Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

That's why I said it was an inconsequential decision. The chance of it costing us anything significant is also microscopic. The only way it costs us something is if it's exactly 4 games, Yates is an actual improvement over Johnson, and that improvement is enough to affect the outcome of the game. It makes no difference.
So suppose Graham goes down for good in one of the remaining games. THAT ONE PLAY TODAY counts against his 4 games not to have to burn his redshirt. If Graham were to go down for the season in the 10th game, it wouldn't matter, but if he were to go down in the 9th game, then there goes the redshirt. STUPID !!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So the best explanation for this decision that anyone has presented is that it doesn't really matter either way? I reckon that's probably the mindset of our head coach and why this decision was further validation that he is in over his head on game days. Sorry, but the chances of Graham getting hurt against UVA and requiring Yates to play out the season are not microscopic.

And if they decide to play LJ in one of those games instead of Yates, it puts the team at a competitive disadvantage they wouldn't have faced if today's decision was actually thought through.

The explanation is that he was the next QB that was ready to play, with the assumption the LJ isn't healthy (haven't herd one way or another). It may be just a matter of closing the door on Oliver at QB, and giving a guy who has worked hard in practice a taste of game time.

What is microscopic is the chance at him playing this one snap has any real impact on the season. So what would it take for it to make any difference. Graham would have to be hurt in the exact right game. Yates would have to be a clear upgrade over LJ, and the game we chose to play LJ over him would have to be close enough for that advantage to decide the score. Even in the situation of Graham getting hurt against UVA, why not have LJ finish that game, and Yates plays the remaining 3? So it wouldn't just have to be the right game. It'd have to be early enough in a likely blowout of the right game for it to make a difference.

The fact is, you save the 4 games to get guys experience. Because our QB is a freshman who needs all the experience he can get, Yates isn't likely to see the field in 4 games anyways.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to say it but I don't see another win this year. JG is getting experience but this is only his second full game. Other teams QB's are now into 5 games of experience if a new starter. He should get better but may be too late to catch up. Howell was much better in his first game at UNC than any of our guys. Shows the difference in what O they were recruited for. I was surprised we didn’t use TO more in the offense. Wildcat, reverses, lateral with pass back to JG. Maybe in another game?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So suppose Graham goes down for good in one of the remaining games. THAT ONE PLAY TODAY counts against his 4 games not to have to burn his redshirt. If Graham were to go down for the season in the 10th game, it wouldn't matter, but if he were to go down in the 9th game, then there goes the redshirt. STUPID !!!

So wait, Collins would be forced to play Yates in all 4 games? Like Johnson couldn't finish the UVA game, or take the inevitable pounding from UGA?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think what I've learned is that once you go option based ball, you either just stick with it and recruit well or it's going to be a long transition back

That really assumes that a HC with 2 years of HC experience, none at the Pwr5 level, a DC with 1 year DC experience, no coaching experience at the Pwr5 level, and an OC with 28 years of coaching experience, none at the Pwr5 level, 2 years at the FBS level (happened to be old friend of the HC) set the standard for what it takes to transition from spread-option based offense at the Pwr 5 level.

I hope you understand that not everyone will agree with that assumption.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
But why bring in a "raw" QB instead of just settling for the 1-point PAT. There hopefully would have been other chances to get a 2-pointer.

The spread was 18. If we kick a PAT, the spread would be 17, 3 scores.

As for why we went with Jordan rather than snapping the ball to Tobias, I don't know, but I suspect it was a clever play that our OC, HC, and Run-game Coordinator thought would work. It may also be that they've decided to burn Jordan's shirt regardless.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t Graham redshirt last year?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
That was just for all of the whiners on here that worry about our attendance. Hell, we could be Duke. They have a decent team and can't even draw a high school size crowd. So the next time you feel sorry for Georgia Tech's poorly attended games, remember, it can get a hell of a lot worse.

Go Jackets!