is now the 3rd largest in the ACC. They’ll never win a national championship, but you can see what a difference those investments make after a few years of building over time. Having all those additional recruiting and coaching resources does matter.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
All of this is pretty much true and nice to acknowledge but the fact of the matter is that he will leave his successor with a much more difficult task than he faced following Chan. I have said it before and I will say it again, recruiting and player development are the two main issues with this football program. There is no excuse to have a major college program that consistently recruits in the bottom half of the ACC when there is a mother lode of talent in this state. Until that is changed, there is little point in discussing changing the coach because the successor will be staring at the same problems that have bedeviled Coach Johnson.

Were you at the game today? Did you see the homecoming crowd? Have you seen our crowds the last ten years? We might show well once a year (if we have a good night game) maybe. Otherwise we have a sparse crowd with pathetic excitement in the stands for our team regardless of how well it is or isn’t doing.

I don’t care who the head coach is. Until this changes recruiting will not improve in state.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll admit, I drank a little bit of the kool-ade after the last two games. I thought we had turned a corner on execution, were settling in. Against two weaker teams, but that is what we needed.

Defense seems to be improving, but on O, against better competition we can't seem to get out of our own way. Today more than ever it was obvious that without a threat of a passing game, we are stuck in the mud.

Going for it on 4th down multiple times early in the game is a symptom of what's wrong.
Getting arm tackled at the line when running up the middle...when did that start being the the norm for us?
Duke is a good team. We should be competitive with good teams. We are not. Better teams are left on the schedule.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree. I was on a flight today to San Antonio and talking football with my seat mate who is a Texas fan. He actually asked if Ga Tech was considering dropping down a division. I was stunned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmao. I’m nevee stunned at the dumb things big program fans say. UT might have a decent year this year. Last year and the year before and the year before....they were just as much a candidate for dropping down a division as anyone was.

I’d have told him that flat out.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Lmao. I’m nevee stunned at the dumb things big program fans say. UT might have a decent year this year. Last year and the year before and the year before....they were just as much a candidate for dropping down a division as anyone was.

I’d have told him that flat out.
I hope GT can get to 6-6 and after what i've seen today i think Tennessee can go 7-5. I still keep out hope that both GT and UT can go Bowling this season,you never know with the college football surprises that occur every season;)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Million $$$$ Question:

Do you think GT will get better results with CPJ even if we our program gets more $$$?

Here's the thing some don't want to admit: $$$ will not change the players CPJ will be able to recruit. GT already recruits nationally, a few more $$$ in the recruiting budget will not all of a sudden change Johnny 4/5 star's mind about CPJ. Kids come to school primarily to play for a coach, academics, and because they want to play a certain style (and possibly because a school has a soft serve ice cream machine...but that's another story). HS kids know by now what they are getting with CPJ and GT. CPJ can no longer sell kids on "opening up the offense". He played that card already, and scrapped it halfway into 2013.

I was looking back on our recruiting. CPJ's best recruiting years was early in his tenure at GT. He recruited in the 40's. His message was new, and kids had 2008 and 2009 fresh on their minds. Our best year, better than even 2009, was 2014. We didn't do much to capitalize on that, IMO, because kids knew CPJ's style and the message got old.

If kids come to a school because of a coach, academics, and playing style...and the coach no longer inspires recruits, and recruits don't want to play a particular style...well, academics better be one heck of a calling card. Well, GT is an elite education, and it's not easy. Recruits know it's not easy, so the coach and playing style better make up for it. Sure, there might be a kid or 2 like Parker or JeT, but for the most part kids want to play another style.

More $$$ will not help unless we change one of the 3 things we mentioned...but seeing as how GT can't change the academic part of it, you can do the math from there.

How the heck are we supposed to find recruits nation wide and actually land them when our recruiting staff is capped at....4 with hopes of adding a couple more?

You think we can recruit Texas, Louisiana, California, the northeast, and Midwest with Twitter, instagram, and SnapChat maybe?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
How the heck are we supposed to find recruits nation wide and actually land them when our recruiting staff is capped at....4 with hopes of adding a couple more?

You think we can recruit Texas, Louisiana, California, the northeast, and Midwest with Twitter, instagram, and SnapChat maybe?
Recruiting from this coaching staff leaves a whole hell of a lot to be desired;)