Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

Deleted member 2897

Final tally on offense was just under 400 yards. We had like 25 yards more offense than Duke. Progress. Whack a mole tho - gave up 38 straight points after scoring first. Sad.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see a breakdown on O and D recruits that go into these numbers. But anyway, recruiting a lineman that is smaller but quicker is different than recruiting one that is bigger and slow. Even if they have the same amount of stars beside their name.
Here lies the problem. Coach Cut recruited linemen better fitted to his scheme than CPJ recruited to fit his scheme. And now we even have changed offensive schemes. It is going to take awhile.
What really bothers me is that play call on 4th and 1 on our own 35. I would love to hear coach P explain that one.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly my point, at best we're potentially trading a full game of a better QB in your scenario for a single play down 18 points in the 4th quarter. Yes, the chances of it being exactly four games may be slim, but they are far better than the chances of that PAT meaning anything for the season.

Slim chance of it happening and slimmer chance of it making a difference.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Bet low on Duke to cover, snuck in for the win again. More money for the GTAA. 0-6 against the spread.

On the road against an *** Miami team, but who just beat Virginia. I’m guessing a 14-16 point spread. I’ll bet small again if it’s around that, but still for Miami to cover.

Answering the question why you put in a trFr at QB to go for two when down by 18. The line was 17.5

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Slim chance of it happening and slimmer chance of it making a difference.
I acknowledged that, but you still concede there's a chance it matters, now explain to me what benefit of rolling Yates out there today outweighs that risk? The probability of the only benefit I can think of - greater chance of Yates converting vs. any of LJ, TO, or Liam and then that conversion making a difference in the game - is microscopic.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Please elaborate. What plays “work around” the offensive and defensive lines?

Not sure you can work around the D line, as has been seen for multiple years now. The 3O and option plays in general do allow for some blocking schemes and strategy that can get you big plays.

FYI - If we have to have a top 15 D and O line to compete, we are in BIG, BIG trouble going forward. That ain't happening.

EDIT: For that matter, a consistent top 25 D or O line.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I acknowledged that, but you still concede there's a chance it matters, now explain to me what benefit of rolling Yates out there today outweighs that risk? Because the improved probability of Yates converting vs. LJ, TO, or Liam and then that conversion making a difference in the game is microscopic

That's why I said it was an inconsequential decision. The chance of it costing us anything significant is also microscopic. The only way it costs us something is if it's exactly 4 games, Yates is an actual improvement over Johnson, and that improvement is enough to affect the outcome of the game. It makes no difference.

Animal02

Banned
Agreed. Plus, my understanding is that LJ was suited up for this game. Why would he do that if he couldn't get in for a single play? Even rolling Byrne out there would be better than burning a Yates' game for a single essentially meaningless play. What happens if Graham gets hurt and Yates has to play in four more games moving forward?

This is the latest in a line of major head-scratchers from this coaching staff this season that have absolutely nothing to do with talent or offensive transition.

This right here is what I worry was CGC's thought process. Shallow, amateur decision-making from a head coach.
That is what you get from a two year HC at a G5..... But TStan was wise enought to pay him top dollar to hopefully learn on the job over 7 years. Make you wonder if CGC has compromising photos of TStan or something :cautious:

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That's why I said it was an inconsequential decision. The chance of it costing us anything significant is also microscopic. The only way it costs us something is if it's exactly 4 games, Yates is an actual improvement over Johnson, and that improvement is enough to affect the outcome of the game. It makes no difference.

So the best explanation for this decision that anyone has presented is that it doesn't really matter either way? I reckon that's probably the mindset of our head coach and why this decision was further validation that he is in over his head on game days. Sorry, but the chances of Graham getting hurt against UVA and requiring Yates to play out the season are not microscopic.

And if they decide to play LJ in one of those games instead of Yates, it puts the team at a competitive disadvantage they wouldn't have faced if today's decision was actually thought through.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Not sure you can work around the D line, as has been seen for multiple years now. The 3O and option plays in general do allow for some blocking schemes and strategy that can get you big plays.

FYI - If we have to have a top 15 D and O line to compete, we are in BIG, BIG trouble going forward. That ain't happening.

EDIT: For that matter, a consistent top 25 D or O line.
I don’t think anyone believes Tech needs a top 15 O Line and D Line to compete. Neither of the lines are even top 100 right now. You can scheme around a line that’s even considered competent compared to other Power 5 teams. This line is no where near that level. Starting 2 walkons on the OL is unheard of in this age of college football. Most teams have at least 10 scholarship linemen. To be down to 3 scholarship guys starting is unimaginable, and would mean horrible seasons for every team in the country.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So Curry has to sit a Half or a Quarter vs um?

That kid has worked his rear end off and really improved.

Naturally a puke p.o.s. targeted one of our players and it was fine with the ACC.

Be it puke or uwine, any sport, when you play one of those 2 you start out in the hole.

The conference claims of being so academically superior and ethically pure are the exact reasons why it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m so tired hearing of y’all just point out 2 schools when there is 10 teams on our schedule. We may not out recruit them but we damn sure better get on equal footing/have fighting chance when it comes to size & depth.
I’m gonna laugh my *** off when at the end of the Mother of All Rebuilds in the History of College Football Evvvvverr we do nothing more than churn out 6-8 win seasons with an occasional magic season. Like we’ve done - oh - for the past 60 years.

The mental gymnastics people will put themselves through at the end of this road is gonna be entertaining as hell.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
If I remember correctly it was in the 1st half so he's good to play for Miami. If it was in the 2nd half he has to miss the first half of the next game.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think my biggest take away right now for the season is that there is progress, while not wins I see progress on offense
Defense is questionable

I think what I've learned is that once you go option based ball, you either just stick with it and recruit well or it's going to be a long transition back

It seems like it was easier for tech to transition to option ball than it is the other way around, but partly because we started the cpj era with better recruits than now

Either way this is maybe a 1-2 win season right now all we can hope is that Collins knows what to do for next year cause this isn't fun right now . Collins didn't help with hyping this season up to the max only for it to be the opposite, just be honest with us. At least cpj could be blunt to the media

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think my biggest take away right now for the season is that there is progress, while not wins I see progress on offense
Defense is questionable

I think what I've learned is that once you go option based ball, you either just stick with it and recruit well or it's going to be a long transition back

It seems like it was easier for tech to transition to option ball than it is the other way around, but partly because we started the cpj era with better recruits than now

Either way this is maybe a 1-2 win season right now all we can hope is that Collins knows what to do for next year cause this isn't fun right now . Collins didn't help with hyping this season up to the max only for it to be the opposite, just be honest with us

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk