Duke Postgame

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The opposing offense will simply not sub and after 5 plays he's no longer a brick wall- he's on skates.

Get it now?

No I don't get it. I would rather see us have 5 plays where our DL isn't pushed 3 yards off the ball. Even when Clemson runs tempo they sub on average once every 8 plays, AND if they aren't picking up yardage in chunks they sub more frequently.

He could always just lay down and get an injury timeout. We wouldn't be the first team to do it. All I am saying is give the kid a shot. If it is worse than what we are getting now then take him out.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
No I don't get it. I would rather see us have 5 plays where our DL isn't pushed 3 yards off the ball. Even when Clemson runs tempo they sub on average once every 8 plays, AND if they aren't picking up yardage in chunks they sub more frequently.

He could always just lay down and get an injury timeout. We wouldn't be the first team to do it. All I am saying is give the kid a shot. If it is worse than what we are getting now then take him out.
I guess Ted just doesn't care. Probably never see him play 4-5 snaps in a row in practice.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I guess Ted just doesn't care. Probably never see him play 4-5 snaps in a row in practice.

Look I am not a Ted hater, but when you allow 60% 3rd down conversion it is worth a shot IMO. Give him a series and see if he can help get them off the field.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Look I am not a Ted hater, but when you allow 60% 3rd down conversion it is worth a shot IMO. Give him a series and see if he can help get them off the field.
Lol this! We are definitely at the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
POSITIVES:

Our WRs are making plays when we need them to. Jeune in particular seems like he's becoming Smelter with the way he works well with JeT. Stewart is starting to step up and his production is reflecting that.

You can see why Mills is starting over Marshall, but Marshall has that ability to take a small crease and gain huge chunks of yardage. Mills is just better at consistently getting 3-5 yards a pop on shear will alone.

Outside of Griffin whiffing on the ball and the TE scoring the TD, I thought our safeties played well again. Griffin has really stepped up over the past few games.

I thought Terrell Lewis showed some physical attributes we've been missing from LBs. He can run, he can get off blocks, and he has great pursuit. You can tell he hesitates for a bit because he doesn't play much, but to me he's our most physically gifted LB we have right now. I rarely saw him getting caught up by an single OL. Like the other LBs, seems a little lost covering in space, but seems like he's in the right place, just a step slow making plays. He's not physically getting left behind by anyone he's covering. More reps and playing time will cure that.

Don't know if anyone has noticed this, but if we don't hurt ourselves (FUMBLES!), we've all of a sudden become a good to really good offense.

JeT. Best game for a QB since CPJ came here. Really impressive what he did on the ground and in the air. I said it in another thread, but a QB can put up MONSTER numbers in this offense. This is the type of game I envision our QBs having.

Clinton Lynch doing Clinton Lynch things. Again.

NEGATIVES

WTF was going on with our LBs? Seemed like Mitchell and Lewis were occupying the same areas half the day. On one play, and it's probably because Lewis didn't know his assignment, Mitchell was screaming at him to do something and Lewis went around Mitchell to the right side of the LOS. Only problem was the running play went left and the space either Mitchell or Lewis was suppose to cover was left vacant. It was a classic sweep up play for the LB to make...except there was no LB to make it.

The more I watch this defense, the more I think our players are assignment and scheme confused. Our LB play exemplifies that, and the way we lose coverage of players when crossing zones also shows that. The TEs were getting passed off but it seemed like either the safety didn't recognize it, or the LB released the TE too soon. IMO, you can always tell how sound players know their assignments by how a defense handles TEs. Not a good day for us in that regard.

That #34 for Duke was a heck of a player. Could not block him, and he made some of our guys look silly at times how he just went right through them.

Duke was not having any part of our "MJ package". Loaded up the LOS and stuffed us. I believe the first 2 plays Braun was in, then Devine came in. Devine actually wiped his guy out of the play, but there was no one assigned to block the gap vacated by the DT Devine wiped out and the LB made the play. Maybe put Marcus Allen in, and call a QB follow behind the BB there?

All in all, a close win beats a close loss any day. On to UNC...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We can talk about fixing the scheme when the players actually consistently execute the scheme.

I've seen mass confusion on the defense way too often. What is causing that??
Dook was the first game I sensed a ton of confusion. It was certainly there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Issues on D unrelated to physical talent:
  • In the postgame presser, Corey Griffin spoke to players missing calls pre-snap, some getting new calls/some stuck on the old, and not having eyes in the right place at the snap as a result
  • Did anyone see the defensive cluster on Duke's 1st TD drive of the 2nd half? Immediately following a deep ball where Lamont Simmons was called for a personal foul face mask:
    • 1st and goal started at the 2 yard line... no goal line package subbed in... plenty of time to make a substitution due to aforementioned penalty call... Duke carries ball to the 1
    • 2nd and goal - try to get goal line package in.... defensive substitution infraction
    • 2nd and goal, again - left a WR uncovered on Duke's sideline... GT timeout
    • 3rd and goal, from the 6 in line - goal line package out; base 4-3 defense with safeties in the box... DL caves and Duke gets a TD
That was one of the worst defensive series I've seen and had little to do with physical limitations.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Duke ran 73 plays, we had ONLY four tackles for loss. The Blue Devils rushed for 254 yards and three touchdowns. Stopping the run and starts with the line.
Stopping the pass also starts with the line.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Issues on D unrelated to physical talent:
  • In the postgame presser, Corey Griffin spoke to players missing calls pre-snap, some getting new calls/some stuck on the old, and not having eyes in the right place at the snap as a result
  • Did anyone see the defensive cluster on Duke's 1st TD drive of the 2nd half? Immediately following a deep ball where Lamont Simmons was called for a personal foul face mask:
    • 1st and goal started at the 2 yard line... no goal line package subbed in... plenty of time to make a substitution due to aforementioned penalty call... Duke carries ball to the 1
    • 2nd and goal - try to get goal line package in.... defensive substitution infraction
    • 2nd and goal, again - left a WR uncovered on Duke's sideline... GT timeout
    • 3rd and goal, from the 6 in line - goal line package out; base 4-3 defense with safeties in the box... DL caves and Duke gets a TD
That was one of the worst defensive series I've seen and had little to do with physical limitations.
I think CPJ was seething about this the whole game...mentioned it in his post game presser.

It was bad.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just finished watching the replay. No film study, just every play once and ffwd through commercials. This is my reaction: as bad as our defense was, we still should have won by 3 TDs. Holy cow. The meltdown in our own end has only been surpassed by Miami 2016. If we just hang on to the ball, they have no chance. Those few minutes were the difference between an absolute blowout and a nail biter. Man, being a CFB fan is a fragile thing. The way we were moving the ball, it could have been 35-7 half way through Q3 after Law's pick. Then after all that, we crap the bed on a first and goal from the 2 to keep them in it. We are our own worst enemy.

It's funny how you forget plays after watching a game live. Man JT had a prolific game. It can't be overstated. The last two big runs, can you ever pick a more important time to do something like that? He threw the ball like Joe Montana and he ran like Mike Vick. Amazing.