Duke Postgame

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm of the opinion that Marshall really ought to be an a back.

He's got the wheels for it, he's got the hands for it, he's got the 1 cut ability for it.

Mostly though, he's got the temperament for it. He's a guy who wants to bust it long, not a guy who wants to put his head down and get 3.

With the rise of Mills, I agree. Mills with Marcus Allen backing him up is a great 1-2 punch, possibly better than Mills/Marshall.

I still think Marshall is the most gifted runner, and his style of running would probably make him the best rushing AB.

Had Mills not come out of nowhere, it would have been tough to move Marshall.

Jmonty71

Banned
The issue is Roof plays a scheme that is really outdated. Read and react is what you do in middle school. If we were loaded with speed and size, then read and react would he good. We would have those speedy OLBs that can chase down RBs. However; we don't. This is made up with smoke and mirrors and playing aggressive. Roof had to know that Duke threw short slants most of the time. Yet, the TE was wide open over and over with the middle slant. Why? We played 10 yards off the slot WR, giving them the inside slant. A simple man up, bump and run would stop that. We could of went to a single safety set to cover the 4 eligible receivers. But, did not. It's things like that I fail understand. Why keep getting punished by the other team's offense? The defense, should be doing the punishing.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
With the rise of Mills, I agree. Mills with Marcus Allen backing him up is a great 1-2 punch, possibly better than Mills/Marshall.

I still think Marshall is the most gifted runner, and his style of running would probably make him the best rushing AB.

Had Mills not come out of nowhere, it would have been tough to move Marshall.
If you are only talking this year or next ? Remember Allen is a senior so he won't be back. As of now I don't think you can change Marshall to A-back till Spring practice. I still worry about his blocking.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you are only talking this year or next ? Remember Allen is a senior so he won't be back. As of now I don't think you can change Marshall to A-back till Spring practice. I still worry about his blocking.

This year...but you're correct, it's too late to move the pieces around. It's a shame because I think Allen has his own strengths the other two don't have, and it would be nice to see Marshall's quickness, agility, and speed on the perimeter.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Did anybody notice the middle of our DL getting pushed around the entire second half? We have two 5th year guys and the rest are third year and younger. Next year is going to be worse.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Well if Adams is only good 2 plays then let's get him in on 1st down with Gamble

Rotate him after the guaranteed 1st down we give up.
Simmons and Freeman

I would like to see the combo PJ and Lewis, but PJ is not that great getting off of blocks either so I'm not even sure about the LBs
Thanks! Yeah, I hoped I would see something out of Victor Alexander, but his scrapes took him to where the play started a few times today.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
The offense completely, totally shat the bed the entire 3rd qtr and let the opponent back into the game, thanks to turnovers.

Yet somehow they played magnificently, thanks to a bunch of backyard, broken-play scrambles by our QB.

edit: They played a GREAT 1st half but let Puke back into it in the 2nd.

Lol the offense shat the bed after putting up 600 yards. Please go post on the basketball board because football isn't your forte.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Let's be fair here: Huge chunks of those yards were from completely broken, backyard-type QB scrambles on pass plays, not designed run plays. Thankfully, JT is awesome and Puke stinks but let's not pretend our OL just dominated Duke's OL and that those Rushing stats were proof.

The 50 yard scramble on the goal line was a back yard play. The 50 yard run on the 3&17 looked like we ran verticals to clear out the middle of the field for a designed qb scramble. Isnt that what you want though? Playmakers? People who can make plays when something breaks down? Not every play is going to be executed perfectly, I hear so many people bitching about us not having someone who can take over a game and then our quarterback accounts for 450 yards of offense it's because everyone else sucks. Just STFU and go somewhere else

Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This note is based on nothing but my live viewing from the front rows of the upper north.

Execution today was sloppy on both sides of the ball. We had trouble getting lined up. We had trouble getting the subs in. We had trouble with timing of snaps etc etc.

The majority of our run yards came on busted plays with guys just improvising and creating space.

DOOK played 9 in the box much of the day and forced us to play left handed. Fortunately, our left is pretty good. Showing we can beat you through the air is important. It needed to be done today.

Our DL got pushed all over the planet.

Our body language on the field, especially in the 3rd Q was ATROCIOUS. You would think we were playing on a short week, let alone after a bye week. We had NO ENERGY and slumped shoulders moving on and off the field. It was clear to me, these kids did not believe they could stop the Dookies. If my eyes don't deceive, we didn't even want to be out there. FRUSTRATING beyond belief.

Our LBs are slow.

Too much dancing at times and not just diving forward for a few certain yards.

As a coach, right now I would be worried that I have lost the players. After a bye week and being rested, we should have been bouncing off the walls. Not so! This was the worst defensive performance since the MTSU debacle. We gave up 600 yards and 2/3 3rd downs on a day when our offense got 600. Just amazing. I can understand confusion at times, but not lethargy and defeated attitude when you still have the lead.

We are 1-0 this weekend and I am thankful. Every win is great, but if we want to be 1-0 next Saturday, something will need to change.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I heard people around me complaining about the taking a knee too. We had about 15 seconds we needed to kill. We did everything right running backwards to kill clock.
In our area of the UNEZ, we were all calculating it out, we had no qualms. We - GT- did what was was needed.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
That's not correct. 3rd down, 0:42 left. Puke out of TOs. Take a knee and there's not enough time left on the 40-second game clock. Instead, we run an absolutely foolish Dive Play and hope there's no Fumble. Just a head scratcher. Les Miles and CPJ are the 2 worst game-clock coaches in all of football.

Only true IF we burn a minimum of 2 seconds...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
CPJ is one of the worst clock managers IMHO. It's terribly stupid to put your starting QB running around risking injury or TO when a couple of knees will do. With 0:42 seconds left (and a 0:40 second game clock), actually running a Dive play there was one of the stupidest play calls I've ever seen. A simple knee takes at least 10 seconds off the clock by the time the ref gets the ball and spots it. But no - CPJ decides to run a play that could have caused a fumble and given the ball back to Puke. Just unreal.
Watch the 40 second play clock again... it starts when the player is called down. The 25 second play clock starts on the ref's whistle.
so if a second goes of the clock, then the knee that'd still leave time on the clock.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
So, I just went and checked. The offense had 2 drives in the 3rd quarter. 1 was a fumble, the 2nd resulted in a field goal.

I mean, it's not the greatest thing ever, but it's also not messing the bed completely.
Technically had 3 possessions/drives... 1st play of 1st possession (after the interception) in the 3rd quarter.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Don't look now... GT just put up the most points of any team vs. Duke this year... more than Louisville and ND.

If you like points per drive, GT averaged 3.5.

Tough spot for those who have an agenda against the O.

So instead let's tear them down for 1 offensive turnover... their first and only in the last 3 games.

Or let's talk about how JT saved our asses with back yard football plays. I'm curious why Lamar Jackson couldn't do the same?

So we're down to talking about our technique in burning an extra 11 seconds of game clock...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Re: the D, it's a problem.

For those who think it's athletes, please explain how Wake Forest, Northwestern, UVA and Army produced far better results in their games vs. Duke.

I don't know what's being taught vs. executed, however there were clear breakdowns at an unacceptable level before the snaps even happened. CPJ said it, Corey Griffin said it, in the postgame presser.