Duke Postgame

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not a whole lot different than what has been going on. Nothing to get more excited about.

- Not totally motivated to start the game. Duke scored in 4 plays.
- Some good things on D but still having breakdowns that kill us. What was it, a long TD pass on 3rd & 12? Woody might help us if he is still here.
- S/T horrible because we always revert to bad things we have been doing. Been an afterthought, in its entirety, for 11 years. No need to get excited when that doesn’t change.
- O. Gaining tons of rushing yards against horrible, illegitimate, lower division schools may excite many with very low expectations for GT. But it is obvious even an average, at best, team like Duke only has to focus on stopping 3 to 5 basic plays. Sadly, that O today, against Duke, looked like a bad (really bad) high school team.

But there is no reason to get excited, or talk of changing coaches, etc.

GT has become an organization where the individual employee is more important than the school or athletic team. Be it administrators stealing from the taxpayers or coaches like Johnson & Sewak refusing to do what is best for the team & S/As.

Folks - after 11 years we have a coach that will earn a bonus if he goes to the San Francisco Poop till U can’t Scoop Anymore Bowl, but gets ZERO bonus if he beats ugag. Hilarious.

Look like crap - play like crap - don’t expect to compete against the best - give us more money,

It truly, without any doubt IWII.

And no need to worry or talk about it.

Good luck selling more tix.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Marshall looked like he got hurt on the first sack. He seem to be favoring one leg if he was hurt and the coach still played him then I have a big problem with the coach . Defense did play better till we fumble over and over. And I do believe if I was a special teams coach after the first 2 kickoff returns I would tell the returner just call a fair catch and we will,get it on the 25.
Been a recurring theme this year , coaching , coaching , coaching - mostly on offense and ST. Defense looks like it is actually making progress.

Deleted member 2897

I can’t figure out who was worse - the Refs or the dirty play from Duke. Duke outplayed us almost all game and had no need to act like Miami circa-1990s. Spearing, punching, kicking, hands to the face - most after the whistle. I haven’t seen a team play that dirty in a long time. Duke has won 4 of the last 5 - Cutcliffe owns Johnson. He is living rent free in Johnson’s head. We know what Duke is bringing on defense and we have nothing...and what little we do call TM seems to bail out of and misread. We don’t fair catch kickoffs caught on the 1 and we leave the guy out there to keep returning kicks. We have freshmen all over the field which I quite frankly don’t understand. We burn a game for James Graham for 1 play instead of calling a timeout. Defense once again is not the problem. If Cutcliffe didn’t brain fart and throw the ball with 1 minute left in the first half, it would have been like 28-0 late in the game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Those 3 turnovers were the Miami debacle all over again. You just can’t beat good teams when you give them gifts like that.

The D played well overall and I think is showing good improvement. ASA is balling and the best proof of how this scheme gets the most out of our talent. He’s honestly proving I was wrong in my assessment of his talent. He’s not just an ok player, he’s a baller.

Kicking game in pleased with the progression. Return and coverage games...ugh. That fumble was a killer.

On O....our run game is solid. But too hamstrung by our weak passing game. Duke at times was begging us to kill them with some slants imo but we appear incapable of taking advantage. We have to be able to pass better. I’m not calling for a QB change. The best guy in this moment in time is almost certainly our starter. But he does have some glaring weaknesses or we would be passing more in those situations I think.

Duke is a good team. Very good on D, okay on O. 2nd year in a row we are allowing some huge unforced errors to gift games away. We are the opposite of a “clutch” team recently.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Disagree majorly.
GT has advantages that other programs wish they had, even being a high academic technical institution. That’s actually a selling point in many ways. You run an offense that repulsive to many recruits and eliminates your program from high level recruiting and it show. Then mention the lack of support from the athletic program and wah lah. Tod is fixing the back end now it’s time to fix the front.
This come from Cherokee Tribune, Protecting The QB. Two Duke players who are engineering students figured out a way to give their QB's collar bone some added protection. Jones said center Clark Bulleit and LB Kevin Gehsmann took a suggestion from the schools executive director of athletic medicine and used a 3 -D printer to create a plastic pad personalized to the contours of Jones neck and chest. Jones said those are two brilliant guys, i'm super appreciative for what they've done and those efforts.

What does this mean ? I have no idea if those 2 are starters and I don't know if Tech has the field in engineering they are in at Duke. But what I do know if they are starters and Tech does have the major they are taking , why could we not get them. Maybe it's time to think our players are the smartest . And maybe other college are also good.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I left after three lost fumbles in a minute and a half. Did we actually play James Graham at the end of the game for one snap? Is Johnson insane to use one of four games on a single play?

I thought I’d things went south we’d see him in the last four games, but how does the staff burn one of four on a single play in a game like that?

Hopefully the ESPN stat sheet is wrong...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I left after three lost fumbles in a minute and a half. Did we actually play James Graham at the end of the game for one snap? Is Johnson insane to use one of four games on a single play?

I thought I’d things went south we’d see him in the last four games, but how does the staff burn one of four on a single play in a game like that?

Yes he did dumb move

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

This isn’t worth its own thread? Totally different than just bitching about how the team looked awful, but ok.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Being blown out twice at home is no bueno.

I’ve been supportive of Johnson, and to me he still has some leash left, but he’s running out. It’s one thing to lose; it’s entirely another to look like the offensive coaches took the week off. Yet another poor crowd, too, even for homecoming.

The poor crowd for homecoming is a symptom of a disease. The disease being one of irrelevance and complacency. The acceptance of mediocrity in favor of supposed academic superiority and elitism. This is a program well on the way to becoming an afterthought like SMU, Tulane, Vanderbilt and Wake Forrest. Yes, it is that critical.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The poor crowd for homecoming is a symptom of a disease. The disease being one of irrelevance and complacency. The acceptance of mediocrity in favor of supposed academic superiority and elitism. This is a program well on the way to becoming an afterthought like SMU, Tulane, Vanderbilt and Wake Forrest. Yes, it is that critical.

My date at the game thought we did well for 3 quarters. My STH neighbor reassured her after 40 years of watching Tech - we would collapse. Very Newtonian.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Those 3 turnovers were the Miami debacle all over again. You just can’t beat good teams when you give them gifts like that.

The D played well overall and I think is showing good improvement. ASA is balling and the best proof of how this scheme gets the most out of our talent. He’s honestly proving I was wrong in my assessment of his talent. He’s not just an ok player, he’s a baller.

Kicking game in pleased with the progression. Return and coverage games...ugh. That fumble was a killer.

On O....our run game is solid. But too hamstrung by our weak passing game. Duke at times was begging us to kill them with some slants imo but we appear incapable of taking advantage. We have to be able to pass better. I’m not calling for a QB change. The best guy in this moment in time is almost certainly our starter. But he does have some glaring weaknesses or we would be passing more in those situations I think.

Duke is a good team. Very good on D, okay on O. 2nd year in a row we are allowing some huge unforced errors to gift games away. We are the opposite of a “clutch” team recently.

The sad part is that Duke is just pretty good. Limited on offense depending on what kind of day Jones has but solid on defense. Notice the difference between their linebackers and ours. I hate to say it, but it is apparent at least to me, that Duke simply has better players, especially on defense. That said, this is not some emerging power that beat us today. This is a team that is at best a fringe top 25 or so team. You saw what happened to them against Virginia Tech, that is pretty indicative of where Duke stands.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Marshall looked like he got hurt on the first sack. He seem to be favoring one leg if he was hurt and the coach still played him then I have a big problem with the coach . Defense did play better till we fumble over and over. And I do believe if I was a special teams coach after the first 2 kickoff returns I would tell the returner just call a fair catch and we will,get it on the 25.

With a TRUE FR returner, you are asking for trouble.NO reason in big games to not take the auto 25 yd line.With our blocking we are lucky to get there anyway. .Stupid, just stupid.PJ has ignored ST for yrs--it will get him fired after sFl and now this.