Duke Postgame

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Re: the D, it's a problem.

For those who think it's athletes, please explain how Wake Forest, Northwestern, UVA and Army produced far better results in their games vs. Duke.

I don't know what's being taught vs. executed, however there were clear breakdowns at an unacceptable level before the snaps even happened. CPJ said it, Corey Griffin said it, in the postgame presser.
The whole talent excuse needs to stop. Almost everybody in the 2 deep on D had multiple P5 offers coming out of HS. There's no reason for us to be this bad on D.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
And just to be clear, I don't think the O is perfect.

Also don't think the D issues fall solely on Roof.

Justin Thomas was ridiculous today. He did save us at times, no question, but he's not the only QB in the NCAA that's ever done this.

Thought Lewis played ok - couple big TFL with some offsetting issues. Simmons had a big deflection and was also tackled by Duke's OT on a 3rd down conversion in the 1st half.

CPJ or someone missed a challenge on a bad spot in the 1st half. Gave Duke a 1st down rather than 4th and short deep in their territory. Duke ended up getting stuffed on the 4th and 4 on our side of the field.

Animal02

Banned
And just to be clear, I don't think the O is perfect.

Also don't think the D issues fall solely on Roof.

Justin Thomas was ridiculous today. He did save us at times, no question, but he's not the only QB in the NCAA that's ever done this.

Thought Lewis played ok - couple big TFL with some offsetting issues. Simmons had a big deflection and was also tackled by Duke's OT on a 3rd down conversion in the 1st half.

CPJ or someone missed a challenge on a bad spot in the 1st half. Gave Duke a 1st down rather than 4th and short deep in their territory. Duke ended up getting stuffed on the 4th and 4 on our side of the field.
Challenging spots for the most part is a waste.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to see ted roof succeed. I think he is a great ambassador for our program and has a deep admiration for this school, which is showing in recruiting, BUT the play on the field is meeting expectations. I don't expect a top 25 D but I think we have the players to at least be middle of the pack.

If things dont get fixed, I could see CPJ going in another direction after the season, unfortunately. There is a chance FSU could scapegoat Charles Kelly if they have a less than stellar season. I would be interested to see if he would make his way back to the flats if he is available. Still too early for all this talk though.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Idk how anyone can complain about an offense thats TOP 13 in offense efficiency before this game. Not sure what we are now but I would assume at least the same if not better.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Re the D line:

I've said a few times this year that Duke's O-Line is extremely well coached. What they did to our D-Line today is what they've done to everyone they've played this year. Duke just hasn't been able to make anyone pay because they can't throw. When you leave TE's wide open like we did they'll actually move the ball.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Challenging spots for the most part is a waste.
I agree with that typically. The one I'm thinking of was off by almost a full yard, in my estimation. When it's that egregious it's worth the challenge, imo, particularly if it leads to a change in possession. My eyes could have deceived me and I could be wrong obviously.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
The issue is Roof plays a scheme that is really outdated. Read and react is what you do in middle school. If we were loaded with speed and size, then read and react would he good. We would have those speedy OLBs that can chase down RBs. However; we don't. This is made up with smoke and mirrors and playing aggressive. Roof had to know that Duke threw short slants most of the time. Yet, the TE was wide open over and over with the middle slant. Why? We played 10 yards off the slot WR, giving them the inside slant. A simple man up, bump and run would stop that. We could of went to a single safety set to cover the 4 eligible receivers. But, did not. It's things like that I fail understand. Why keep getting punished by the other team's offense? The defense, should be doing the punishing.

I agree but obviously can't say anything. I "personally attacked" Roof. Lol. Whatever

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I hope JT surpasses these numbers vs UGAg! After rewatching he was our O. All the JT haters need to rewatch this game. He gained a lot of admiration from me today. I don't give admiration lightly. It far bested his Orange Bowl performance IMO.

Our D is an issue, and I trust CPJ to fix it. He is our coach, and how he chooses to fix it is up to him.

Duke isn't bad defensively, and they have good talent. To put up 600 yards on them is really good.