Duke Postgame

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Duke played like they always do. Sold out on the run and waited for us to beat ourselves. Duke usually doesn't commit 3 turnovers but we ended up cancelling it out by committing our own and put them back in it. JT won this game. With so many yards I never once really thought we were clicking on offense.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Duke played like they always do. Sold out on the run and waited for us to beat ourselves. Duke usually doesn't commit 3 turnovers but we ended up cancelling it out by committing our own and put them back in it. JT won this game. With so many yards I never once really thought we were clicking on offense.
Agree JT was our offense today.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, he was. What today also showed was why Mills is starting and why he is so important to our success. Barring MM's big run, the BB position was only consistently productive when Allen took over. Further, that mixup at the mesh was inexcusable. Oth, if Mills had played today, I think we would have won by two TDs or more. Puke was selling out to stop the wide stuff - not that it helped them much - and we should have been able to run at will up the gut, despite the way they were jumping the mesh.

Hope he's ok for the Tarholes. And if you think today's game was a track meet, wait'll next week. It'll be just the same (provided we get Mills back) and maybe even worse.

Last edited:

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I always swear since "the return" all our special teams players try to go for the big play instead of the safe play. Offense played lights out except for the third quarter. Hard fought win, but we really do need to tell people to take a knee in the endzone. See: today's special teams and Clemson d/Special teams

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I still think we got beaten on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. That is worrisome to me.

JeT was superhuman today.

Why don't we play #90 more on defense? Got to do SOMETHING different on defense!

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Good win and I know Johnson says we have stuff to clean up, but our wasting of Time outs is mind boggling. We burned a TO after we have 12 men on the field and they are on the half yard line. Odds are they are going to score, save the TO. Burning a TO after a change of quarters is inexcusable. Luckily we didn't need them.

Good win and I know Johnson says we have stuff to clean up, but our wasting of Time outs is mind boggling. We burned a TO after we have 12 men on the field and they are on the half yard line. Odds are they are going to score, save the TO. Burning a TO after a change of quarters is inexcusable. Luckily we didn't need them.

I was stunned we took a time out immediately coming out at the start of the 4th qtr. And it's clear we don't actually have a "Take a Knee Victory" formation either, but rather run our starting QB around, hoping he avoids injury and TOs. Just mind-bogglingly-stupid.

We won because of JT and in spite of CPJ.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
We called timeout because Duke had a WR completely uncovered

I heard people around me complaining about the taking a knee too. We had about 15 seconds we needed to kill. We did everything right running backwards to kill clock.

That's not correct. 3rd down, 0:42 left. Puke out of TOs. Take a knee and there's not enough time left on the 40-second game clock. Instead, we run an absolutely foolish Dive Play and hope there's no Fumble. Just a head scratcher. Les Miles and CPJ are the 2 worst game-clock coaches in all of football.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I heard people around me complaining about the taking a knee too. We had about 15 seconds we needed to kill. We did everything right running backwards to kill clock.
Correct. After the last play there were 37 seconds and a 40 second play clock. We didn't want to give the ball back.

Jmonty71

Banned
Despite the fact Duke ran slant after slant, Roof never called bump and run, for the CBs. However; I did like the pre snap movement and I liked seeing the LBs get more aggressive. Too many missed tackles led to drives extending. We forced (technically ) 2 punts. I was glad Duke didn't go for it on 4th diwn, late in the game. I really had no confidence that we'd stop them. All in all, the offense gets a huge game ball. In particular, JT, for making something out of nothing. Go Jackets!