Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nothing has changed. It is a waiting game until we get players that can run this offense enrolled. FWIW, I guess the pre-season pundits were absolutely correct picking us last in the conference. I didn’t give credit to just how unsuited our linemen were to run pro style over diving at knees.
NOw, come on. Nobody dived at the knees. You werem't paying attention. Wake up.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Please elaborate. What plays “work around” the offensive and defensive lines?
Great rhetorical question. If the coaches want to run long-developing RPO plays, then the players have to execute. If it's 3rd and 15 and the coaches want to run play action because a defense is clearly looking for a run on 3rd and 15, then the players have to execute. This isn't on the coaches.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We gave away two TDs that took us out of a game we were almost already out of. The blocked punt was on the punter who took too many steps. The failed fourth and 4 deep in our own territory was on coaching. Our run D stunk in the first half. Graham needs to run past the sticks out of bounds, not continually come up short of the 1st down effort. I question the odds on our last play: throw it to a walk-on freshman down the middle covered by three defenders. P'Node still sticking to the second down run up the middle on 2nd and 12 even though it usually puts us in 3rd and 10-12. Coaches and QB still learning. Mason/Howard doing a good job. OL....well better snaps and low number of penalties. Oliver not enough touches. Wasted one of Yates 4 games (what are the coaches thinking?)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Please elaborate. What plays “work around” the offensive and defensive lines?

The argument is literally we should have kept the same offense because it's all they know how to do. We've had people here claim we should have kept that offense, recruit for a different one, and only run the new system when the new recruits get into it. It's an absurd notion but one that has actually been presented.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Why in the world waste a game with Yates on one PAT when we were behind by like 3 TD's. Now he can play 3 more without losing a red shirt. Made no sense. I have to question the mentality of that substitution at that time. Kick the point and go for 2 if you score again. The 4th down calls were bad in this deep formation. This coaching staff is losing me real fast.
Our DL is undersized and not athletic enough to compensate for it. We could have used Big B in the middle of the DL.
We could not block their blitz all day.
The score did not really indicate how badly we were beat today.
BTW I was at the game. Maybe 20k at most for their homecoming. We usually have more Tech fans here as well. This is a tough year.

LJ is hurt and Oliver is a receiver. So who plays?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It is simply disgusting that the same fans that whined about going 7-6 are willing to "throw away" seasons for some future "hope" There is no other words except disgust. Any AD that willingly throws away seasons should be canned. This is not pro sports that you play for future draft picks. These kids get 4-5 years to play at this level. NO season is a throw away. It is disgusting you think that is okay.

Where did I ever say I think it is okay? My opinion means nothing so why are you getting so mad. I’m just stating what is obvious that we all are watching. The game plan is to turn the roster and get in new players. It has nothing to do with disgust. I’m just pointing out the obvious. Emotions don’t play into any of this. College football is a business and what “the kids” think during their 4-5 years means nothing.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Equal footing was caveated by size. We can’t keep expecting our guys fight above their weight class and expect to win.

Because unlike anyone else for except 40 or so players i went thru a football transition, i spent a yr around CGC & know how geniune he is, i know what it takes to win a ACC title. Our current elements not it, but I’m absolutely confident we’ll get there sooner rather than later

I don’t know Collins but I trust your word. We have equal expectations, I just didn’t expect the band aid to be ripped off. We are having to watch an open wound heal

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Seriously, wth kinda football is played around the o & d lines?
I mean, both the flexbone and the air raid (and to some extent Chip Kelly spread back in the day) have proven you can be effective with smaller line than your opposition.

I don’t know what the answer is on defense, as DL plays seems to also be a problem with teams running those offenses.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Oliver or kick it. It’s not as if Oliver has forgotten how to take a snap.
Agreed. Plus, my understanding is that LJ was suited up for this game. Why would he do that if he couldn't get in for a single play? Even rolling Byrne out there would be better than burning a Yates' game for a single essentially meaningless play. What happens if Graham gets hurt and Yates has to play in four more games moving forward?

This is the latest in a line of major head-scratchers from this coaching staff this season that have absolutely nothing to do with talent or offensive transition.

LJ is hurt and Oliver is a receiver. So who plays?

This right here is what I worry was CGC's thought process. Shallow, amateur decision-making from a head coach.

I've been concerned about CGC's in-game decision-making all year, but this call, even if it plays out to be meaningless by the end of Yates' career, may be the moment that I completely write off his ability to manage a game.

I cannot for the life of me think of a single logical reason to run Yates out there for one play at that point in this game. Put in LJ or kick the PAT and try again next time. Somebody please explain this decision and restore some of my hope.
Absolutely STUPID STUPID STUPID decision on his part

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
There were GT fans screaming our past recruiting was really bad. Now we are seeing how bad.
Past receiving has nothing to do with what we are seeing.

Past recruiting did not put us in potential 1 win seasons. Need to stop with all these excuses.

We're not running what is best for the team. People keep saying the players aren't good for for what we are trying to run, I see it as coaches aren't good fits for what we should be running to maximize our talent. Remember this was a bowl team last year not potential 1win.

Not trying to single you out btw, but I've read a ton of posts insinuating what you are saying in this thread.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Plus, my understanding is that LJ was suited up for this game. Why would he do that if he couldn't get in for a single play? Even rolling Byrne out there would be better than burning a Yates' game for a single essentially meaningless play. What happens if LG gets hurt and Yates has to play in four more games moving forward?

If Graham gets hurt either Yates would have burned his redshirt anyways, or he will maintain his eligibility, with the exception being if it's exactly 4 more games. Even then, if we really want to save his redshirt we can play LJ for a game.

Overall we have a freshman QB in his first year in the system who needs all the snaps he can get, and that includes the ones normally that would be given to guys redshirtting. It's an inconsequential decision.

WTH go for 2 anyway?

To make it a two score game?

Deleted member 2897

Bet low on Duke to cover, snuck in for the win again. More money for the GTAA. 0-6 against the spread.

On the road against an *** Miami team, but who just beat Virginia. I’m guessing a 14-16 point spread. I’ll bet small again if it’s around that, but still for Miami to cover.

Deleted member 2897

CGC ripped off the band aid and using this year to run his future schemes, even though we’re not good at running them. He’s banking that this years practice will help us next year at the expense of this year. They should be embarrassed at how non competitive we’ve been, but IIWII. At this rate we’ll continue to have the conversation about if this will be the worst season in the last 115 years.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not a fan of Cutcliffe either but he is vastly superior to what we have now. Maybe Collins improves with experience but right now he is a recruiter period.

Which is why he was hired. TStan made the conscious decision to hire a recruiter. Why is this now just breaking news? Maybe Collins becomes an average X’s and O’s type coach one day. But that’s not why we hired him. He was hired to bring in a better class of players so in a few years guys like Graham, Brown, others can flourish. I’m excited because we’ll get back to having bigger bodies which will allow the skilled guys to put up numbers. Right now it sucks, but let’s be honest it’s sucked since Mills set the rushing record in Jacksonville. It’s been a long 3 years so I can easily wait another 2 years until guys like Wiggle usher in the next era.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Graham gets hurt either Yates would have burned his redshirt anyways, or he will maintain his eligibility, with the exception being if it's exactly 4 more games. Even then, if we really want to save his redshirt we can play LJ for a game.
This is exactly my point, in your scenario at best we're potentially trading a full game of a better QB for a single play down 18 points in the 4th quarter. At worst, we're burning a year of a promising quarterback in what should be a much better offensive season. Yes, the chances of it being exactly four games may be slim, but they are far better than the chances of that PAT meaning anything for the season.

That decision made no logical sense at the time and sure as hell doesn't in hindsight. I can't fathom a scenario where it will have any positive benefit for the team or for Yates, but there are several realistic ones where it will put both in a bad spot.