Duke Postgame: GT loses 41-23

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is all in one anything. This is the coach and staff our school hired. I’m rooting for him just like I’ve rooted for every GT coach. It is up to the people GT hired to create their destiny, not us. I loved CPJ and still do. But he left and after the last few seasons it was the right call. I wish we would have hired Saban but we didn’t.

I would rather have our guy than that narcissistic SOB. Let Alabama have him.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
He tried to go run heavy and gave Oliver a chance early in the season. It didnt work and people complained. If you are going to lose, at least get useful reps out of it.

yes he did try run heavy at the start but he was run heavy with one back out of the shotgun. He has some big guys in the backfield, he couldn’t decide what run set was best. RPO or pro style 2 back set. He picked the RPO which in hindsight wasn’t the correct pick. Remember he was also rotating 3 QBs at that time also.

it is what it is , the OL isn’t in the shape to reliably do either at this point

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
HG: I wish I believed it would take 3 years of this to dwindle our crowds. They will begin dwindling immediately. If we are this bad, or close to it, when the season begins next year, we may see some historically low numbers.

Possible, college football fans in general not just Tech "fans" are becoming more fickle by the moment. They just quit going if things are not going well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Your point is in clear contradiction of what Cutcliffe wanted based on his comments. They didnt get 60 bc we didn’t allow it

Well, to be fair, this is actually a clear contradiction of what Cutcliffe said. He said they didn't get 60 because his guys stopped playing with an edge.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Charlie Thomas made some plays. Both Swillings made some good hits. I am still waiting for some big runs. Mason had to fight for yardage. He is a big time player without much OL help. The reverse was a good play. JG took too many hit's today and does not throw accurately when on the run. He still doesn't seem to read the handoff to the back. Not sure what he supposed to read but it was not pretty today and lots of lost yardage.
The rocket toss worked but unfortunately it was Duke running it.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Why in the world waste a game with Yates on one PAT when we were behind by like 3 TD's. Now he can play 3 more without losing a red shirt. Made no sense. I have to question the mentality of that substitution at that time. Kick the point and go for 2 if you score again.

I've been concerned about CGC's in-game decision-making all year, but this call, even if it plays out to be meaningless by the end of Yates' career, may be the moment that I completely write off his ability to manage a game.

I cannot for the life of me think of a single logical reason to run Yates out there for one play at that point in this game. Put in LJ or kick the PAT and try again next time. Somebody please explain this decision and restore some of my hope.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
And, you made my point. Equal footing will require either equal recruiting OR slightly less recruiting with SUPERIOR coaching. It will depend on how much less recruiting wise on how much the coaching will have to make the difference. You guys are "all in" on this staff and HC, and I just don't see it.

Equal footing was caveated by size. We can’t keep expecting our guys fight above their weight class and expect to win.

Because unlike anyone else for except 40 or so players i went thru a football transition, i spent a yr around CGC & know how geniune he is, i know what it takes to win a ACC title. Our current elements not it, but I’m absolutely confident we’ll get there sooner rather than later

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
I hate cutcliffe. But How many passes did duke throw in the 2nd half? Again I won’t watch a replay of this but it seemed to me they decided to burn clock and try to run down our throats.

I am the biggest 3O fan there is but did see some positives and don’t want to kill our kids. They worked their asses off today. And I think Graham did as good a job as he was able to do. But I do think Duke could’ve put a big hurt on us. Just my opinion though.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Equal footing was caveated by size. We can’t keep expecting our guys fight above their weight class and expect to win.

Because unlike anyone else for except 40 or so players i went thru a football transition, i spent a yr around CGC & know how geniune he is, i know what it takes to win a ACC title. Our current elements not it, but I’m absolutely confident we’ll get there sooner rather than later

OK, fair point. But size, without top notch wheels, won't matter enough either. At GT, coaching will make the difference. I am not sure we have the difference makers at those posts, and especially at OC and HC.

I will trust you on CGG's sincerity, and I have never questioned that, but I do question his HEAD coaching acumen until he shows me something to change my concerns.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am not a fan of Cutcliffe either but he is vastly superior to what we have now. Maybe Collins improves with experience but right now he is a recruiter period.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Offensive PPD (you'll have to figure out the Def PPD on your own ;))
1st Half
... Duke 6.2 ... GT 2.00
2nd Half
... Duke 0.5 ... GT 2.00
Game
... Duke 3.09 ... GT 2.00​

vs Pwr5 before today:
Duke: DefPPD 2.22, OffPPD 1.98
GT: DefPPD 3.33, OffPPD 1.47

So, we're getting better.

I still have to laugh at the guy who thinks CPJ went into his scheme and called 3 fumble plays last year against Duke. Fwiw, I suspect that the QB who's now Duke's starter as they sometimes run flexbone plays was probably running them for the last 3 years on their scout team, but that's just a guess on my part.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
41 minus 23 equals 18. The line was 17.5. No wonder those dudes in Vegas have those big shiny paid in full buildings. We got beat at the line of scrimmage, pure and simple. Our offensive play calling is erratic and a better job would have probably made the game a 7 to 10 point game. But hey, they were the better team and earned the win. Our defense plays to not get beat and not to win. Wrong attitude for a great defense. That has to change if we ever want to get better. Must have an attacking ball hawking defense to compete at an elite level. Need more aggressive schemes and people.

Go Jackets!