Duke Postgame

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Thoughts:

Tired of seeing guys try to extend plays that aren't there and subsequently fumbling. Just take what's there and get down. Both Taquon's and Thomas' fumbles were of this variety. Take what's there and get down.

KO coverage and return continue to kill us. KO Coverage gave Duke one of 4 short fields that ended in a Duke TD. Return gave us crappy field position and Duke the ball on our 5 yard line. Been going on forever and never gets fixed (except KO's by Butker).

Defense had some bright spots. 4th down stops and generating 3 turnovers. But receivers always seem to get behind us and it's a wonder we don't get burned more often. Also bowing up on one of those 4 short fields and holding Duke to 3, or even making a stop would have been nice. D played well enough to win if offense hadn't blown it IMO. That unit is continuing to develop.

Offense seemed like it moved the ball better in the second half but we never got to find out what would have happened if they didn't have fumblitis. Would have like to see what we could do with Lucas Johnson's arm vs Duke's young corners.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tough one. 3 straight fumbles, 3 straight TDs. Ballgame. We’re not good enough to make mistakes.

CPJ hasn’t forgotten how to coach. Some of you have forgotten some pretty dark periods of GT football, however. The amount of comparisons to CFB bottom-feeders is hilarious.

CPJ brought a unique system here that some have hated since day one. It’s polarizing. I, for one, love it, and think it gives GT a great chance to be competitive. Some of you don’t think we are at a recruiting disadvantage, though, so that competitive argument falls on deaf ears.

I love that CPJ graduates kids, doesn’t cheat, says what he means, and genuinely cares for his S/As.

I don’t say this for the reasons that so many other posters are saying it (and I’ll continue to fight their ignorance), but I believe it’s time for a change.

I don’t want CPJ to be fired. He doesn’t deserve that. I hope that he will simply retire as one of the greatest coaches in GT history (which he is). Then I hope we make a hire that runs a very similar offensive concept, with some variation like Fritz or Monken have brought to a roster like this before. I hope we can keep CNW through that transition. This D is going to continue to get better, and it suits the young talent on that side of the ball.

I’m grateful for CPJ’s time here. It was good for GT football, and those who think otherwise are idiots.

Ramblin741

Banned
The poor crowd for homecoming is a symptom of a disease. The disease being one of irrelevance and complacency. The acceptance of mediocrity in favor of supposed academic superiority and elitism. This is a program well on the way to becoming an afterthought like SMU, Tulane, Vanderbilt and Wake Forrest. Yes, it is that critical.
+ 1000000. Agree with every word , except I think we have already reached the point of being irrelevant like Weak Forest. Truly pathetic and I think this could be a 5-10 process before we dig ourselves out of the basement of the ACC

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I love the TO ... when it works. I just don’t think CPJ can coach it anymore. Sometimes, even the right idea doesn’t have enough gas.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of things but I’ll just say this, it is VERY important in our offense that whoever the QB is has and uses proper form and technique when throwing. It’s even more important when a QB is under constant pressure, otherwise the ball will ALWAYS be thrown off target. Off target meaning being wide of the WR, into the ground or to high.

I say it’s very important in our offense b/c when we do pass it needs to be on target.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The sad part is that Duke is just pretty good. Limited on offense depending on what kind of day Jones has but solid on defense. Notice the difference between their linebackers and ours. I hate to say it, but it is apparent at least to me, that Duke simply has better players, especially on defense. That said, this is not some emerging power that beat us today. This is a team that is at best a fringe top 25 or so team. You saw what happened to them against Virginia Tech, that is pretty indicative of where Duke stands.

For the past 5-6 years Duke plays their best game of the year against us, we are their superbowl for some reason. they will look like crap in a couple of wtf? games before the season is over.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Where is post game interview of CpJ??? Would like to hear his excuses

Well, I just listened to it courtesy of Go Jackets. It was not pretty. He was really upset about someone messing up an offensive line call that left a gap for their blitzing safety time after time. Someone asked him why there were linebackers and safeties able to blitz and run down the quarterback from the back side and he said something like "stupidity" because they had practiced all week on that situation. He was exasperated and discouraged about the turnovers, the penalties, and the lack of calls from the officials regarding late hits, spearing and what not.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Tough one. 3 straight fumbles, 3 straight TDs. Ballgame. We’re not good enough to make mistakes.

CPJ hasn’t forgotten how to coach. Some of you have forgotten some pretty dark periods of GT football, however. The amount of comparisons to CFB bottom-feeders is hilarious.

CPJ brought a unique system here that some have hated since day one. It’s polarizing. I, for one, love it, and think it gives GT a great chance to be competitive. Some of you don’t think we are at a recruiting disadvantage, though, so that competitive argument falls on deaf ears.

I love that CPJ graduates kids, doesn’t cheat, says what he means, and genuinely cares for his S/As.

I don’t say this for the reasons that so many other posters are saying it (and I’ll continue to fight their ignorance), but I believe it’s time for a change.

I don’t want CPJ to be fired. He doesn’t deserve that. I hope that he will simply retire as one of the greatest coaches in GT history (which he is). Then I hope we make a hire that runs a very similar offensive concept, with some variation like Fritz or Monken have brought to a roster like this before. I hope we can keep CNW through that transition. This D is going to continue to get better, and it suits the young talent on that side of the ball.

I’m grateful for CPJ’s time here. It was good for GT football, and those who think otherwise are idiots.

All of this is pretty much true and nice to acknowledge but the fact of the matter is that he will leave his successor with a much more difficult task than he faced following Chan. I have said it before and I will say it again, recruiting and player development are the two main issues with this football program. There is no excuse to have a major college program that consistently recruits in the bottom half of the ACC when there is a mother lode of talent in this state. Until that is changed, there is little point in discussing changing the coach because the successor will be staring at the same problems that have bedeviled Coach Johnson.

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is on the coaches for sure but when we have good teams it’s when the Qb is a difference maker in the passing game! Basically we can’t throw the ball against good defensive teams. We struggled in the Tevin years against good teams! We have to be able to throw!

With that being said I know it was only one play but it seemed to me that Graham has a different gear! I’m excited to see him play and I won’t give up on my team! Ride or die I’m in!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
All of this is pretty much true and nice to acknowledge but the fact of the matter is that he will leave his successor with a much more difficult task than he faced following Chan. I have said it before and I will say it again, recruiting and player development are the two main issues with this football program. There is no excuse to have a major college program that consistently recruits in the bottom half of the ACC when there is a mother lode of talent in this state. Until that is changed, there is little point in discussing changing the coach because the successor will be staring at the same problems that have bedeviled Coach Johnson.

We’ll agree to disagree on the situation CPJ inherited when he arrived. And the talent on the current roster, it seems.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Well, for a long time die hard Tech fan, this is painful to watch. College football has changed so much in the last 10 years. I don't like all the changes. Huge recruiting budgets, all business. The NFL has the draft to somewhat level the field. NCAA has nothing. As an Institute we need to either be all in with nationwide recruiting, more non qualifiers or one " easier " major, huge recruiting budget , OR resign ourselves to being Wake Forest. Clemson changed years ago, Duke has changed recently, Syracuse is improving. VT will show us how far behind them we have fallen. UNC and UVA will bounce back, as will Louisville. We will be in a group with WF, BC, and possibly PITT. If we are satisfied with getting passed by others to maintain our schools' image and academic integrity, changing a head coach will be like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I agree. I was on a flight today to San Antonio and talking football with my seat mate who is a Texas fan. He actually asked if Ga Tech was considering dropping down a division. I was stunned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herb

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I was on a flight today to San Antonio and talking football with my seat mate who is a Texas fan. He actually asked if Ga Tech was considering dropping down a division. I was stunned.

He must have a short memory because until the last year, Texas has been a dumpster fire. Probably the most fertile recruiting ground outside of Florida, and perhaps even better because it doesn’t have to split it near as much and done nothing with it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well, I just listened to it courtesy of Go Jackets. It was not pretty. He was really upset about someone messing up an offensive line call that left a gap for their blitzing safety time after time. Someone asked him why there were linebackers and safeties able to blitz and run down the quarterback from the back side and he said something like "stupidity" because they had practiced all week on that situation. He was exasperated and discouraged about the turnovers, the penalties, and the lack of calls from the officials regarding late hits, spearing and what not.
One of two things , coaches do not know how to ( teach ) or it's the players , pick one.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

Seat mate must not watch much college football. If we need to drop down a division, so does 50% of other FBS schools.